Page 285 of 354 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 5304
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, don't agree with your level of venom, but basically.

Via Nick Fury, Aaron posed a question to Thor that was impossible to answer, because Aaron didn't care to define the purpose of Gods to begin with. The question is impossible to address because the basic premise is so undefined.

I have little doubt that Aaron will try to address it next issue, but I have little faith it's execution, looking at his past issues.

Beyond that, replacement heroes are used either to demonstrate how hard it is to fill the mantle. In that, they either struggle (Nightwing/Batman) or fall hard (Walker/US Agent).

But in Jane, she leaps over Thor inside of days. Despite having massive powers, she effortlessly fills the hole left by Thor, even going so far as claiming his name. And while Thor is deemed unworthy because mortals don't need Gods, with Jane apparently his legend spreads across space to the point that it pisses off the Shi'ar Gods.

It's not that Jane can't be as good as Thor, IMO, but it comes far too easily for her

IMO, Jason chips away at Thor in more subtle ways too.

First and foremost is Thor's 'virtue signalling'. In the constant debate of Believer vs. Atheist, one strawmen used by atheists is that believers only do good so that they might be rewarded in heaven, not simply to do good for its own sake (and yes, I'm aware there are strawmen thrown against atheists. That's not the discussion here).

And we see this with Thor in the Legacy issue. He does good deeds not to do good, but because he wants to swing that hammer. Thor is less a God who's learned humility, as was taught to him by his father, but a God who really, really likes his weapon.

Another way in which Aaron chips away at Thor, is how the power of the hammer is not that of Thor, as is inscribed on the hammer itself (and has been for decades). Instead, its that of a God Storm, something that comes into play only long enough to let us know that the power in the hammer isn't really Thor's.

Finally, we see Thor lose his hammer/not regain his worthiness (ideally, this will be a premature point but I have doubts). His hammer is thrown into the sun, not destroyed, but placed out of reach indefinitely. Thor is not the God of hammers, no, but he does have a signature weapon, one that's helped define his mythos for decades. When heroes re-assume their mantle, things might not always return to their original status, but they at least get their stuff back

Sadly, I'm reminded of the current Panther run. Some writers can't seem to reconcile their beliefs with the characters they write, and take it out on that characters as a result.
    I’ve really enjoyed Aaron’s run in Thor but I largely agree with this. Aaron has undone a lot of his good work and the ending of Jane’s arc collapsed under the weight of retcons that Aaron just couldn’t resolve in a logical manner,

Writer’s personal beliefs can be problematic if not kept in check, particularly when they are unable to put their own intimate, personal beliefs aside when writing certain characters. Coates has the same problem in Black Panther where he’s spent an inordinate amount of time and effort in tearing down the character’s world because of his personal feelings. This has been a big problem with Marvel’s comics in the last few years and it really points to weak editorial.

Now, Jane Foster is dead but at no point were we told why she was suddenly worthy to lift the hammer and Odinson wasn’t. Is it because she was willing to sacrifice her life? Thor has done this for more than 50 print years and Aaron’s reasoning here is arbitrary. What was the point of the “Mother Storm”? In what way has this helped the narrative going forward? What’s the point of depicting Odin as an arrogant buffoon? What was the point in the grand scheme of things of stripping Thor of his worthiness and not regaining it?

I understand that Aaron was trying to paint Jane in a sympathetic light and contrast her point of view with that of the Gods but it all seems a little forced because Thor has embraced humanity and humility long ago (that’s his whole origin story!!). Aaron told a pretty exciting and fascinating story but failed woefully to tie up the loose ends that he himself created.

Incredible Member

The Mother of Storms thing is a dumb retcon. It undermines Thor and even affects things like Beta Ray Bill and Stormbreaker.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    The Mother of Storms thing is a dumb retcon. It undermines Thor and even affects things like Beta Ray Bill and Stormbreaker.
    I agree.

It also makes Odin look pretty.....impotent and dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by marge_23 View Post
    So what's gonna happen next issue I wonder. Will it be a funeral? How is everyone gonna react to the reveal that Thor was jane. Lol what if she is somehow brought back or maybe turned into valkyrie. So many questions
    everyone will admit that she was the best and that she was right.

plus, a few panels where Odin and Thor cry because hammer was destroyed.

Daily reminder that it's canon that Thor was cheating on Jane back in Stan Lees run. Such a disgusting character, I'm not even sure how he has fans smh. Thank God for Jane foster, the Thor that we need.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Daily reminder that it's canon that Thor was cheating on Jane back in Stan Lees run. Such a disgusting character, I'm not even sure how he has fans smh. Thank God for Jane foster, the Thor that we need.
    So...he cheated on her, so she gets to take his stuff?

Astonishing Member

So...he cheated on her, so she gets to take his stuff?
    His stuff? What about his name?

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    That for me was the most unforgivable of Aaron's assaults on Thor... so far.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I missed that, what exactly happened/was revealed?

I missed that, what exactly happened/was revealed?
    Aaron retconning the Thor of the Lee/Kirby years as a cheat:

Astonishing Member

I keep forgetting about this

It was a petty choice and nothing but spiteful to do this imo when there was no need to harm his character in this way

Ultimate Member

Aaron retconning the Thor of the Lee/Kirby years as a cheat:
    Who did he cheat with? Sif? He's not freakin' Hercules

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I keep forgetting about this

It was a petty choice and nothing but spiteful to do this imo when there was no need to harm his character in this way
    I think we can sum up a great deal of Aaron's reveals that way.

I've little doubt that the God Storm will eventually either be utterly ignored or outright retconned. And I think the same will be true of Thor's 'virtue signalling' with the hammer.

One advantage of serial fiction, I suppose

Like I said earlier, the hammer is tainted now so I don't care if it's lost. The sooner we can forget about this pointless Mother of thunder nonsense, the better. The problem is Aaron is still on the book and intent on ruining as much of the mythos as he can, starting with every potential new hammer, apparently. We'll probably need another Ragnarok to repair the damage after he's done.

On a different note, anyone thinks the golden arm doesn't really work with the silver helmet and pants, visually speaking?
    Last edited by Lutecius; 03-24-2018 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    On a different note, anyone thinks the golden arm doesn't really work with the silver helmet and pants, visually speaking?
    In general I just don't think the gold looks really suits Thor's design that much.

Del Mundo seems to be the only one who can make it work, in my opinion, which I guess makes it a good thing that he's the one drawing the solo.