Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Marvel animation: Where is it?

Aside from the kiddy television department Marvel need's to fix and fix quickly, Marvel has not produced an animated film since 2011's Thor: Tales of asgard.

Which honestly left much to be desired.

A few films they've done:

They were pretty consistent and seemed to be atleast trying to find their voice within the animation realm.
    It's no secret that their efforts aren't as clean & polished as DC but they were trying and it showed with Hulk vs & Planet Hulk that they had potential to make decent films.

It's been almost three years since their last animated movie release and I'm just puzzled as to if they just gave up or..?
    I mean DC has put out plenty in that span of time with no problems.
    I don't see how or why they'd give up, Being with Disney gives them almost unlimited resources to all types of technology to use and it was even spoke upon that they were planning CGI films for Silver Surfer and Ant-man but nothing has been heard of since.
    Money most damn sure isn't the problem, Marvel has the means to put together damn good films.

With plenty of storylines stacked up at Marvel and being able to use ALL of their characters in animation there shouldn't be a problem.
    CGI films is a can-do for Marvel at this point and with their resources they could damn sure put out great animated movies for DVD that'd sell.
    Honestly, I blame Joe Quasada who should be fired honestly, his creative 'ideas' haven't really boosted Marvel's relevancy in that market.

I just..idk guys.
    What do you think?

They've put out a lot of motion comics and a few other animated movies post 2011. Iron Man and Hulk just had one that came out, plus a solo Iron Man and a Black Widow/Punisher flick. I do wish they would do more stuff like Hulk Vs and Planet Hulk, a little bit more mature in tone. The animation for the Hulk vs Wolverine half of that movie was top notch.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    They've put out a lot of motion comics and a few other animated movies post 2011. Iron Man and Hulk just had one that came out, plus a solo Iron Man and a Black Widow/Punisher flick. I do wish they would do more stuff like Hulk Vs and Planet Hulk, a little bit more mature in tone. The animation for the Hulk vs Wolverine half of that movie was top notch.
    I forgot all about Iron man and Hulk lol.
    I just don't see passion put into the animation area like it should be.

Hulk vs & Planet Hulk were very decent films.
    Marvel is capable of producing good things but for every step they take forward they just take two more back at times.
    Last edited by Ethereal Stormultt; 05-01-2014 at 12:31 AM.

It's a shame that Marvel never continued their traditionally animated movies. I liked that they were directly competing with DC's output, and there were plenty of events and arcs that they could've adapted. Imagine Civil War or World War Hulk animated.

Well they just released this earlier this year...

so it hasn't been three years since their last animated movie...three months maybe.

And I think they have the same issue as they do with live action films, The Spidey animation rights, X-Men animation rights etc. are not in house currently iirc, so they can't produce those characters except in episodic television.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 05-01-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    It's a shame that Marvel never continued their traditionally animated movies. I liked that they were directly competing with DC's output, and there were plenty of events and arcs that they could've adapted. Imagine Civil War or World War Hulk animated.
    Shouldn't any Hulk film be rated 18+ just because of the amount of blood and guts flying around?

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Marvel is owned by the most famous and one of the greatest animation studios of all time yet they can never rise above mediocrity. It's legitimately pathetic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

so it hasn't been three years since their last animated movie...three months maybe.

And I think they have the same issue as they do with live action films, The Spidey animation rights, X-Men animation rights etc. are not in house currently iirc, so they can't produce those characters except in episodic television.

-M
    Actually about the rights, Wolverine was used in Hulk vs.
    Even though it's not an entire cast I'm sure they could utilize those characters.

If I'm not mistaken Marvel still owns animation rights to all their characters, just not live action movies. Hence the Hulk Vs. and the somewhat recent Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon. I really don't understand why they keep pushing just the Avengers characters. Okay I take that back, I get it but why not branch out?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I'd love to see some kind of cohesive effort at building an animated universe, and I almost think animated films would be the way to go. Maybe something like the MCU, but more faithful in tone and characterization to the comics? I'm not saying they need a house animation style, but yeah, house style would help.

BANNED

An animated CGI series of shows or a show in this light would awesome:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm--G7ug0vk

Marvel's latest animated movies were more focused on advertising the Avengers films than anything else. If you don't mind that detail, they are still watchable.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    This was alright but still not as good as Hulk vs. and Planet Hulk. The dialogue left alot to be desired though the plot wasn't half bad. I get the sense that Marvel doesn't consider this medium as important as others.

I'm kinda nonplused by the whole thing as well. It's a pretty big market that they're leaving untapped by not creating more animated tv-shows and movies, both for kids and older fans. They're as behind in that department as DC are on the big screen.

Invincible Member

I'm curious as to why the OP doesn't want to count the Marvel kid's shows? I know a lot of fans had problems with Ult Spiderman but many people loved Spectacular Spider Man. Earth's Mightiest Heroes was good. I haven't seen Assemble. There's Super Squad, but I don't think seen one episode all the way through.

Is it the stigma that they're "children's" shows that put some fans off?