Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Question Which marvel characters (individual or group) will be used for the 3 movies planned in 2020

Here is the updated timeline;
    marvel1update october 8 2015.jpg
    I know that Marvel Studios has 3 ways of working ;

2020 2 movies with established character(s) + 1 to be introduced
    2020 1 movie with established character(s) + 2 to be introduced
    2020 3 movies with established character(s)

http://www.slashfilm.com/marvel-movie-plans/
    I find Guardians of the Galaxy 3 a very likely possibility.
    Not so sure about Spider-Man 2 and Dr. Strange 2.

Thoughts?

Guardians 3, Strange 2, Spider-Man 2

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Guardians 3, Strange 2, Spider-Man 2
    Spider-Man would be announced by Sony. And given what they just did with Ant-Man I suspect we won't get any confirmed sequels for Doctor Strange until it actually does well at the box office.

My guess is one of the new movies will be Runaways and the other will be Guardians 3. Not sure about the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Spider-Man would be announced by Sony. And given what they just did with Ant-Man I suspect we won't get any confirmed sequels for Doctor Strange until it actually does well at the box office.

My guess is one of the new movies will be Runaways and the other will be Guardians 3. Not sure about the other.
    I'd like Runaways. That'd be fun. But I think all 3 of these slots are tentative. They've made it pretty clear that they have different plans based on how different things pan out. So I think assuming Doctor Strange does well, he'll be seen again in 2020. And there's no reason why Sony can't be the ones to confirm that one of these movies is Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Yes, I find that very plausible regarding Dr. Strange.

Runaways would be a very, very nice surprise!

GotG 3 is pretty much definite, I would say. I think Dr. Strange 2 actually is likely - I'm sure they expect that movie to do well, with Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead, and considering even an offbeat film like Ant-Man made enough to justify a sequel. (Unless Dr. Strange ends up being Marvel's first failure. Just like Ant-Man was supposed to be, and how GotG was supposed to be, and how basically any new property is supposed to be.)

For new franchise, it's tough to tell. Everyone keeps saying Runaways, but I'm sceptical. It's a diverse line-up, and the original line-up had more women than men, and one of the women was a lesbian. I honestly don't give Marvel Studios enough credit to do a movie with a cast like that. They haven't done anywhere near enough to show that they'd be willing to do that.

They've decided to get risky and try a Planet Hulk film? Or even... *GASP* no, a Black Widow solo film!?!

Yeah, probably not. Probably just making time for some sequels that they'll undoubtedly want to make as long as none of the new properties bomb. Guardians 3 and Spider-Man 2 are pretty much guarantees, but stuff like Captain Marvel 2 or Doctor Strange 2 might need to wait until audiences get a hold of the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post
    They've decided to get risky and try a Planet Hulk film? Or even... *GASP* no, a Black Widow solo film!?!

Yeah, probably not. Probably just making time for some sequels that they'll undoubtedly want to make as long as none of the new properties bomb. Guardians 3 and Spider-Man 2 are pretty much guarantees, but stuff like Captain Marvel 2 or Doctor Strange 2 might need to wait until audiences get a hold of the first round.
    Maybe they can kill 2 birds with one stone and do a Hulk/Black Widow movie.

I do think it might be cool if they went the Illuminati route and had guys like Stark, Strange, Black Panther to exile Hulk. We can get Planet Hulk with Maybe World War Hulk for the next Avengers movie. That might be cool.

I still want a time-skip forward movie and we get Young Avengers.

I mean, I feel like that solves any issues with the current actors steadily getting too old or wanting to do other projects, and hey Marvel gets a new cashcow franchisel Win-win!

But that's likely something that'll only be considered way at the tailend of the MCU, but one can hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    I still want a time-skip forward movie and we get Young Avengers.

I mean, I feel like that solves any issues with the current actors steadily getting too old or wanting to do other projects, and hey Marvel gets a new cashcow franchisel Win-win!

But that's likely something that'll only be considered way at the tailend of the MCU, but one can hope!
    If they do a Young Avengers movie, it would likely happen after Ant-Man 3. Figure 2021 for Ant-Man 3 to come out. So 2022 or 2023 for Young Avengers, with Cassie now a teenager.

I'm thinking It will be Guardians 3, Spider-Man 2, and then Dr. Strange or Black Panther 2 depending on which one does better.

Though if we were looking at new series. I'd guess: Nova, Cap movie with Bucky/Sam Cap, Thor movie with Beta Ray/Jane as Thor.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Spider-Man 2 in May.

