Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Virus

BANNED

Default Legacy Virus

Quick question for you guys:

When did the whole business with the Legacy virus start, and what books/issues did it run through? Tried looking it up on marvel.wikia.com but for some reason they're being annoyingly cagey with issue numbers for those stories.

As I recall it starts with X-Cutioner's Song, and then is a plot thread through various books before being resolved at the end of the 90s.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Ahh crap... you said it. They are going to bring it back to help kill the mutants.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

The virus was originally created by Apocalypse 2000 years in the future. In The Adventures Cyclops and Phoenix mini series they discover the virus and learn that it has not been used because it effects all humanity.During The X-Cutioners song storyline X-force #18 shows Sinister having a scientist named Gordan Lefferts opening up a canister that was supposed to have 2000 years worth of Summers Family DNA, as payment for assisting him instead it was the virus.

X-men Vol 1#27 is a story about the virus introducing Threnody featuring Rogue,Beast, and Sinister.
    Uncanny X-men #303 is a must read. Featuring Jubilee and a young Illyana that dies from the virus.
    X-men Vol 1 Annual #2 Is a story introducing Empyrean that focuses on the virus and some infected mutants.It's alot more but those are the ones that come to mind. The virus has several types.
    Try Uncanny Xmen.net they may have a article on it.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

As I remember only a very few mutants died because of it. I only remember Infectia, Mastermind and Pyro dying.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    As I remember only a very few mutants died because of it. I only remember Infectia, Mastermind and Pyro dying.
    Magik,one of the Externals,Moria,I felt for the Mutipal Man who died from it. The genoshan mutates were very striken I recall. From Xforce,XFactor,Xmen each delt with parts of it.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Darth Phoenix; 10-11-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    Magik,one of the Externals,Moria,I felt for the Mutipal Man who died from it. The genoshan mutates were very striken I recall. From Xforce,XFactor,Xmen each delt with parts of it.
    image.jpg
    They used it to tie up Psylocke not giving back the body.

I wonder if now might be a good time for them to return the legacy virus to the mcu so they can talk about sinophobia (obviously with mutants as a metaphor)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I wonder if now might be a good time for them to return the legacy virus to the mcu so they can talk about sinophobia (obviously with mutants as a metaphor)
    I really dont think people want to read about a killer virus being unleashed on the world right now.

Impressive feat of thread necromancy.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Impressive feat of thread necromancy.
    Thanks haha

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I really dont think people want to read about a killer virus being unleashed on the world right now.
    Well, they didn’t back in the day either but originally the legacy virus was a metaphor for the AIDS demographic and by doing that they helped to humanise it and therefore get more help for people with the real life version. Plus the xmen have often tackled tricky topics most people don’t want to touch as anti chinese racism because of covid 19 would be an interesting thing to talk about

decided to reread UXM quarantine arc by Kieron Gillen last night...

Attachment 94741

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Well, they didn’t back in the day either but originally the legacy virus was a metaphor for the AIDS demographic and by doing that they helped to humanise it and therefore get more help for people with the real life version. Plus the xmen have often tackled tricky topics most people don’t want to touch as anti chinese racism because of covid 19 would be an interesting thing to talk about
    The X-Men helped to humanise aids? What the hell are you talking about?

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

The X-men addressing of the Lefacy Virus was low key one of my favorite moments in the books because before there was conjecture about the direct civil rights metaphor but with the legacy virus, there was AIDS that was happening and very in the present at the time of the story arc. It was good to x-men address it and with a lot of care and misunderstanding! The narrative never really got resolved in a traditional way and often it was just Beast's Field Science Blue off-Shoot team having philosophical tete a there's around the underside of the mutant community. They were at its mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    The X-Men helped to humanise aids? What the hell are you talking about?
    What did you think the legacy virus was a metaphor for?