Page 9 of 354 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    The latest run of Thor is written by Jason Aaron, collected in THOR: GOD OF THUNDER VOL 1-3 and THOR: GODBOMB. Here, Thor faces a foe, Gorr, who has successfully slaughtered all the gods throughout time, leaving only Past, Present and Future Thor. Esad Ribic provides beautifully painted artwork to make a rather weak story and villain enjoyable. Admittedly there are a few good Thor showings here, and the interaction between the 3 Thors was insightful and humorous, but I really disliked Gorr as a villain or character. Your mileage may vary.
    bloodyarts, that was a cool post, very helpful. I have to say though, I disagree with the part I bolded. No, I'm not saying that Ribic's artwork is not beautiful, but I can't agree the villain and story are weak. In fact, I would go so far as to say Gorr is one of the better villains of the last 5-10 years. Much more interesting than watered down versions of the same old faces.

God Butcher/Bomb is one of my all time favourite Marvel stories, cant wait for the OHC.

Extraordinary Member

Gorr is a superb villain. One of my favourites already.

I could see an argument being made that the Malekith storyline was a bit weak, but not Gorr. To be honest, I enjoyed the Malekith thing, too. I thought the other characters involved were fun.

Ultimate Member

Even if it is, it still beats what they did with Malekith in the movie. At least comic book Malekith has an actual personality and is kind of fun.

BANNED

Q: Which Avenger is fond of writing stories?

A: auTHOR!

Extraordinary Member

Oh dear!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    ...I would go so far as to say Gorr is one of the better villains of the last 5-10 years.
    Hey, it's cool. I could see how Gorr would draw some fans. It's just that we already saw an all-powerful godslayer in Jurgens' run with Desak The God Slayer. And I felt the Thor Lord of Earth storyline to be more compelling, as it had a nice build-up, introduced The Designate/Tyrene, The Tomorrow Man and Desak through a series of well-planned plot that allowed the story to play out organically.

Gorr starts out having wiped out every god in existence on Page 1 of Issue 1. Granted, I'm exaggerating a bit, but Gorr's narration over the course of the first few issues pretty much says this.

Gorr is only as powerful as he is because of his All-Black Necrosword, giving him the powers of Parallax Green Lantern. Even his constructs are more powerful than gods... Why was Gorr powerful enough to wipe out every other god in existence, but not Thor? Does this, in effect, mean Thor is the most powerful god there ever was and ever will be? Sure, Gorr kept him alive on purpose at first, but when it came down to final battle, Thor was victorious.

Sometimes, characters can be TOO powerful. That's just not fun, to me. That's why I called it a weak story and villain. It's easy to tell a story where the villain easily kills any and everybody, even before the story begins. I actually stopped reading Thor God of Thunder after the Gorr arc. What greater threat to Thor can there ever be?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    bloodyarts, that was a cool post, very helpful. I have to say though, I disagree with the part I bolded. No, I'm not saying that Ribic's artwork is not beautiful, but I can't agree the villain and story are weak. In fact, I would go so far as to say Gorr is one of the better villains of the last 5-10 years. Much more interesting than watered down versions of the same old faces.

God Butcher/Bomb is one of my all time favourite Marvel stories, cant wait for the OHC.
    With only 25 issues this will surely be one big omnibus which I will pre-order the day I see it. This was a wonderful run. Looking forward to where he takes Thor and Thor in the upcoming relaunch.

BANNED

Q: Who never runs out of food, clothing and everything else?

A: Sthor (store ya know) hahahah

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Thor will always be worthy to me, even when he's "unworthy" (in my mind he'll never been unworthy, although that Ribic illustration of him is terrific.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

Today is Friday, yesterday was Thor's Day. Lol

What happened to Donald Blake? Is he vanished again?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    What happened to Donald Blake? Is he vanished again?
    Didn't he get his head removed from his body and then his body was turned into a golem by the Enchantress during Fraction's run on Mighty Thor?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Russell Dauterman