Page 351 of 354 FirstFirst ... 251301341347348349350351352353354 LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,265 of 5304
    Extraordinary Member

Say what you will, but I liked Thor's little speech to Jen at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But he’s chosen to write Odin and Thor massively out of character for large parts of the series. And I actually think I could also put together a credible argument to suggest he’s also written Jane out of character as well...what is there before the Aaron run to support notion that she could quickly become a totally fearless, skilled warrior?
    She's from Marvel's New York ?

Although in all seriousness I think Jane has been presented as being pretty brave and compassionate by human standards. Does that make her Thor Worthy? Maybe, maybe not, but the standards of the Hammer seem to just be "whatever" by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's from Marvel's New York ?

Although in all seriousness I think Jane has been presented as being pretty brave and compassionate by human standards. Does that make her Thor Worthy? Maybe, maybe not, but the standards of the Hammer seem to just be "whatever" by this point.
    Lol.

I see Jane (before she became Thor) as an exceptional person of the (wonderful) type to become a doctor. I don't see why that would be likely to be "worthy" in terms an ancient Norse battle god would be likely to specify in hammer's original enchantment.

Nor do I see how...unless once the hammer "accepts" you it changes your basic character and skill set...how she would be so relaxed, confident, and skilful in pitched battles to the death. (But then if hammer can and does change people that way...why not let anybody pick it up and be transformed? No need to be worthy beforehand...the hammer itself gives you everything needed.) Ultimately I don't see any strong character logic in picking Jane...it feels like it went that way just because it felt likely to sell a few more comics, and allowing a few "emotional" Thor and Jane scenes at some point of the series.

Not anything like as big an issue as portrayal of Thor himself and Odin...but just another "straw in the wind" that Aaron didn't care all that much about pre-existing characterisations. It wouldn't matter that much if run was brilliant in all other aspects, but I don't think it is. (It's good in other aspects rather than brilliant...in my completely subjective opinion.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Say what you will, but I liked Thor's little speech to Jen at the end.
    I found the rendering of Thor in this avengers issue almost painful to read.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Thanks. You're right, it's impossible to know how most people really feel about something. It's a little easier with Thor or Daredevil than Spider-Man or Batman, because the former have smaller bases that buy the title regardless of how much they like it currently, but it's still impossible to say for sure. I just believe that as a general rule the boards skew way more negative than everywhere else. A few dedicated posters can make it seem like nobody likes a book, but in reality 40,000 people liked it just fine, we just didn't hear from them. Anyway I guess it doesn't really matter in the end to me. Most of the things I love don't sell and get cancelled while books I don't care for go on forever, so what's popular doesn't really reflect what I would like, usually. That sounds way more hipster than I really am!

I will say I saw a ton of people who were new to comics pick up the book when the new Thor came on the scene. They really resonated with some people and drew eyes to the book. The sub list at my shop grew by over a hundred percent when they took over and went back to normal when their time as Thor was up, and the first trade with the new Thor has been a huge seller. There's a flip side to that, with the Odinson fans who really dislike that period of the book, of course. But anything that brings new readers to comics is a good thing in my book. When it's because of a story that people were able to connect with on an emotional level, and able to intensely relate to despite the fantastical setting, that just makes it even more of a good thing imo.
    I got why janes run with the hammer was interesting, I liked it too for her part, it was new and novel.

what I detested was the way thor and odin were dealt with during that tenure, and still do now.

But that doesn't change that I found janes journey a novel and interesting run.

For me, I'd have no real interest in revisiting it, nor any one else with the hammer, but that's mostly because I hated what Aaron fid yo the hammers origin with the god storm.

what I liked I really liked, what I dislike I truly detest

and it's not often ill say that

but I can see why it's appealing to some readers

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I found the rendering of Thor in this avengers issue almost painful to read.
    He writes Thor like a block head in Avengers.

I would think Thor would be a little better at romance than his current showing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    He writes Thor like a block head in Avengers.

