Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default The Cancelled Shows you Remember .....

One of the favorite things about finding old TV Guides is those classic Fall Preview issues. The ones where you see a bunch of shows you know won't be around that 2nd year. This this thread is about those same shows. Now to make this thread work if you list a show and discuss it....you can't name one that has been around a few seasons and not rated as high that finally was cancelled. Almost all of us know that Firefly , Angel and other shows.

To start this , I got a 1987 TV Guide for 50 cents the other day. This one had numerous shows that died. One of them was this one that died a quick death. I never knew Dennis Weaver made another TV series after one in the 1970's.

This was the description of the TV Series....

Said to be based on the the television health personality Dr. "Red" Duke, "Buck James" focuses on the career and adventures of a Texas hospital emergency room chief who is also passionately devoted to ranching.
    Anyhow why did a TV series starring Dennis Weaver who had already been in 2 successful shows fail ? According to Wikipedia the show ranked #82 for the season and faced stiff competition on Sunday nights in 1987. Family Ties (17th) , My 2 Dads (21st) on NBC was tough to beat. Over at CBS Murder She Wrote (9th) and the CBS Sunday Movie (18th) was on against it.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

It's fairly recent, but I really liked Almost Human. There was, I thought, a lot of promise for what season two could have done and the cast was really good.

Just too bad.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Sym-Bionic Titan and Motorcity were two animated shows I remember enjoying greatly that got cancelled. Both ended after their first seasons, consisting of 20 episodes each.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Amazing Member

Parker Lewis Can't Lose.

BANNED

Pushing Daisies.

Incredible Member

Here's two old ones.

John Doe

Fortune Dane

Quote Originally Posted by doc chaos View Post
    Parker Lewis Can't Lose.
    I think you mean Ferris Bueller.

Amazing Member

Ferris Bueller didn't have Kubiak!!!

Tenspeed & Brownshoe. Jeff Goldblum and Ben Vereen as quirky private eyes.

BANNED

Millennium and Angel hit me the hardest. I liked Millennium more than any other show, but I wasn't as mad about its cancellation as I was about Angel's.

Angel was supposed to have a season 6, but didn't because Joss Whedon requested an early renewal. It was definitely going to happen but I guess Whedon got a little impatient. Such a shame.

Millennium at least a good reason for being cancelled...low ratings. Still really sad though. I love that Lance Henriksen still wants to do a movie even in his 70's.

And as a Millennium fan, that so-called "finale" in the X-Files was such a letdown!

Freaks and Geeks. One of the best shows ever. I was more angry at it being cancelled than any other show before or since.

I loved the first and only season of ESPN's Playmakers, I also really enjoyed Hung on HBO.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

Stargate Universe
    Firefly

Spectacular Member

There was a Star Trek animated series that I remember as very good, something that I think adults were following also. I think it was a little too good and production costs were too high. I believe the live action cast was doing the voice-overs.

Somewhat recently, the rug was abruptly pulled from under Vinyl. I thought it had huge potential. It was great how the main character redeemed and renewed himself to begin the show, bringing some lightness into what in many ways was a dark era of drug and sex abuse. The only thing that wasn't done well were some rather poorly portrayed and written brief appearances of then-current rock idols. Thankfully they were all very brief. I never would have think that I'd enjoy Andrew Dice Clay so much in any way as an actor...great casting.

Big O had a final season that definitely was all about being a final season and wrap up, but I don't think it was planned to be that way like some others. I like most planned endings of series.
    Last edited by Filament; 10-03-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

X-Men: Evolution.