Super Moderator

Default Warner Bros. Animation Producer Says "Killing Joke" Adaptation "Could Be" Rated R

When discussing "The Killing Joke" adaptation, producer James Tucker said they had permission to make it rated R, but added, "We'll see."

Full article here.

BANNED

I suspect it will be like Return of the Joker, with cut and uncut versions.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Wasn't that because Return of Joker was aired on TV. This will be straight to BD, I doubt they'd be a cut version.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I'll watch anyway. It's Conroy and Hamil doing Killing Joke!
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Wasn't that because Return of Joker was aired on TV. This will be straight to BD, I doubt they'd be a cut version.
    I don't believe it ever aired on TV. While it was set in the world of Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond, unlike World's Finest (with Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS characters) it wasn't an actual episode of either series. This is why World's Finest is included with Superman season 2 DVDs but neither of the two versions of Return of the Joker are included in any sets devoted to the shows. You can only get them as straight to video singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Return of the joker was direct to video. If it aired on tv it was after the fact

Greatness Never Rests arrownoir's Avatar

DC's too cowardly to make it rated R.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by arrownoir View Post
    DC's too cowardly to make it rated R.
    Did you not read the article? Tucker confirmed DC gave them the okay to make it Rated R. Whether it will end up actually being so remains to be seen, but DC clearly isn't too cowardly to do so.

Greatness Never Rests arrownoir's Avatar

Yes, they are. They'll never it him make it R. They just said that to make him feel good.
    If he shows that he wants to make a rated R movie, they'll make him water it down.

BANNED

Are they going further than the comic? Because I've seen PG-13 cartoons with worse stuff than The Killing Joke has.

I just wonder how it's going to look. Is it going to be like the original, or will they go with the boring recolored look?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by arrownoir View Post
    Yes, they are. They'll never it him make it R. They just said that to make him feel good.
    If he shows that he wants to make a rated R movie, they'll make him water it down.
    Looking at the past few DC animated movies, they're much darker than any other animated movies produced ever. They also made Watchmen R rated, so I think they're not like what you say they are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Looking at the past few DC animated movies, they're much darker than any other animated movies produced ever. They also made Watchmen R rated, so I think they're not like what you say they are.
    You mean any of their stuff they've produced? Because they're not darker than "any other animated movies produced ever", they aren't even dark, they're just not G.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    As I recall (and confirmed with Wiki) the Return of the Joker situation was a bit more messy as it came out at a time when everyone was blaming violence in the media for school massacres like Columbine so WB pressured them to cut it, the uncut version wasn't released until 3 years later.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman...ker#Re-editing