Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Don't know if anyone has seen this one, but The Fades lasted only 6 episodes even though it was extremely liked by viewers and won the BAFTA award for best new drama of 2012. I thought it was really cool and had loads of potential.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

Shows that were on public TV stations. Some of these were cancelled, others were only meant to be for a certain number of seasons (mainly BBS):
    Red Dwarf
    The Survivors. Perhaps the first post-plague TV series. It has a cult following.
    Red Green Show
    Of course Monty Python's Flying Circus
    As Time Goes By. Nice show for all ages.
    This one was a real little treasure. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Comical with serious observation of the modern human condition underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Filament View Post
    Shows that were on public TV stations. Some of these were cancelled, others were only meant to be for a certain number of seasons (mainly BBS):
    Red Dwarf
    The Survivors. Perhaps the first post-plague TV series. It has a cult following.
    Red Green Show
    This one was a real little treasure. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Comical with serious observation of the modern human condition underneath.
    There's actually a new series of Red Dwarf airing right now in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Manimal although I like the show the truth of the matter just didn't have the tech at the time to pull it off...
    Tales of the Gold Monkey -- oh man I wish it continued-
    Tales of the Gold Monkey was my favourite show when I was a kid and then it just disappeared. I was too young to understand about cancellation so I just kept hoping it would come back someday.

I have all the episodes on dvd but I find it hard to watch them ever since the sex allegations about the lead actor surfaced.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    Oh, cool. Except, BBC America stations really suck here. I think it is all American shows and films that are broadcast in Britain. Maybe PBS will have it some day.
    Last edited by Filament; 10-19-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Red Dwarf
    Red Dwarf had 6 "seasons" came back for 2 more, then a mini "season" and is back for 3 more!

It's turning into Doctor Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    The last I saw was X. Is XI any good?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

The last I saw was X. Is XI any good?
    To be honest the show is starting to show it's age a bit. It doesn't seem to be quite as laugh-out-loud funny as I remember and I suspect much of it's appeal now lies in nostalgia.

Red Dwarf
    Red Green Show
    Not exactly what I would call cancelled shows.

Red Dwarf is still going
    As Time Goes By had 9 series and wrapped up with a pair of specials
    Red Green had 15 seasons
    Monty Python was pulled by the group, as they felt it wasn't working anymore; but, continued in movies and stage shows
    Reginald Perrin reached a logical conclusion.

All great shows; but not quite "cancelled shows."

Compare to something like Filthy, Rich and Catflap, which had one series, before egos got in the way.

Spectacular Member

Red Dwarf is still going It stopped being shown where I live, and many people still wanted to watch. That's cancelled as far as I'm concerned.
    As Time Goes By had 9 series and wrapped up with a pair of specials See above. I know there were 9 seasons. They didn't show all of those where I live.
    Red Green had 15 seasons I never kept count of how many seasons it was on. It was on for a while before I started watching it.
    Monty Python was pulled by the group, as they felt it wasn't working anymore; but, continued in movies and stage shows They decided after so many seasons that they'd end it.
    Reginald Perrin reached a logical conclusion. Yes, that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it. It was not meant to be on longer than after the story was finished. That is how many BBC shows are.

You forgot The Survivors. It was another one that reached a conclusion. Or maybe it was cancelled and then they came up with a conclusion.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

We currently live in a golden age of super hero shows. With shows ranging from Arrow on the CW Network to Daredevil on netflix. Comic book shows have became the norm and a number of networks have tried them. With the best success being the CW and Netflix coming out ahead. But for a number of years , this wasn't always the case. In fact we have to go back to the 1960's when ABC decided to roll the dice on a new show called "Batman".

The show exploded on the scene and became a cultural hit with the cast of characters and actors who played them. Within months after being a mid-season replacement , BAT-MANIA had gripped the nation. And networks that competed with ABC saw the success of the campy , fun Batman show and decided ...to try their hand at a TV series. The ones attempted wouldn't do well at all....

In 1967 CBS had seen the success of Batman and decided to roll out their own superhero concept. This one as more of a comedy and not tied to any super hero character from DC Comics. This one was called ...Mr. Terrific.

The series starred the character Stanley Beamish (Stephen Strimpell) who as a mild mannered filing clerk who once given a pill (and the only man who can take it by the way) would become a super hero for an hour. He was called Mr. Terrific and would be the world's 1st super human. He also comically was a bumbling type who never really knew how to use his powers.