Guardians 3 in July.

The November release will likely be something else. I think 4 years is too long to wait for a Doctor Strange sequel. It could be Panther 2 but I don't think the franchise would be successful in a November time slot (baring it being a run-a-way success). I suppose Strange is being released in November but I feel like Cumberbatch is an A-list actor right now, where as pretty much everyone attached to Panther right now is not. Maybe that will change in 5 years. I would not be surprised if it is actually for Thor. Hemsworth has said he will do any and all Thor movies. Plus, him getting older is fine, since they can transition him to being King Thor, maybe opening the door for Valkyrie or Jane to become to become the new "Thor", or even uplifiting someone like Beta-Ray Bill.

I debate a cap movie in my head. I really feel like he is going to die in Civil War and be resurrected by Thanos in one of the Infinity War movies. Maybe he deserves another movie. Or maybe Iron Man gets another film.

Could be something new too. Like maybe a Nova or a Runaways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    GotG 3 is pretty much definite, I would say. I think Dr. Strange 2 actually is likely - I'm sure they expect that movie to do well, with Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead, and considering even an offbeat film like Ant-Man made enough to justify a sequel. (Unless Dr. Strange ends up being Marvel's first failure. Just like Ant-Man was supposed to be, and how GotG was supposed to be, and how basically any new property is supposed to be.)

For new franchise, it's tough to tell. Everyone keeps saying Runaways, but I'm sceptical. It's a diverse line-up, and the original line-up had more women than men, and one of the women was a lesbian. I honestly don't give Marvel Studios enough credit to do a movie with a cast like that. They haven't done anywhere near enough to show that they'd be willing to do that.
    Hey, you're right! Ant-Man and Guardians WERE supposed to be failures. Why indeed should that begin to happen with the way cool Doctor Strange, the Sorcerer Supreme?

The updated timeline shows me that July 12 2019 will be the debut of the Inhumans.
    Expecting it to be a runaway succes, I surmise that to keep the momentum going May 1, 2020 is to feature the unexpectedly popular Inhuman of all time;
    KAMALA KHAN!!!

As a reminder: Marvel's strategy is at least one sequel and at least one new property every year. So 2020 won't be 3 sequels. They're also moving towards 3 years between each movie in a franchise. Dr. Strange comes out in 2016, which would mean 2019 would be the logical release date for the sequel, except we already know the three movies they're doing in 2019. So that means it's likely to take the first 2020 slot. GotG 2 comes out in 2017, so three years after that would be 2020; it could take either slot.

So the third movie is the real question. They could do Captain America with Bucky or Falcon taking up the role. That's possible. I don't know that I consider it likely, but it's possible.

It could be Runaways, but my scepticism about Marvel Studios' real commitment to diversity makes me doubt that. A black guy, an Asian girl, a lesbian, two more girls, and only a single white male? It's taken them 10 years to do one movie with a minority lead, and 11 to do one with a female lead. And they still haven't had any LGBT characters at all in the movies. So the idea that, soon after that, they would make a movie with such a diverse cast - well, I have doubts.

It could be Black Widow, but I'll be honest, I don't think Marvel's going to do a Black Widow movie. I think, in the end, Johansson might just be a little too expensive for them to cast as a lead.

Given the other two likely movies for 2020 are going to be weird ones - the comedic space opera of GotG, the magical weirdness of Dr. Strange - they may want something relatively grounded and smaller-scale for the third movie. One option could be Namor. Marvel's been working on getting the film rights for a while. They very well may expect to have the deals finalized in time for a 2020 release.

They could also potentially do a Thunderbolts movie. Probably not likely. But it wouldn't be that tough to do, especially if they're looking at the upcoming Suicide Squad movie as a bit of a vague outline.

Or, hell, maybe they'll do a Squirrel Girl movie. I know I'd be totally on board with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Hey, you're right! Ant-Man and Guardians WERE supposed to be failures. Why indeed should that begin to happen with the way cool Doctor Strange, the Sorcerer Supreme?

The updated timeline shows me that July 12 2019 will be the debut of the Inhumans.
    Expecting it to be a runaway succes, I surmise that to keep the momentum going May 1, 2020 is to feature the unexpectedly popular Inhuman of all time;KAMALA KHAN!!!
    Ms. Marvel's still way too new. I don't think Marvel's going to bank on her still being popular in five years. More likely, 2020 is when they'll decide if they should give her a movie for 2025.