Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I enjoyed it too.
    I found it on CBS All Access during my free trial and much like Frasier, it still holds up, its still funny though some of the jokes are a bit dated

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Here one that I thought was pretty funny , but I doubt many have seen it

I remember this show. I thought it was hilarious. Used to watch it every Saturday, along with "She-Wolf Of London". Did either of those ever get a home video release?

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

The #1 show cancelled before it had a chance to resolve its story and end on its own terms --to me-- was Deadwood....

Magic City, The Bridge, Copper, Quarry, the Knick, Marco Polo, Penny Dreadful, and Rome all get honorable mentions...

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    The #1 show cancelled before it had a chance to resolve its story and end on its own terms --to me-- was Deadwood....

Magic City, The Bridge, Copper, Quarry, the Knick, Marco Polo, Penny Dreadful, and Rome all get honorable mentions...
    On the off chance you did not know about this...

I came across someone interviewing Timothy Olyphant, and he brought up that he felt the show was safe because he and Ian McShane had just negotiated significant raises. Shortly thereafter, he got the call that the show was done.

Odd.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    I remember this show. I thought it was hilarious. Used to watch it every Saturday, along with "She-Wolf Of London". Did either of those ever get a home video release?
    SHE-WOLF OF LONDON did indeed receive a DVD release in the early part of this decade. Unfortunately, with one hang up. The original opening credits for the first half of the season aren't used. But the credits when the show had to made when the London producers pulled out, the show changed its local to Los Angeles, and the show ended up going by the name, LOVE & CURSES.

Incredible Member

As opposed to the cooler, moodier opening credits for the show. Especially fun to watch on Friday nights on the old school Sci-Fi Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    I found it on CBS All Access during my free trial and much like Frasier, it still holds up, its still funny though some of the jokes are a bit dated
    I watched it in its original run. And dated jokes happen to any show over the passage of time so I worry less about that than if it retains any sense of the funny at all.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I watched it in its original run. And dated jokes happen to any show over the passage of time so I worry less about that than if it retains any sense of the funny at all.
    as did I, and i still enjoyed it

Lea Thompson can carry a show, I know she has been in Switched At Birth the past 6 or so years

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think I was more pissed off about that show getting cancelled than any other show getting cancelled before or since.
    Huh.

Alcatraz bugged me quite a bit more than that. Let alone that My So-Called Life ended on a straight up question mark.

At least Freaks And Geeks ended at something like the end of a chapter.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On the off chance you did not know about this...

I came across someone interviewing Timothy Olyphant, and he brought up that he felt the show was safe because he and Ian McShane had just negotiated significant raises. Shortly thereafter, he got the call that the show was done.

Odd.
    I didn't know... thanks for the info.... it explains a lot...lol... I hope that they eventually get that movie made to wrap the show up... they talk about it all the time, but it seems to be hung up in pre-production... at least we're getting a Sense-8 wrap-up flick...

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Huh.

Alcatraz bugged me quite a bit more than that. Let alone that My So-Called Life ended on a straight up question mark.

At least Freaks And Geeks ended at something like the end of a chapter.
    I didn't watch either of those so their being cancelled had no affect on me.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Tron Uprising.

Like Avengers EMH and Young Justice, a great show that was cancelled on a cliff hanger after it's second season.

Madame's Place

Now I know how people feel when they say they thought they imagined Rubik the Amazing Cube. I thought I imagined Madame's Place but nope, it happened. All 150 episodes (5 days a week in 1982).

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

With the recent news of Scott Baio being accused of sexually being active with a young Nicole Eggert (he denies this and says she was 18) , Baio's career was super hot in 1970's and 1980's. As a young star on Happy Days Baio had a look that women naturally fell for. Of course networks always saw Baio's looks and charm on screen and tried to naturally use him. Happy Days producers famously created a failed spin-off called "Joanie loves Chachi" to sell that. It failed within 2 seasons.

Baio had a charm and led to his 2nd big sitcom run "Charles in Charge" which had a really 80's pop song intro. As Baio ended his run on this sitcom he was in his early 30's and seemed destined to move to his next big show. Its here that Baio would start to feel the changing times and his name slowly losing steam. Also he signed onto one of the wildest sitcoms that literally had chaos behind the scenes.

Lets go back to a movie called "Look Who's Talking". The movie did huge at the box office in 1989/1990 and became a huge hit film for Columbia. The movie told the story of a baby we hear (voice by Bruce Willis) who is born to Kristie Ally's character out of an affair she has. John Travolta played the love interest in the film. The movie did a huge box office and Columbia naturally felt this would work as a sitcom.

So they quickly signed a deal with ABC to import "Look Who's Talking" to the network as a sitcom and part of the growing TGIF lineup. But within months of starting work problems set in. Originally the actress who was supposed to play the role of "Maggie" was Connie Selleca. She was even part of ABC's hype package promoting the new show that fall. But Selleca suddenly decided to quit after a few episodes was taped because she was not satisfied with the role.

Then Columbia decided to change the name of the series due to the fact they were doing a sequel to the film and didn't want to create confusion. So the TV series became..."Baby Talk". Also replacing Selleca in the role was ...Juia Duffy who had just came off a 7 season run on Newhart. Also new characters and a new situation was made to change the series from the film as well.

ABC moved forward with Baby Talk in 1991 that spring (which due to Selleca's walking out likely delayed its 1990 launch). Anyhow the series launched with Maggie a single mother living in a nice loft that was being worked on by handy man Joe (played by George Clooney !) . There was other construction guys and Maggie's friends plus he voice of Tony Danza as Mickey. Danza even appeared on an episode as Mickey's father.

After a season of 12 episodes in spring 1991 , more upheaval happened and another actress quit as Maggie. This time the show revamped the entire cast except for the Jessup twins who played Mickey. Julia Duffy was out as Maggie and replaced by Mary Page Keller . Keller was coming off a weird experience with Fox and I'll detail that in another cancelled shows. Because that story is bizarre. Anyhow she had been around soap operas and sitcoms for a decade but never had a hit.

The series also added Maggie's friends and her mother played by Polly Bergan. Who was a veteran TV actress who had a 7 decade career before she passed away in 2014 ! The show wanted a male star to throw sparks with Keller's character. So they cast a 32 year old Scott Baio as the new character called James Holbrook. Who worked as a super for the building and gave him an excuse to interact with Maggie daily.

This time the series would get a full season order and 23 episodes. With no changes that full year finally. Then the series died in the ratings. There would be no more saving Baby Talk after this. The series would end after 1992 and is considered a silly concept and low mark for TGIF's lineup then. It was also Baio's 1st real failure as an actor in a sitcom. One that he could not keep around unlike Charles in Charge that moved to syndication in 1987.

This seems to have winged Baio in a sense as he would only get a 3 season run on Diagnosis Murder from 1993-1995 before leaving to do "Rewind" at Fox. Which was such a comical disaster from urban legend it has to be told. Anyhow story goes ...Baio signed on to do a show where the main character gets to rewind time (Picture Life is Strange) and fix mistakes in a comedy. He discovers he has this gift to do so. Anyhow Baio filmed a pilot , Fox demanded they reshoot it. They did ...reshoot again ...repeat and they wanted changes and removal of the entire concept. Finally cancelling it before it even aired. (That is the urban legend of Rewind).

But after 2 decades Baio's decision to do Baby Talk maybe wasn't a wise one.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Saved By The Bell - The New Class lasted 7 seasons but never got the cultural zeitgeist the original had...and if I had to guess...SYNDICATION

back when syndication was a thing, the original series was a modest success until the rights were sold into syndication in the mid 90s and that skyrocketed the shows popularity