Of course the show would get a short run as it seemingly was ahead of its time and became a cult hit later. The show ran 17 episodes only and ended in August 1967 due to not hitting the success that Batman had. In a shocker though Strimpell wasn't the 1st choice for Beamish , it was in fact ...Alan Young. Who had just wrapped up Mr. Ed and was the producers 1st choice. He was in this un-aired pilot from 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKFNU_xmAk

Not to be out done , NBC decided to do their super-hero show and it almost was nearly like Mr. Terrific. This show created by Buck Henry was called "Captain Nice".

What made Captain Nice unique was those involved with it. Nice was created by Buck Henry (creator of Get Smart) and starred two actors who would go onto bigger fame in other roles. One is William Daniels who would go on to star in St. Elsewhere in the 1980's and "Boy Meets World" as Mr. Feeny. And Alice Ghostley who played his wife on the series is more famous for playing Esmeralda on Bewitched and roles on Mayberry RFD and Designing Women.

Like Mr. Terrific , Captain Nice ran from January 1967 to August 1967. Both runs were short lived and Nice had 15 episodes. Captain Nice however replayed on the short lived HA network in 1991 and was collected on DVD from Germany .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Having just watched the not so classic Smokey and the Bandit 3 (which is an entirely different story itself and insane to get into for this) , I remembered the actual once in a lifetime hit those 1st 2 films were. Driven by the great charisma of Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason , the 1st 2 "Smokey and the Bandit" films created an era of road chase films that lasted for years.

The film was such a hit that Hal Needham was able to move from being a long time stunt man to a pretty big director . And as I posted the film would inspire years of these crazy car films like Cannonball and more. By the mid 1980's however the films had been done so many times that audiences tired of them. Burt Reynolds was asked to do the 3rd Smokey film and declined (except for a cameo at the end) . Jackie Gleason sadly passed away in 1987 and that seemed to seal the deal we would never get another Smokey and the Bandit film.

However in the mid 1990's Universal Pictures was experimenting with some ideas for a syndication block of TV shows and films to do. Called "Action Packed" the block would launch 2 huge hits in Hercules : The Legendary Journey's" and Xena : Warrior Princess. The others was Tekwar and Vanishing Son in a series of TV films. The Action Packed block would air til 2001 with the only big shows being Hercules and Xena that remained.

But Universal and Hal Needham decided to do a concept that was beyond insane. One that even today would stun folks. And make you wonder whose idea was to pitch this concept.

The show would feature a 20ish "Bandit" now with the Smokey part removed essentially. Just focusing on this young Bandit who was growing his legend. But here was the weirdness of the show. Some of the show claims this was a prequel to the films set 20 years earlier , yet this Bandit (portrayed by Brian Bloom) was driving 1990's era Trans Am and the show seemed to take part in the present day 1990's. A later explanation I believe was this was the next Generation "Bandit" and had inherited the title from his father , the 1st Bandit. But the confusing , is this a prequel series ? Is it the next generation didn't help.

Over the next 2 years Universal ran 4 TV films with the idea possibly of launching a TV series like they had Hercules and Xena. They did the same with Vanishing Son. But the response was terrible and the TV films was so bad , it likely didn't help Bloom's career then. Stepping into a role Reynolds made at his peak was never gonna work. In all the TV films have disappeared from the memories of many folks.

Today Bloom is more known for his video game voice work and TV appearances. His stint as the Bandit or next generation one is forgotten. At least we shall always have this folks to remember the original films by...

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I still remember the Bandit movies. Those were awful. Why is the Bandit getting involved in some hillbilly family reunion? He should be getting in cross country car chases, not hanging out in Hazard County.
    Actually, that's a crossover I would have liked to seen. Too bad.

BANNED

I believe Bloom drove a Dodge Stealth

Yeah, I remember seeing those movies on the then fledgling WB Network on Saturday nights

they were enjoyable to a kid in middle school and yes having Elizabeth Berkley and Traci Lords pop up helped as well

Still flying

Quote Originally Posted by SwampyCA View Post
    Attachment 27703

FX how could you take this away from us
    This was such a great show and still holds to this day.

Malcom in the Middle