Page 236 of 354 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 5304
    BANNED

"It`s been too long since I kissed a Thor"

Worth it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    He wasn’t portrayed as drunk, he was portrayed as entirely identifiable. Caring, insightful, informed and most of all human in his perspective. In short I thought he was great in this issue.

Odin is being portrayed exactly the same. It would perhaps be a cheat to have him change off panel don’t you think?

And no, Jane’s words are not “more powerful” they are more relevant to Freyja in her effective coma. Freyja is the one that is powerful in being able to throw off the poison. Indeed in many ways Jane inadvertently evokes her.
    Yeah, I edited out the drunk part before you replied, either way, this is not my Thor and I have 90% of the Thor fanbase agreeing with me.

Odin is being portrayed as a bitter man-child throwing temper tantrums, although this is not entirely Aaron´s fault, since his resurrection in 2011 this abomination that calls himself Odin is different than the Odin we know and love.

Yeah, because Jane´s motivational speech is soooooo perfect that even Freyja said "we have to be worthy......of her", I mean ffs, Aaron is shoving down that Mary Sue down our throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Yeah, I edited out the drunk part before you replied, either way, this is not my Thor and I have 90% of the Thor fanbase agreeing with me.

Odin is being portrayed as a bitter man-child throwing temper tantrums, although this is not entirely Aaron´s fault, since his resurrection in 2011 this abomination that calls himself Odin is different than the Odin we know and love.

Yeah, because Jane´s motivational speech is soooooo perfect that even Freyja said "we have to be worthy......of her", I mean ffs, Aaron is shoving down that Mary Sue down our throats.
    90% of the fanbase! That is laughable nonsense. Jane is the protagonist of this volume, live with it or don't read it.

BANNED

The website IGN has picked Mighty Thor as the best comic of 2017. Aaron was also nominated for best writer, but Jeff Lemire won that. Mitch Gerads won best artist, which Russell Dauterman was also nominated for.

90% of the fanbase! That is laughable nonsense. Jane is the protagonist of this volume, live with it or don't read it.
    I think....people are just tired of Jane always lecturing everybody and telling them what they should do, how they're failing and anybody who doesn't immediately think she's awesome is portrayed as terrible. Specifically all the men while every female agrees with her and it's "Death to the patriarchy".

It's unbalanced, and biased. If it was more nuanced, I'd understand why you'd like it but at this point, is it even an enjoyable comic to someone who is a fan of Thor (The real one) and his cast? Odin just said she's not worthy enough to be his concubine much less his advisor and then immediately Freya wakes up because of the power of Jane's words. It's just like really? Maybe we can have some subtlety? Maybe Odin doesn't have to be a sexist, idiotic ******* while Jane makes everyone else stand around her looking dumb, particularly Thor, as she gives this amazing and riveting speech?

It's unfair that you're response to his criticisms are live with or don't read it. I understand you might really like this comic, but perhaps understand why a lot of people, especially those invested in the Thor mythos for a long time (I'm not saying you aren't) would be upset? Especially since most of Jane's positive traits IMO were just copy/paste from Thor Odinson and the void was filled with depression and alcohol. After all, Jason Aaron is attempting to tear down what's come before, but he's not doing it a very balanced way IMO. YOU might think he does, and that's fine but plenty don't, and I think it's very justifiable. It's a very jarring and feels extremely contrived and inorganic. I'm guessing he's frustrated, and I would be to because in the next few issues, Mangog will stomp all of Asgard including Odin inexplicably, only for Jane to save the day through the Mother Storm and the Phoenix, dying and earning the respect of the Gods as the greatest wielder of Mjolnir ever and proves how a human is more worthy of the Gods. Great and all, but it's not going to be very respectful to the original cast.

This post isn't to belittle you, or start a debate on whether or not this is a good comic. It's about showing a different perspective and understand why a thread started in 2014 to appreciate Thor might have some opinions you find disagreeable.

At least, that's how I feel and I'm sure many others do to.

Picture this: the next writer takes over and in the very next issue has Odin strip her of Mjolnir, cure her cancer, and sends her home to Midgard to her abandoned son. Jane being a terrible mother loses custody of her son, and she is stuck flipping burgers as she's lost her medical license. You'd be very irritated or some would. And as much as I'd think that's justice, I wouldn't wish that on any character because these are stories that people have invested in.
    Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus; 12-20-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The website IGN has picked Mighty Thor as the best comic of 2017. Aaron was also nominated for best writer, but Jeff Lemire won that. Mitch Gerads won best artist, which Russell Dauterman was also nominated for.

Awesome news!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    Awesome news!
    Now if only it were to be nominated for another Eisner.

That might be too much to hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post

Congratulations to Aaron and the book (although it's IGN, so...yeah ) .

BANNED

Laugh all you want mate, if you only bothered to pull your head out of Aaron's a** for even a second, you'd notice the vast majority of the Thor fanbase is not pleased with his work ever since Jane took the hammer.
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 12-20-2017 at 10:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    I think....people are just tired of Jane always lecturing everybody and telling them what they should do, how they're failing and anybody who doesn't immediately think she's awesome is portrayed as terrible. Specifically all the men while every female agrees with her and it's "Death to the patriarchy".

