Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Does it really matter if All New All Diffrent Marvel is out before Secret Wars ends?

I mean its not like it was in 1984 when Secret Wars was one book ever 12 months while the marvel books has the Changes. Like the big one Spider-mans Black costume. I guess it is like it. But its about the Mystery about how and why that makes it great
    Also if Secret Wars is at 6 and once a month then 9 will be in the start of the year

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I wish the delays didn't happen, but oh well. It's outside of our control. Plus from solicits, previews, and the announcement of series we already knew that ANAD essentially just picked up right where the world left off with the exceptions of not knowing where Doom and the Richards are (Iron Man answered one of those) and Hickman's story having been resolved. I fail to see too much of a problem outside of it all just being a slight annoyance.

To all those people waiting for their interrupted series to restart, no, Secret Wars doesn't need to finish first. To those following Secret Wars, it would help if it finished first, but as we've seen with the end of OML and the cover of Ultimate End #5, it has ended and people have walked into the light and gone to ANAD, So reading ANAD shouldn't be a problem.

But for those of us who are completists, Hickman has been a frustration at times by the way he tells, but does not show. That's his style, and maybe he has a philosophy on that, so we have to take the good with the bad. I, myself would have liked my Event to have ended as the new books came out, because I like to know its over. That's complete, so I can mentally accept what comes next. As it is, my appreciation of ANAD is tinctured with comparisons to the on-going SW's tie-ins, and it feels flat. I should be feeling excitement and awe as to what new dynamic ANAD brings, but I'm not feeling it.

It's not a big deal at all. As long as the stories are good.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

I'm going to be the naysayer here.

Yes, it does matter. Yes, as a reader, it sucks.

Who knows? Maybe for the publishing arm, for Marvel Comics, this is a good thing for its bottom line. They get the benefit of Secret Wars' sales and ANAD's launch sales. This could be good for the company financially.

Creatively, though, it's crap. It's event-driven comic publishing overtaking good stories.

Beginning. Middle. End. That's the foundation of literature and storytelling.

This is beginning, muddle and then another beginning while the old end hasn't concluded -- more muddle.

It doesn't really bother me because most of the spoilers so far have been stuff that already seemed like foregone conclusions. I saw a few people upset that Contest of Champions spoiled that Battleworld is no more, but honestly, did anyone think that it would stick around? Like were there seriously people banking on Doom remaining a god and the original universe not being restored?

Astonishing Member

Only, if you thought this story was going to lead to a reboot. Will certain toys be put back in the toy boxs like Wakanda and Atlantis ..well of course. Most events are just regular comic book stories that just makes the hero have to work harder to win.

ANAD is a reboot.

Ultimate U and the good ol' 616 deserved good endings before we got a new start, if only so we could get a clean break for that new beginning. But, hey, my point is moot. Marvel's publishing it however they see fit.

... But the Original Secret Wars had comics based after it coming out while only the first issue was in the stands.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

It bugs me a little. e.g. the reveal in Bendis Iron Man book
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

I'm glad the regular ongoings are back but I'm in the minority that hasn't kept up with Secret Wars. I don't do well with big company-wide crossover events. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were following it but I'm just glad to have my self-contained Marvel stories back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    ANAD is a reboot.

Ultimate U and the good ol' 616 deserved good endings before we got a new start, if only so we could get a clean break for that new beginning. But, hey, my point is moot. Marvel's publishing it however they see fit.
    It's NOT a reboot. A reading of the new ASM #1 is enough to make it clear that previous continuity is still very much in place.

Not a big deal for me because Marvel will not stop publishing comics set in the main Marvel Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's NOT a reboot. A reading of the new ASM #1 is enough to make it clear that previous continuity is still very much in place.
    If by reboot you mean a completely fresh slate with new origins and 'All-New (TM)' continuity, the verdict's out on that. Are they keeping a lot of the 616? Yes. But they're also throwing in pieces of Ultimate Marvel. They're also going to be disregarding a lot of old continuity, too. Is it a DC 52-style reboot? No, it's not that jarring.

If you want to buy Alonso and company's line that this isn't a reboot, then go ahead and buy that line they're selling.

By most accounts, though, this is a reboot and a lot of readers see it that way, including me.

Now, Marvel will never have to sensibly explain what happened to the real Nova and Thanos in the Cancerverse. And they won't be explaining a lot of other loose ends as well. You can take that to the bank.

Also, I don't care that Alex Ross designed it. I dislike the glowing green spider on Spidey's chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Now, Marvel will never have to sensibly explain what happened to the real Nova and Thanos in the Cancerverse. And they won't be explaining a lot of other loose ends as well. You can take that to the bank.
    You're kinda late to the party. They already explained all that in Original Sin.