Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bholderman View Post
    Hey all, Im new to this version of Earth-2, I have this current series starting with #1, but Im still lost. What comics do I need to read to understand this Earth-2
    This series is directly spun-off from both Earth-2: World's End and Convergence, so those would be your go-to stories for getting up to speed with this series. Admittedly, Earth-2: World's End isn't a good comic either, and story-wise it's a bigger mess than Earth-2: Society.

To get the individual histories of the characters themselves, you'll need to read the previous Earth-2 series as well as World's Finest to get Huntress and Power Girl's back stories.
    Last edited by ThomasBlake; 10-10-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasBlake View Post
    Indeed I do. I also get that this character is supposed to be based off of the original Earth-2 Grayson, who was a better person (and frankly a better developed character) than the caricature depicted in these pages. "New version" doesn't mean it's okay to start writing established characters completely out of character to get a pseudo Bruce Wayne pastiche, and writing characters with consistency doesn't mean stagnation. Any writer who has to do that for his story to work isn't a very skilled writer in my opinion.
    Next you'll tell me that Owlman (of Earth-3) should be a good guy. Or President Superman (of Earth-23) should be white. It's the multiverse man. We get different versions of fan-favorite characters for a reason. It's called options. You may like the mainstream Dick more than this one. Awesome. I love them both. As for character development, it's an ongoing story that takes place one year after Convergence. Wilson is writing a 'present day' narrative while filling in the blanks with flashbacks to establish why most of the Earth-2 heroes are suddenly in new situations or exhibiting new character traits.
    I'm convinced that most people, who hate on a comic, never read said comic.

Fantastic Member

Small problem, this may not be Earth Prime Dick, but it is based off of Earth-Two Dick. And I dont recall a Dick in the multiverse that acts like this. This isn't some random lets try something new, that is Earth 1. This is Earth 2. This is a world with history and the Justice Society.

Dick is acting pretty close to how Thomas Wayne would act which makes their switch very strange. I mean, replace Dick with Thomas and all pages with Batman will actually make more sense and fix many issues like why Helena is okay with someone wearing her father's costume.

BANNED

Personality wise sure... action wise....no because I really dont see Thomas carrying one bit that someone killed Sloan more then in the sense darn they beat me to it.

BANNED

Heh it's the Bat from TDKR.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Personality wise sure... action wise....no because I really dont see Thomas carrying one bit that someone killed Sloan more then in the sense darn they beat me to it.
    Well just replace some inner thoughts on whole subject into "I hated the guy, but I still need to find out who killed him", its not a big stretch honestly.

Spectacular Member

This series is directly spun-off from both Earth-2: World's End and Convergence, so those would be your go-to stories for getting up to speed with this series. Admittedly, Earth-2: World's End isn't a good comic either, and story-wise it's a bigger mess than Earth-2: Society.

To get the individual histories of the characters themselves, you'll need to read the previous Earth-2 series as well as World's Finest to get Huntress and Power Girl's back stories.
    Gotcha, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. k0 View Post
    Next you'll tell me that Owlman (of Earth-3) should be a good guy. Or President Superman (of Earth-23) should be white. It's the multiverse man. We get different versions of fan-favorite characters for a reason. It's called options. You may like the mainstream Dick more than this one. Awesome. I love them both. As for character development, it's an ongoing story that takes place one year after Convergence. Wilson is writing a 'present day' narrative while filling in the blanks with flashbacks to establish why most of the Earth-2 heroes are suddenly in new situations or exhibiting new character traits.
    Now you're contradicting yourself.

Also, I think you missed the part where I said the new Earth-2 Dick is supposed to be based off of his original (pre-Crisis) Earth-2 counterpart. The original Earth-2 Dick did have an established history and established character traits that even served as the basis for his eventual mainstream Earth-1/Earth-0 counterpart. It's also worth noting that unlike the editors for Earth-2, the Justice League editors didn't miss the point of Earth-3 being the inverse universe, which is exactly what this world was pre-Crisis. Your point about Owlman is therefore moot. Unlike Earth-3, Earth-2 was radically changed by incompetent editors from being DC's Golden Age Justice Society Earth to DC's answer to Ultimate Marvel. They missed the point of Earth-2 and turned it into a generic elseworlds that bears no semblance to the original universe it's supposed to be based off of.

DC isn't obliged to make this new earth 2 Dick like past Dick Graysons. Just looking at Terry Sloan and Wes Dodds shows that isn't a hard and fast rule. However, it is fair to expect this Dick Grayson to be similar to the character shown in the previous Earth 2 and Convergence series. This Dick has gone from a caring, worrisome father to a one dimensional badass.

Now you're contradicting yourself.

Also, I think you missed the part where I said the new Earth-2 Dick is supposed to be based off of his original (pre-Crisis) Earth-2 counterpart. The original Earth-2 Dick did have an established history and established character traits that even served as the basis for his eventual mainstream Earth-1/Earth-0 counterpart. It's also worth noting that unlike the editors for Earth-2, the Justice League editors didn't miss the point of Earth-3 being the inverse universe, which is exactly what this world was pre-Crisis. Your point about Owlman is therefore moot. Unlike Earth-3, Earth-2 was radically changed by incompetent editors from being DC's Golden Age Justice Society Earth to DC's answer to Ultimate Marvel. They missed the point of Earth-2 and turned it into a generic elseworlds that bears no semblance to the original universe it's supposed to be based off of.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 10-11-2015 at 11:57 AM.

My main issue with this version of Dick Grayson is that the writer conceived him as an everyman who is supposed to provide a normal person's perspective. Instead, he's essentially Geoff Johns's Batman in Justice League Origins. I'm surprised that he hasn't started up a petty sitcom rivalry with a Hal Jordan ersatz yet.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    My main issue with this version of Dick Grayson is that the writer conceived him as an everyman who is supposed to provide a normal person's perspective. Instead, he's essentially Geoff Johns's Batman in Justice League Origins. I'm surprised that he hasn't started up a petty sitcom rivalry with a Hal Jordan ersatz yet.
    I don't really get why they killed off Thomas if they were just going to replace him with a bad version of Dick doing a bad impression. I kinda think they did it solely to try and lure fans of Dick as Batman into reading the book even though he acts nothing like Dick.

Poor poor porr JSA it'S keep getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I don't really get why they killed off Thomas if they were just going to replace him with a bad version of Dick doing a bad impression. I kinda think they did it solely to try and lure fans of Dick as Batman into reading the book even though he acts nothing like Dick.
    Well, it is edited by Eddie Berganza. Most of the books under his editorial went through gimmicky changes post-Convergence, so I'm guessing that "new mystery Batman!" was one of the gimmicks used to sell the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Well, it is edited by Eddie Berganza. Most of the books under his editorial went through gimmicky changes post-Convergence, so I'm guessing that "new mystery Batman!" was one of the gimmicks used to sell the book.
    Last edited by Tayswift; 10-11-2015 at 02:59 PM.