It's unbalanced, and biased. If it was more nuanced, I'd understand why you'd like it but at this point, is it even an enjoyable comic to someone who is a fan of Thor (The real one) and his cast? Odin just said she's not worthy enough to be his concubine much less his advisor and then immediately Freya wakes up because of the power of Jane's words. It's just like really? Maybe we can have some subtlety? Maybe Odin doesn't have to be a sexist, idiotic ******* while Jane makes everyone else stand around her looking dumb, particularly Thor, as she gives this amazing and riveting speech?

It's unfair that you're response to his criticisms are live with or don't read it. I understand you might really like this comic, but perhaps understand why a lot of people, especially those invested in the Thor mythos for a long time (I'm not saying you aren't) would be upset? Especially since most of Jane's positive traits IMO were just copy/paste from Thor Odinson and the void was filled with depression and alcohol. After all, Jason Aaron is attempting to tear down what's come before, but he's not doing it a very balanced way IMO. YOU might think he does, and that's fine but plenty don't, and I think it's very justifiable. It's a very jarring and feels extremely contrived and inorganic. I'm guessing he's frustrated, and I would be to because in the next few issues, Mangog will stomp all of Asgard including Odin inexplicably, only for Jane to save the day through the Mother Storm and the Phoenix, dying and earning the respect of the Gods as the greatest wielder of Mjolnir ever and proves how a human is more worthy of the Gods. Great and all, but it's not going to be very respectful to the original cast.

This post isn't to belittle you, or start a debate on whether or not this is a good comic. It's about showing a different perspective and understand why a thread started in 2014 to appreciate Thor might have some opinions you find disagreeable.

At least, that's how I feel and I'm sure many others do to.

Picture this: the next writer takes over and in the very next issue has Odin strip her of Mjolnir, cure her cancer, and sends her home to Midgard to her abandoned son. Jane being a terrible mother loses custody of her son, and she is stuck flipping burgers as she's lost her medical license. You'd be very irritated or some would. And as much as I'd think that's justice, I wouldn't wish that on any character because these are stories that people have invested in.
    Excellent post man, you sum up the feelings of many Thor fans pretty well.

BANNED

Laugh all you want mate, if you only bothered to pull your head out of Aaron's a** for even a second, you'd notice the vast majority of the Thor fanbase is not pleased with his work ever since Jane took the hammer.
    Sales suggest otherwise.

The Thor fanbase is more than a few hundred posters online.

This run has been Marvel's best seller sense it launched .... where do you get this daft idea?

So once again: loved this issue. Odinson was the highlight in this issue, so I _really_ don't understand the negativity. He saved Jane from herself, pulled her out of a worthless match with an Olympian and talked sense in a way that he seemed truely content with his role in the universe. Considering how low he fell at one point, you can now see an Asguardian primed for an ascent (returned to this title? Given a new one as hinted by his gold hammer/arm?). I personally enjoy what I'm reading from Odinson now.

The War Thor may be gone ... but I'm kind of holding out. It was fun having a Berserker in the mix. I know leaving Volstag so damaged is probably an impossibility, but I wouldn't have minded exploring it more. Maybe I'm still coming off my Punisher binge.

I will admit the phrase "down with the patriarchy" was a bit jarring ... I'm mean "monarchy" would have fit better, wouldn't have changed the heart of the message, and all the word flip served to to is to make sure the political parallels aren't forgotten. I would have preferred it left a bit more subtle, but really: that's because I like my themes less "proclaimed" and more "demonstrated". Hey Angela got pretty heavy with it too, still had a ton of fun reading that one.

But really, Mangog is HERE! Oh the next issue will be fun, if 701 was any indicator.

@Wall-Crawler. The point I am making is that this “Jane is a Mary Sue and Odinson is being made to look like a pale comparison” is not born out by the actual story. People can assert it as much as they like but they are demonstrably wrong. Sure if they would prefer a book about OG Thor that’s a preference but it seems odd that they would spend so much energy criticising a book that isn’t trying to be that as if it is invalid to do something else.

The rhetoric is built out of incredibly thin material. Jane is a protagonist in a superhero comic. Of course she wins lots of fights and arguments. If that was all that happens it would be a boring story but instead she is potentially misguided and driven to an objective fault. Of course she is similar to Thor when she lifts Mjölnir, she IS Thor! Of course Odinson was depressed and less effective for a while, he has gone through a number of issues, but he has now mostly come out the other side. None of this adds up to a Mary Sue, none of this adds up to an unfavourable character comparison.

This is not a subjective issue. It isn’t about holding an opinion on what the story is about, this is reflecting on what has actually happened in the story and how the characters have actually been treated. It is not possible to build an argument that Jane is a Mary Sue that doesn’t mischaracterise the story.

That leaves criticism for the sake of it. An attempt to deliberately mischaracterise the book for agenda reasons. The agenda being ‘get Odinson back asap’. This is why I say don’t read it if you are not enjoying it. Hate reading it will only result in warped perceptions. Actually believing that the story is saying something it isn’t. Every time Jane acts like Thor you will see a “cut and paste” every time Odinson and Jane interact you will see only one side of the discussion, every time Aaron makes a joke about feminism you will see a lecture, every time a character comments on Odinson you will see an insult. Why put yourself through that? Why read a book you have already decided to dislike?

Disrespect.

like, seriously LOL.