Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Players. Aired on NBC circa 1997-98 season. Produced by Dick Wolf. Starred Ice-T, Costas Mandylor and the beautiful Mia Korf. The premise involved a team of ex-cons (their violations were non-violent) recruited by the federal government to take down bigger (e.g., violent/murderous/drug cartel) crooks. Hopefully this gets put on Hulu at some point.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In the 1980's Tony Danza was one of the best sitcom dads that existed. As Tony Micelli , the tough guy former boxer and widow raised a single daughter. He then moved into a house in the burbs where he would become a male housekeeper. The show was a hit with families and redefined that a tough man can actually cook and clean. After that 8 season run , Danza seemed to wait awhile for what his next sitcom role would be.

Lori Loughlin meanwhile came to fame on the same type family show on ABC. This one was Full House where she'd marry everyone's favorite Uncle (Jessie) and have a family. In all the show itself became a big hit and was still high in the ratings when ABC cancelled it in 1995. So she too was looking for her next sitcom role.

It seemed like a match made in TV Series heaven. That ABC had hit a gold mine on their hands. You had Tony Danza fresh off 2 straight successful sitcoms (Taxi , Who's the Boss) and considered a lovable father figure and Loughlin fresh off (Full House) where she was a very beautiful woman and mother figure. Pairing these two up in a nice comedy where they'd fall for each other was considered a home run. To make it even easier Danza's character was again a single father (he was divorced in this one) named Tony Canetti.

Unlike Micelli , Canetti was a New York cop and worked that hard job. Also unlike his prior role , Canetti had a young son he was trying to be a good dad for. Loughlin played the female reporter named Melanie Clifford in this. Who as you can see , grows close to Danza's character. Here was the TV Intro...

So what happened ?

Well when the show launched it had a damn good time period as ABC had huge hopes for it. The show was scheduled between Roseanne and Home Improvement. Its clear that Hudson Street was being groomed to take Roseanne's time slot the next year as that show was showing its age (it would end after the next season). And when it launched Hudson Street was doing very damn good. It made ABC happy as they felt they had found the show that would soon continue its Tuesday dominance.

Then a weird thing happened. ABC to get Dana Carvey had earlier that year made a unique trade of sorts. See , NBC was making Carvey's show "The Dana Carvey Show" but things with Carvey had hit a wall due to content he wanted to do on the show. ABC meanwhile really wanted something different (and the show was a DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT show for Tuesdays) and wanted Carvey's show. So they made a unique trade off as they let a little show called..."3rd Rock from the Sun" be sent to NBC.

3rd Rock was a show about a family of aliens. These guys....

ABC felt the show would never work since ...well it was about a family of aliens who come to our planet to learn about us. They felt the more wacky variety show aspect of Carvey would work for them. But boy would they regret this awful trade they had made. Not only did Carvey's show (as great as it was) fail on ABC , they had no clue how to market it. Had this been a decade later , Carvey's show would be on Comedy Central and have ran longer. But this was network TV and it didn't last.

But the very show that ABC had basically handed NBC , was placed on at 8:30 and audiences saw it....and just fell in love with it. The show became the BREAKOUT hit of the mid-season for NBC. They quickly owned the 8:30 time slot and soon 3rd Rock was out drawing its lead-in (Wings). Now for NBC they were stunned at just how successful 3rd Rock became and would later hurt themselves as seasons would go. But for now they were owning Tuesdays. Anyhow over at ABC , 3rd Rock's success at the mid-season quickly destroyed Hudson Street. ABC had no real answer against the aliens of 3rd Rock and poor Danza's 3rd sitcom would end after 1 season.

And this is after a promising start of the year where it seemed destined that Hudson Street would get renewed for a 2nd season and become a hit. All it took was a unique trade off and NBC killed ABC on Tuesdays. Weird how TV things can happen huh ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Millennium and Angel hit me the hardest. I liked Millennium more than any other show, but I wasn't as mad about its cancellation as I was about Angel's.

Angel was supposed to have a season 6, but didn't because Joss Whedon requested an early renewal. It was definitely going to happen but I guess Whedon got a little impatient. Such a shame.

Millennium at least a good reason for being cancelled...low ratings. Still really sad though. I love that Lance Henriksen still wants to do a movie even in his 70's.

And as a Millennium fan, that so-called "finale" in the X-Files was such a letdown!

