View Poll Results: Would Psylocke still have been popular without the Asian body switch and Jim Lee costume change?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 22.58%
  • No

72 77.42%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    On point. It's about crazy marketing, awareness spreading and easy accessibility.
    I was shocked to find out that maple syrup was cheaper to buy in southern Nevada than it was in upstate NY (and by upstate I mean an hour's drive away from Montreal - not faux-upstate like Poughkeepsie) . Of course, before I moved it was nearly impossible to find maple syrup that wasn't from Vermont, despite living in an area with distilleries and just south of a place that has the leaf on the flag - Vermont's branding is just that good. In Nevada (or at least my corner of it), most of the maple available comes from not-Vermont, and as a result is actually cheaper.
    Dark does not mean deep.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    I didn't know being able to sing on key and coming up with creative stories cost more money.
    Anybody can conceive wonderful stories regardless of her/his circumstance, but --too bad!, then it's the issue of publication and, above all, distribution. Just have a talk with any owner of a small bookstore and she/he will tell you about it chapter and verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That's the power of advertising and branding
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It's about crazy marketing, awareness spreading and easy accessibility.
    This. And this.

I can notarize about it because I'm not living in USA and I'm seeing it everyday.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 10-11-2015 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Who do you think might have possibly played the role of Betsy's love interest?

A revived Doug, probably?
    Ehhh, I'd rather not. There always seemed to be an iffy age gap between the two, not helped by Doug never really aging past his teens in all his published history.

She might still have been with that boring schlub Angel, but I'd like to think there are better options...given pre-swap Betsy's desire to push herself as a fighter, maybe someone like Bishop?
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

It totally depends how she would have been written of course.

I did like the armored version of Betsy during the Outback period a lot.

Also loved the could have been version of Psylocke as Revanche.

So, yeah, I believe she could have been as popular (or maybe even more) if she didn't became an Asian chick.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    Who do you think might have possibly played the role of Betsy's love interest?
    Nightcrawler.

I wonder which one does he prefer...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Nightcrawler.

I wonder which one does he prefer...
    First: WHERE DOES THIS SCAN COME FROM??

Second: Given that most would immediately assume Asian!Betsy as the default without asking, I figure anyone who does ask secretly prefers Britlocke.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Betsy was popular in the 90s due to her Ninja skill and and Jim Lee costume. I don't think her (half) Asian look boosted her popularity. It's part of her (complicated) history but IMO doesn't add more popularity than the Ninja skill and costume. Her different usage of of telepathy-psychic knife helped her popularity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    First: WHERE DOES THIS SCAN COME FROM??

Second: Given that most would immediately assume Asian!Betsy as the default without asking, I figure anyone who does ask secretly prefers Britlocke.
    First: "This American Life", a chapter from "Nation-X" #1 (2009) by FABULOUS Mike Allred .

Second: You caught me . I consider Kurt to be a smart person.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Think this is a silly question. Yes, of course the body switch and the costume redesign lent to greater popularity in the 90s. She became a female ninja, that went into battle wearing what most would consider a one piece bathing suit that more often than not turned into a semi-thong and was drawn with larger than average (sometimes much larger... well most of the time) breasts. The character model did well to increase her popularity in the 90s and made her a fan favorite to ogle (boys and young men, in the 90s that demographic is all that really existed in terms of raw numbers. Comics still hada stigma of being "geeky" and there were far less female readers to take into account), draw and buy posters and comic cards of. We're not talking about the feminist/ good taste part of this argument. That wasn't the question. But could it have done the same covered up like she is now? I doubt it. Polaris has typically always been covered up (sans her intro, but that was as a villain) and she remains a cult favorite rather than a pin-up, fan favorite. Psylocke's sex appeal and character model was one of the few that lasted beyond that decade for a reason. Take her more modest appearance and put her as featured character in the animated series... she'd be as popular as Storm or Rogue, but that wasnt the case. The appearance as we knew it definitely helped with her appeal. It kept her on covers and splash pages for a solid 10 years and even had transcended the decade in print and in the upcoming feature film slated for next year (2016!).
    Last edited by donpricetag; 10-11-2015 at 07:14 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Incredible Member

no, and I'll give a concrete example.

X-Men: Children of the Atom.

Psylocke made the cut, as did Storm, but Jean Grey and Rogue didn't.

Hell, it was my first experience with the character.

Plus adding physical capabilities, you can now do more with the character.

Plus it sets up multiple options in her rogues gallery that can be exploited for future stories (The Hand for body stealing one of their members, Spiral for doing the bodyswap).

Without it, she's a Jean Grey Expy that is british.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I think it did make her more popular. She went from someone that was wearing body armor to protect herself after taking a serious beating to wearing no armor and adopting a aggresive and visually stunning fighting style.You have to admit that The Kwannon appearance really catches the eye along with the Psyblade. I wonder how she would have turned out if they went the female James Bond route?

I'd have to say yes. All things ninja were big in the 90s and no doubt this was part of the reason for the switch.

I'd like to see Psylocke take another change to stay relevant. With all the issues in Europe she should have another body swap into perhaps a male Syrian refugee.

Technically, they could have aged up Doug in his "revival"/return story.

As has been shown repeatedly, the writers/editorial can do whatever they want with a character after they've been "dead" or off-panel for a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    It totally depends how she would have been written of course.

I did like the armored version of Betsy during the Outback period a lot.

Also loved the could have been version of Psylocke as Revanche.

So, yeah, I believe she could have been as popular (or maybe even more) if she didn't became an Asian chick.
    In the 90's?

Just curious, could someone point out any similar characters that managed to do so?

I guess one could say 90's Storm, but Storm was already super-popular prior to then. Same goes for 90's Jean, to an extent.

Earth's Mightiest Hero RafDanvers's Avatar

I started to LOVE Psylocke in the 90's when she just had her body switch. I cant even imagine her not being like that. I think she got more confident, badass and started to use her TPin a very distinct way, with the psychic knife and katanas. She became such an icon of the X-Men. It proves everything. Cant wait to see the movie next year!
    My heroines: Captain Marvel Psylocke

my pull list: The Mighty Captain Marvel - Ultimates 2 - Uncanny X-Men *I run @captmarvelnews and @psylockenews on Twitter! Join us!

BANNED

As an Asian myself, while I always loved her appearance and even attitude, I always hated the fact that she was a "Twinky", yellow outside, white inside, it's insulting and offensive, it's like saying that a true Oriental female character, even fanservice, isn't good enough for the books, she has to be really Occidental. Personally, I wish that she would die and Betsy Braddock's spirit would depart her body and it would be revived with a Life Seed like with Archangel, so she would be a brand-new soul in what was Kwannon's body originally. I mean, apart from her use of upper-class British terms, she doesn't sound particularly British (though I would imagine hearing a real-life Psylocke would be as shocking as listening to the obviously Oriental Cho Chang from Harry Potter speak with a super Scottish accent in the movies), and as has been pointed out, you wouldn't know that she is supposed to be originally English unless you knew her backstory, which already eliminates most people except her die-hard fanboys...

BTW Ultimate Psylocke , post-resurrection (not bodyswitch) in the body of a brain-dead Japanese teenager Kwannon after being killed by Colossus in order to destroy Ultimate Proteus (no fatal allergy to metal in this reality but can be killed in a human body) , was married to Ultimate Bishop (who was a present-day American con and gangster before reforming and becoming leader of the Xmen). They were both killed anyway when Ultimate Magneto flooded New York City.
    Last edited by Jdsm24; 10-11-2015 at 11:24 PM.