Incredible Member

carnivale - very stephen king-ish and ended with a cliffhanger
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZDuW7HPSw

the river - the found footage supernatural show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EyioRKjhBk

terra nova - expensive show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9lzcqo6sxc

Retired

I liked I'M WITH HER (2003 - 2004), starring Teri Polo and David Sutcliffe. It was like NOTTING HILL, the next chapter. Sadly only lasted a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I liked I'M WITH HER (2003 - 2004), starring Teri Polo and David Sutcliffe. It was like NOTTING HILL, the next chapter. Sadly only lasted a season.
    I actually liked this show too.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

BANNED

The First (2018) Hulu
    Rubicon (2010) AMC
    Happy! (2017) SyFy

and above all, The OA (2016) Netflix
    Last edited by Ozymandias; 11-09-2019 at 01:41 AM.

I'd like to see a serious reboot of Starsky & Hutch. Not the comedy version. Go back to making this more of a film noir show.
    I'd rather not see a gender-bend of either Starsky or Hutch, just expand their supporting characters. Make Huggy more of a serious character, keep him as a nightclub owner (on the old show, the follow-up seasons seemed to have him drifting from one hustle to another, for comic relief). Somebody like Blair Underwood could play Captain Dobey.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I believe awhile back I discussed the attempt by NBC in the early 1970's to reboot "The Virginian" in a way to draw off the spaghetti western era. That reboot lasted a 9th and final season called "The Men from Shiloh". While these changes did help the series overall (it improved in ratings) NBC saw the changing eras of the western ending and decided to cancel the series after that season.

Years earlier at another network they attempted this same near situation with rebooting a once popular series. This one was called..."77 Sunset Strip".

With the recent passing of Edd Byrnes this past week this series needs looked at and the wild change they attempted to do . But lets start at the beginning. The series 77 Sunset Strip was a private detective show that starred Efrem Zimbalist Jr. and Roger Smith. The tone early episodes was serious detective show until the 23rd episode where things began to change. The series became more lighter as a theme and the series went to self-deprecating humor. Plus the arrival of Edd Byrnes the show stumbled into a huge TV star then.

Byrnes character Gerald Lloyd "Kookie" Kookson II was a hipster cool guy who used a lot of slang and it caught on big. So big that at one point he demanded and earned a bigger contract from Warner Brothers who made the series as the 2nd season went on. He inspired a song that if you modern fans watch Married with..Children you heard in his guest spot called "Kookie , Kookie..lend me your comb". The series for a few years became HOT as young Hollywood actors competed for guest roles on the series. The show was a big deal for ABC a few years.

But by 1963 the series had started to grow stale. In fact Byrnes asked to be let go from his contract as he had for years been unable to audition for roles that major film companies wanted him to do. He also wanted to avoid being typecast as he felt the Kookie character would do. Overall the entire show was essentially...ended or rebooted. What came next was a weird 77 Sunset Strip that final 6th season.

ABC handed 77 Sunset Strip to producer Jack Webb (he of Dragnet fame) and he rebooted the series with director William Conrad. This version became a more TV noir type series with only Efrem Zimbalist Jr. kept in his role as Detective Stuart Bailey. The entire series over went this change as everyone was gone. Bailey was darker in tone and had no connections to anyone who used to be in this series. They changed the sets , the intro and more of the series. Bailey himself had his background and personality change so it was like a DC Comics reboot of a character.

(here is a link to the classic theme)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ZbQS7lj9A

Essentially this was a whole new 77 Sunset Strip , with just the name and Bailey as links to the other show but had no connections to it.

Fans deserted the show in droves as the changes did nothing to keep them. Halfway through this season #6 (Or season #1 of reboot of 77 Sunset Strip) the show was cancelled. The episodes of this season would not be rerun for years and finally in 2017 on MeTV they would be shown in reruns.