Alphas-Thanks a lot SyFy, you get an original show that keeps me coming back and you end it.
    Almost Human-When will people learn to stop pitching shows to Fox.
    Tomorrow People

Those are just off the top of my head and I intentionally didn't mention any action show of CN because they have already been listed.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Sym-Bionic Titan and Motorcity were two animated shows I remember enjoying greatly that got cancelled. Both ended after their first seasons, consisting of 20 episodes each.
    I loved Sym-bionic Titan to death and I considered it a huge injustice that CN canceled despite good ratings. I also enjoyed Motorcity. I also miss Green Lantern since the show was really going places which was also another epic fail by CN. I almost want to say the same for Beware the Batman, but I personally blame WB for trying to force less likeable villains down our throats instead of the classic villains.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Even to this day I am a huge Miami Vice fan. Towards the end of the series run they had an episode that used some younger cops and this guy, played by the cat who owned Christine in the Stephen King movie, who used some psychotropic bs to get some kids to do whatever it was. They were trying to hitch their wagons to another hit as the 80's were winding down. I'm glad that particular idea didn't fly but the producers did have another show that only lasted 1 season.

I remember the weekend my mom finally caved in and bought our first VCR in 1989 because the first things we taped we're the Oakland world series when the earthquake hit. Somewhere on deteriorating VHS tape I still have the NBC promo of 'Nasty Boy's'. A show about Las Vegas DEA agents and drug runners, they leaned hard on the Janet Jackson single at the time and at the time it was about as violent as anything network TV had up until then. I've only seen a single episode and when I get around to it I'm going to get it on DVD if it's available. Good lookin' out Supe for the thread. Some of these old show's from the 80's I haven't thought about in years.

Nighthawk, Manamal, Misfits of Science were all good pulls from earlier posts. Didn't they make a Blue Thunder tv show that lasted a cup of coffee. Anyway, thank you interwebz, here is the Nasty Boy's promo.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

In the 1970's , the early 1970's McLean Stevenson was part of one of the best TV sitcoms in history. As part of the ensemble cast of TV's M.A.S.H , Stevenson was Colonel Henry Blake. His character was so beloved by fans they felt Blake was the type of uncle character in charge of the wacky people in a mobile hospital unit in the war. This show was destined to run 11 seasons (it could have ran longer , but the cast members chose to end it) and win Emmy awards for writing and its cast. Sadly for McLean Stevenson he decided he didn't want this.

Stevenson had started to grow frustrated for several reasons during his 3 year M.A.S.H run. One of them was how 20th Century ran the show behind the scenes in a cheap way. A fact years later Alda himself joked that Fox wouldn't even put phone service for years on the mountain where they filmed as well as them trying to take peanut butter away from the cast during filming. (The cast had a strike and got the peanut butter back)

Another big reason as Stevenson quit was where he told Loretta Swift that he knew he'd never get a show as good as this one. Yet he wanted to be the #1 guy on a series and for M.A.S.H ....that was Alan Alda. Hawkeye Pierce was the main character of that series by the time the show entered its 3rd season. This same reason is why Wayne Rogers would quit as well after the 3rd season. Of course Wayne Rogers admitted years later he made more money in the stock market so he decided to quit for that.

So after he quit in 1975 , Stevenson himself was under a spot where he had to wait a year for his M.A.S.H contract to run out. So by the time his shot at his 1st show would come , Stevenson would have to wait til December 1976. That is a very long time for a key actor in a series to return for a new series. His show would be called "The McLean Stevenson Show" to try and cash in some on his fame from M.A.S.H leaving. NBC would air this show on Wednesdays.

The show basically about an older father named Mac Ferguson who ran a hardware shop and a simple sitcom life with his grown children , wife and mother-in-law. The show wasn't very good as this episode shows us and sadly for Stevenson , his 1st starring vehicle was cancelled within 10 episodes.

For Stevenson this was the start of a lot of failed shows he would do and he'd never achieve the same success as M.A.S.H. Years later he admitted he was wrong to leave the show.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Tru Calling. It was getting good. Jason Priestly was great as the villain

Trends in TV are a countless thing that will flow whenever a TV show becomes a huge hit. Like for instance....Walking Dead. TV executives have noticed that the show in its 6th season is still doing dynamite numbers , its just they haven't had success developing shows to copy it. Fox tried developing Zombieland and then later decided against it and it aired as a pilot on Amazon. Over at SyFy they came up with a silly comedy called Z-Nation. CW has a hit on its hand by adapting DC's "I , Zombie" and putting it as more of a police procedural show. But if more networks could and were able to , you would see a zombie themed show on every network.