I would think Thor would be a little better at romance than his current showing.
    Imo just awful

Lol.

I see Jane (before she became Thor) as an exceptional person of the (wonderful) type to become a doctor. I don't see why that would be likely to be "worthy" in terms an ancient Norse battle god would be likely to specify in hammer's original enchantment.

Nor do I see how...unless once the hammer "accepts" you it changes your basic character and skill set...how she would be so relaxed, confident, and skilful in pitched battles to the death. (But then if hammer can and does change people that way...why not let anybody pick it up and be transformed? No need to be worthy beforehand...the hammer itself gives you everything needed.) Ultimately I don't see any strong character logic in picking Jane...it feels like it went that way just because it felt likely to sell a few more comics, and allowing a few "emotional" Thor and Jane scenes at some point of the series.

Not anything like as big an issue as portrayal of Thor himself and Odin...but just another "straw in the wind" that Aaron didn't care all that much about pre-existing characterisations. It wouldn't matter that much if run was brilliant in all other aspects, but I don't think it is. (It's good in other aspects rather than brilliant...in my completely subjective opinion.)
    I think we're supposed to assume that most of her combat prowess and tactics comes with the Thor transformation, to make her into "Thor," and are driven by Mjolnir, especially with how sentient the hammer acted while she was wielding it.

BANNED

So anybody thought AOG to be much better than what we have seen on Thor so far ? The latest issue was quite good .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    So anybody thought AOG to be much better than what we have seen on Thor so far ? The latest issue was quite good .
    Im really enjoy that book

A lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    It's good fun book.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we're supposed to assume that most of her combat prowess and tactics comes with the Thor transformation, to make her into "Thor," and are driven by Mjolnir, especially with how sentient the hammer acted while she was wielding it.
    I think we have to do that. Which takes a lot away from criterion of being worthy. And yet one might think that fighting ability might form an important part of “worthy”...for purposes for being a god of war. (Which has always been one of Thor’s attributes.)

Think of the following names: Peter Parker, Sue Richards, Ben Grimm, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, John Doe, A.N. Other, Jane Foster.

For the life of me I can’t think of any specific reason why Jane Foster would be judged “worthy” and most of the others wouldn’t. Or why hundreds of other Marvel characters wouldn’t...

But I’m moaning about a really specific point...I’m not sure how important it is. It just niggles me that an ancient hammer created when “worthy” would surely mean something like “fearless, extensive battle prowess, living to a specific code of honour” suddenly decides to re-define worthy as “nice person”.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 12-12-2018 at 10:54 PM.

I think we have to do that. Which takes a lot away from criterion of being worthy. And yet one might think that fighting ability might form an important part of “worthy”...for purposes for being a god of war. (Which has always been one of Thor’s attributes.)

Think of the following names: Peter Parker, Sue Richards, Ben Grimm, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, John Doe, A.N. Other, Jane Foster.

For the life of me I can’t think of any specific reason why Jane Foster would be judged “worthy” and most of the others wouldn’t. Or why hundreds of other Marvel characters wouldn’t...

But I’m moaning about a really specific point...I’m not sure how important it is. It just niggles me that an ancient hammer created when “worthy” would surely mean something like “fearless, extensive battle prowess, living to a specific code of honour” suddenly decides to re-define worthy as “nice person”.
    Aaron just followed the pattern set down in What If #10 no explanation of why she is worthy, she just is.

BANNED

The comicbook character Jane Foster as the comicbook character Thordis was, to me, fine.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Journey into Mystery #99 Dec 1963
    First appearance of Mr. Hyde in "The Mysterious Mister Hyde!"
    Having been refused a job by Doctor Blake, Calvin Zabo becomes Mister Hyde;

Meanwhile, Odin agrees to let Thor marry Jane Foster if she proves worthy;

Mister Hyde attacks Doctor Blake.

Script by Stan Lee, art by Don Heck