Sadly all the stars of this series have passed away. Efrem Zimbalist Jr stayed a TV star for years. He would move onto the F.B.I series which ran nearly a decade on ABC. A number of people praised Zimbalist Jr as being a nice man to work with. He would show up on his daughters series Remington Steele in a guest role. Zimbalist Jr would pass away in 2014 at the age of 95.

Roger Smith would suffer health issues and be forced to leave the series after 3 seasons. He would later manage his wife Ann Marget for the next 50 years. Retiring from acting by 1980 due to myasthenia gravis. Smith would pass away in 2017. Byrnes would go on to play in films and TV guest spots. His most famous role film was on Grease.

In 1995 WB network attempted a reboot of 77 Sunset Strip and this one would have Clint Eastwood attached as producer with Jim Caviezel, Timothy Olyphant, and Maria Bello starring in it. There was a 25 minute pilot shot for the upfronts but it never moved any further.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Incredible Member

Dirty, Sexy, Money. Damn writers guild strike!!!

This past weekend a long favorite TV series property was remade for the big screen. Yes folks I'm talking about Fantasy Island which this week debuted in the top #10 of the box office and was redone as a modern day horror movie by Blumhouse. This caused a lot of older fans of the original series to not be happy that the property was remade into a horror film. Even though the film was a cheaply made horror film and already in opening week made the studio a profit.

The original Fantasy Island that began in 1977 is considered an iconic show for its 2 main stars Ricardo Montalbán (Mr. Roarke) and Hervé Villechaize (Tattoo). Montalbán's smooth delivery and charm sold the show mixed with the sweetness of Villechaize. The series itself would later add the possibility that the mysterious Mr. Roarke was an immortal being who seemingly was trying to help people with his Fantasy Island.

While those themes were present in the original series ABC then never really said for sure that Roarke was immortal or an angel. So for the next decade the show seemingly was dormant until ABC decided to revive the series. Sadly by the mid 1990's Ricardo Montalbán was paralyzed and was becoming more of a voice actor. The years of working with a bad back and a back surgery would leave him in a wheelchair. The sweet Villechaize was also gone as he had sadly taken his own life in 1993 after years of painful health issues.

So ABC had to reboot the series completely and approached Barry Sonnenfeld who helped shape the new 90's version of Fantasy Island.

Unlike the small hints that the original series Mr. Roarke , the new one played by Malcolm McDowell seemingly was either an angel or demon who had his crew working off their debts of some kind on the island. There was no new Tattoo as the remake made Roarke have a team of assistants on the island instead. Also Roarke seemingly had powers tied to the Island as well. His adopted daughter herself had powers tied to the island.

More fantasy elements included seemed to hint Ariel (one of Roarke's assistants played by Mädchen Amick) was a genie who had claimed to have dated men like the sands of time. Also that she hated bottles. Cal (played by Louis Lombardi) was a chef , bartender , pilot etc of the series as an assistant and was allowed to restart his life over at age 10. Harry (Edward Hibbert) was rescued from a burning motel by Roarke. And finally we had 2 travel agents Fisher (the late Fyvush Finkel who passed away in 2016) and Cila (Sylvia Sidney in her last role).

Unlike the last series where there was never a big plot beyond the guest stars who would appear on Fantasy Island ; this series had an over arching plot line beyond the guest stars. To keep viewers guessing about this new mysterious Mr. Roarke and his assistants.

ABC had high hopes for this new more darker fantasy series of Fantasy Island and placed it to kick off the 1998 fall season. But within a few weeks ratings was pretty bad and ABC pulled the series. The rest of the 13 episodes would later air on UPN and Sci-Fi Channel. And ABC would never try another Fantasy Island series after this one failed.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Incredible Member

caprica - honestly , the series could have easily done without the battlestar galactica name and the interesting premises of a rogue ai in a virtue world should be explored more.

Extraordinary Member

It's possible I've posted this before on here, but does anyone remember a hilarious show called The Powers That Be? It was created by Norman Lear about a bumbling Senator, his obnoxious wife, and their deranged family. The show ran for 2 seasons from 1992 to 1993.