This isn't the 1st time networks followed a trend. In the 1980's , they followed the trend that Bill Cosby set with the Cosby Show as a number of "family sitcoms" were launched. Then in the 1990's that changed to a number of Friends clones and Seinfeld . This post will examine a Seinfeld clone that came about as ABC wanted to jump onto that weird dynamic that Seinfeld had.

Jennifer Grey was a very young identifiable actress due to roles in two movies she will never , ever be able to escape from. In the late 1980's Grey starred in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Dirty Dancing. Both films pretty much made Grey a noticed star then. But in the 1990's Grey did something she soon regretted and it cost her a lot. She decided to have a nose job done. Two of them to fix a problem in her nose and the result was ....Gray didn't look at all like her self.

This caused her career in the 1990's to take a massive shot and she went through a dry spell in some films awhile. So by 1999 , Grey needed something and a TV series was proposed. In this one the idea basically was ...Seinfeld in LA , yet with Jennifer Grey and some changes. No...that was basically this premise as this pilot will show you.

Anyhow the series would actually feature Jennifer Grey playing a faded star version of herself. Another actress had turned it down so Grey jumped at the chance to do this series. It also showed her being willing to poke fun at her nose job she had , had work done on.

Of course what gave this show that Seinfeld flavor was producer/writer Peter Mehlman actually was the creator of this series. Mehlman had been on Seinfeld for a number of years as story editor , writer , producer ... Also the fact they had director Andy Ackerman behind the camera. He had directed 87 episodes of Seinfeld so this show had that pedigree behind it.

While the show lasted 2 seasons (1999-2000) the show really ran 26 episodes and its like one season in a sense. The show was a midseason replacement and aired 8 episodes , then came back and aired 12 more episodes that fall. The final 6 episodes didn't air til a year later I believe overseas. But yeah the show basically seems to be a 1 year deal.

So what killed "Its Like , You Know" ? Well here is several reasons.

- Terrible 1st episodes : A number of people on youtube and online have said the 1st few episodes was very terrible for this show. One claimed the show was seemingly trying way to damn hard to be funny and unique as Seinfeld was. The very 1st scene we get is a very "Jerry & George" scene as we saw. So it had to be a turn off for viewers who had seen this very scene countless times from a great sitcom that ran 1989-1998.

- ABC itself : The network by 1999 was teetering on the edge basically and would fall off after 2000. The show was bumped around the schedule to ABC's sudden hit "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". That show was a smash hit and one that the network would soon over-expose by airing almost every day on network TV. Shows like "Its Like , You Know" which was already struggling wasn't helped by this and soon would be killed off by it. ABC would total their network in 2001 and it would take a number of years to regain itself.

Jennifer Grey can currently be seen in the comedy series "Red Oaks". It airs on Amazon Video . A couple of the actors and actresses have had some unique careers. In fact ...one of them ; A. J. Langer (Lauren Woods) would go onto marrying Lord Charles Courtenay . The 18th Earl of Devon in 2004. She herself has now the title of the "Countess of Devon".

Evan Handler (Shrug) would become more known for his TV role on Californication playing Hank Moody's agent friend Charlie Runkle from 2007-2014.

BANNED

if you make it past 3-4 seasons, youre getting syndicated so you really shouldn't be pined for

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Copper

Deadwood

If only for the fact they ended on cliffhangers.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Ally McBeal was quite good before Robert Downey Jr done gone went passed pout on drugs...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    if you make it past 3-4 seasons, youre getting syndicated so you really shouldn't be pined for
    Agreed, I don't usually mourn for shows if they had 3 or 4 good seasons. The only reason I get bummed about Millennium is because its third and final season was its weakest...

I just finished Helix, and even though it's largely regarded as one of SyFy's worst shows, I personally really enjoyed it and would have liked to see at least one more season. Billy Campbell is a fantastic actor.

Ultimate Member

Titus: Fox, it loves screwing up.

Vengeance Unlimited: An early per-cusor to Burn Notice, and excellent writing.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    Copper

Deadwood

If only for the fact they ended on cliffhangers.
    Copper was so good!