Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Dark Knight Universe Presents: The Atom #1

The epic ending you never saw coming is here because you demanded it! The Dark Knight rises again to face the dawn of the master race!

Full preview here.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

why is there a dinosaur? Does this story involve time travel?

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    And where is Atom's tentpole?
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

The images don't seem to be working for me but it could be something similar to the Atom intro bit in Strikes Again.

Also have to say the art looks way better than those covers we've seen. I take it Klaus is cleaning up whatever Frank is giving him lol.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

There were dinosaurs in DKSA. There are dinosaurs in the modern day DCU.

Dinosaurs are awesome and belong in many, many comics.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Dinosaurs are awesome and belong in many, many comics.
    I dare anyone to disagree with that.

Also, Miller's stuff looks much, much better when Janson is inking. Almost classic even.

Makes me wish he had worked on DKSA, and Lynn Varley had painted it traditionally instead of buying her first copy of Photoshop
    a few weeks before her deadline.

Assuming they're actually dinosaurs, there's a fucking minotaur in the main book. I don't know why dinosaurs would be some huge stretch.

Incredible Member

*spits out Mountain Dew Voltage* Batman created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger??? Ron Paul, is it happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Nowhere View Post
    Also, Miller's stuff looks much, much better when Janson is inking. Almost classic even.

Makes me wish he had worked on DKSA, and Lynn Varley had painted it traditionally instead of buying her first copy of Photoshop
    a few weeks before her deadline.
    See, I couldn't disagree more. I love DKII for Miller's ink work, and now that he seems interested in screwing Varley out of royalties by releasing everything in black and white, I'm reminded how much I always wanted a black and white version of DKII.

Janson's great, but this is too clean and the colors are boring. The Dark Knight books have always been pretty revolutionary, art wise, and this all seems to be falling short of that.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Can't wait!

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    See, I couldn't disagree more. I love DKII for Miller's ink work, and now that he seems interested in screwing Varley out of royalties by releasing everything in black and white, I'm reminded how much I always wanted a black and white version of DKII.

Janson's great, but this is too clean and the colors are boring. The Dark Knight books have always been pretty revolutionary, art wise, and this all seems to be falling short of that.
    I like Miller's inking style, Sin City looks great. But Janson tends to smooth over some of Miller's lazier drawing habits which are more and more apparent these days.
    I agree that the coloring in these samples looks like generic DC house style. Hopefully they'll push it a little bit more in the main Kubert book.

And I'd totally buy a DK2 Noir.

I love Janson, so it's not slight to him, I mean, his inking IS TDK. I just think this looks pretty bland compared to recent Miller inks. Holy Terror is some of the boldest art Miller's ever done, and that's saying something. It's hard to go from DKII and that, to this. I want that ink slung all over the place.

But maybe this is done this way for a reason. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Can't wait!
    I concur. 10 characters

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

I love Miller. I love Janson. I was excited about them re-teaming. they've both grown so much as artists since they last worked together. I was not prepared for how shocking pedestrian the results would be, at least on the preview pages.This stuff is very much a continuation of their Daredevil 'style" and should appease the fans who want Miller to be more conventional

Quote Originally Posted by prismablue View Post
    pedestrian
    That one word perfectly describes these pages.