Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
    Standing Member

If I haven't mentioned it before, THE GOOD LIFE (1971) was one of my favourite shows. It starred Larry Hagman and Donna Mills as a couple that leave their drab existence for the fun of being butler and cook to David Wayne's rich home owner.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Captain Simian and the Spaaaaaaaaaaaace Monkeys!
    "I rhyme with tyre
    And cause pollution
    I think you'll find
    It's the best solution

What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Strange Luck.

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

With the changes at Fox and 21st Century Fox and the TV/Animation division now property of Disney , its hard to believe that the main network has been around 30+ years. The network is entering its biggest change ahead since the days it launched back in 1987. But we have to go back and examine how wild this launch was and I'll run down 2 of the shows time has forgotten.

Nearly 30 years before Netflix did "Orange is the New Black" , this show was produced. This comedy would star a group of women who were behind bars. You had the various characters "Vicki Sprangler " the 80's yuppie who is new to prison. The old prisoner who had been there 10 years "Eve Shipley" , one prisoner was named "Dawn Murphy" who killed her abusive ex-husband and finally the prostitute named "Bonnie Harper".

Fox had high hopes for this series and placed it on its 2 night debut schedule in 1987. The cast also included CCH Pounder (Murphy) , Wendie Jo Sperber (who had been in Back to Future and had a TV/Film career before and after this) and former Saturday Night Live actress Denny Dillon who is remembered for being part of the god awful Saturday Night Live 1980 cast. Overall the series had other character actors/actresses involved but never could find its audience on the young launched network.

After 13 episodes Women in Prison would end . Comically how these women were in jail is more silly. One was in prison for shop lifting and another was in jail for prostitution. A 1st time shop lifter in this case. Which is pretty funny looking back at this.

Fox also aired shows on Saturday at launch then and one show they approved that was more of an attempt to lure the 21 Jump Street crowd was .."The New Adventures of Bean Baxter". The premise of the show was that Bean's father is a secret agent who gets kidnapped by an evil organization. The spy agency Bean's father worked for recruits him to take his place as the series has Bean trying to find his kidnapped father.

The show was created by Savage Steve Holland who wrote and directed many 1980's classic hits like "One Crazy Summer" and "How I got Into College" as well as creating later Eek the Cat . It starred Jonathon Ward who was coming off a few TV stints as a young actor on "Charles in Charge" and the short lived "Heart of Clay" he was signed to do this one. One wild note is that Ward originally wasn't gonna get this role. It was 1st offered to ....David Spade. Spade's agents told him to turn it down as he regretted doing it.

Ward would go on to win an award for Best New Young TV Actor for the role of Beans Baxter as well. So things would seem promising for this series possibly. The cast itself was veterans around Ward as well. Rick Lenz (who played his father) was a veteran TV/Film actor who has worked up til 2012. Elinor Donahue (who played his mother) was a veteran TV actress who had starred as a young girl in Father Knows Best and had been on various TV shows . She would still be seen in guest roles and spots til 2011.

Sadly for the show it would only last 17 episodes and end in 1988. This show would inspire seemingly the Frankie Muniz series of films "Agent Cody Banks" . You can still watch this series on youtube as people have posted some of the episodes.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Incredible Member

I remember the early Fox schedule and the shows weren't too bad. I liked Werewolf, Duet, Second Chance (which later became 'Where The Boys' Are I believe). I remember George C. Scott being in a half hour comedy about being a single President.

Standing Member

I was watching a thing on youtube that showed what was on the schedule for the whole week in 1961 on ABC, and I was surprised to see how many cartoon shows aired in prime time. Not just THE FLINTSTONES and THE BUGS BUNNY SHOW but other cartoons like TOP CAT. Really, this had to be a paradise for kid friendly entertainment and for the whole family. Lots of family sitcoms like LEAVE IT TO BEAVER and westerns like THE LAWMAN. It seems that Warner Brothes was the main producer of the ABC shows back then.

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

TV Shows at times can have the weird intersection of careers. Usually its where an older star is slowly easing out towards retirement or old age while on the other side of this is a young actor/actress who is coming on to bigger things. In both cases I'll run down where this happened in a way. Of course the last show was never cancelled. In fact its still airing even to this day.

Jack Klugman is a TV/Broadway and film legend. His work in the 1960's to 2000's in all mediums is praised a lot. Klugman moved from comedy like The Odd Couple after 5 seasons to starring in a drama series as forensic/medical examiner who uncovered murders in Quincy M.E for 6-7 seasons. Going into the 1980's Klugman really didn't need to do anymore considering he did 2 landmark TV shows and won Emmy Awards (and numerous nominations) for the shows he did.

But NBC and Klugman decided to do a new series that would debut in 1986 (3 years after Quincy M.E ended). This show would bring Klugman back to his comedic roots and be a comedy series. Of course the premise itself was one that looking back really wasn't a good choice character wise. Given that the character in "You Again ?" pretty much writes off his wife and son after she leaves him for another man. Yet a decade later the son returns to disrupt his fathers life.

Now sure You Again ? ran 2 seasons its claimed , but the show only ran a year. It debuted in the mid-season of 1986 and the show was renewed for the fall. It quickly was ended after another 13 episodes that ran til January 1987. But in any way this series ran a year more or less in 1986. The show itself as you can tell featured a young John Stamos. Which really brings up an older star slowly fading out while the younger one is rising as i posted.

What is amazing is this show actually finished #19th for the season (higher than 227 and Facts of Life) . But NBC then decided to start moving it around and pretty much killed the series within 13 episodes. Its claimed they changed the schedule 4 times on this show in the fall of 1986.

You Again also had a unique cast member in Elizabeth Bennett who would fly over from the UK to reprise the same role she was doing on the British version of this series. The British version actually was more popular and ran 4 series in the 1980's. Unlike this one which was cancelled within a year.

This would be Klugman's last TV series he would do. He would do TV , Films and Broadway the rest of his life even after beating throat cancer (which cost him his trademark voice , leaving him with a scratchy vocals) . Klugman would pass away in 2012 , a legend til the end as many will always remember him as Oscar Madison. Meanwhile John Stamos was just getting started in his long career in TV. Stamos the same year of 1987 would be cast as Uncle Jesse and would have many women go insane the next decade....Have Mercy.

Now the next show wasn't cancelled. It nearly was by NBC after a terrible season and as Lorne Michaels would joke its the closest he came to it. Saturday Night Live struggled in the early 1980's and only survived due to Eddie Murphy. His magic made the show survive and as Lorne Michaels returned to head the ship he faced a problem. He needed to recruit a whole new cast and do it quick. The 1984 cast had all departed as the stars (Short , Crystal etc) departed back to do films. So Lorne recruited the 1985 cast which would feature a future mega star.

The season had Lorne recruit the following actors/actresses for the 1985 new cast. The mix of young and experienced actors/actresses was a blessing and curse. Robert Downey Jr , Anthony Michael Hall , Joan Cusack , Nora Dunn , Randy Quaid , Dennis Miller , Damon Wayans and Jon Lovitz is just a few who were cast in this season. The series quickly had issues as Hall , Downey and Cusack had never really done sketch comedy before and the writers struggled with how to use this cast.

Things quickly became worse as the show struggled through a terrible year as Lorne had to beg the NBC President to give him a chance to bring in comedic actors to do the show he needed. Only Dunn , Lovitz , Miller and A. Whitney Brown was kept from the cast. And yes Robert Downey Jr. was let go from Saturday Night Live . A fact its joked now that a mega star like him was let go after 1 terrible season.

I'm sure Downey isn't hurting over that right now given he's just starred in what could be the all-time top earning film in history soon.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.