It starred John Forsythe, Holland Taylor, David Hyde Pierce, Valerie Mahaffey, Peter MacNicol, and Joseph Gordon Levitt

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It's possible I've posted this before on here
    I actually mentioned it (7-30-17) before you did (9-22-19). But I've learned the hard way no one responds to me around here, unless I'm agreeing with someone they disagree with. Weirdest thing but what can ya do.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I actually mentioned it (7-30-17) before you did (9-22-19).
    Ah, I love it when my senility shows. LOL. Glad you liked this show too. It was so funny and well-written with quirky characters and an amazing cast. Must've had a bad time slot because anyone who watched it would more than likely come back to see it again the following week. Thanks for letting me know.

Of course, had it stayed on, we would've never gotten Hyde Pierce as Niles on Frasier. That would've been a great loss for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Ah, I love it when my senility shows. LOL. Glad you liked this show too. It was so funny and well-written with quirky characters and an amazing cast. Must've had a bad time slot because anyone who watched it would more than likely come back to see it again the following week. Thanks for letting me know.

Of course, had it stayed on, we would've never gotten Hyde Pierce as Niles on Frasier. That would've been a great loss for sure.
    Actually because of this show, even though we never saw Maris on Frasier, in my mind she looked exactly like his wife from The Powers That Be.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Actually because of this show, even though we never saw Maris on Frasier, in my mind she looked exactly like his wife from The Powers That Be.
    Agree. I kept telling my friends that Valerie Mahaffey would make the perfect Maris Crane. She even guest-starred as another character late in the series. But she would've been perfect.

Its been a few months since I got to do a Cancelled Shows post. So this one is fresh off news that after a near decade away Beavis & Butthead is coming to Comedy Central. The show will get a 2 season order for us fans and likely be paired next to South Park for a nice animated hour. But as posted before here some animated shows don't work out and they disappear to never been seen again.

Back in the early 2000's the former National Network that became Spike TV had scored a major coup. They had picked up the WWE TV programming and watched as it became its signature programming. With Monday Night RAW the executives finally had that top cable show to lure people to their network but the rest of the week was a barren wasteland more or less. Repeats of shows like Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas aired and the Spike executives knew they had to strike on the WWE audience as they could with edgy programming.

This is how Stripperella was born.

This adult geared cartoon was one created by Stan Lee about a superhero who works as a stripper for her job. Hence the title and to really push people towards the series Spike cast Pamela Anderson for the lead voice role. Its no shock the lead character is modeled after Anderson and her draw as a sex symbol was to lure adults to the show on Thursday nights. I mean this was Pamela Anderson more or less then for us guys...

I did not want to post anything too bad due to CBR sensors for sure. But you get the point that Anderson was the main hook of the show with Stan Lee creating this animated world more or less. The rest of the vocal cast was pros as well as Mark Hamill and Joey Lauren Adams too. Plus to tie into the lure of the WWE on the network the strip club was owned by Dirk McMahon and you guessed it...Vince McMahon did the voice for that character.

With Pamela Anderson supplying the inspiration and look of the character and the voice , plus Stan Lee behind it creatively with solid voice talent this should have worked...right ? It should have ran a few years ?

No , it didn't. Because beyond the WWE programming Spike TV had terrible executives who had no clue how to handle a network at times when it came to original programming they had . Stripperella would debut in June 2003 and suddenly the 2 part episode origin , well the 2nd part didn't air until October of that year. The show would air in June and July as a 1st part , have that 1 episode air out of order in October and suddenly return in Feb-March of 2004 to finish out.

The show also comically had the animation change some things halfway through the season for **** knows what reason really. No one can really explain that idea and one character suddenly had a darker complexion and developed an accent that changed each episode. But the end result is this from wiki which had Stan Lee cite creative differences and walk away from the series. Spike TV soon cancelled it in 2004 ending the experimented animated block they attempted with Ren & Stimpy.

There has been a DVD release of the series 13 episodes. At least there was that for fans of the series who wished there was a season 2.