Page 233 of 354 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243283333 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 5304

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hello,

Thor has been my favorite superhero since Marvel relaunched the title with Straczynski and Coipel. That series is what got me interested in collecting superhero comics. Unfortunately I dropped the title after Fraction's World Eaters arc and haven't read much Thor or superhero comics in general since then. Now that I've started looking around Marvel's Legacy titles I've been more and more tempted to jump back into Thor. Aaron's work at Vertigo and Image has been great, but his Marvel stuff has been hit or miss for me. I've heard his run has been great, but stories featuring someone else wielding the hammer have never been my favorite. Still it seems like Jane's time as Thor is winding down so I've decided to take the plunge and jump on with issue 700. It's weird because it doesn't seem that long since I was reading 600. Time flies, huh? Anyway I'll post my thoughts after I'm caught up with the current arc.
    If you're interested, check out Thor pre-2004. Namely the Dan Jurgens run that ends with Michael Avon Oeming's "Ragnarok" story. Quite epic.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    If you're interested, check out Thor pre-2004. Namely the Dan Jurgens run that ends with Michael Avon Oeming's "Ragnarok" story. Quite epic.
    Indeed this run straddles the period between classic and modern Thor for me. A very modern comic with grand themes and a fascinating exploration of Thor.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I would neeed to double check, but I believe all three were in the all female team that Odinson gathered at the end of Thor, so they are theoretically still around. They were also shown together in the last Loki run. What Aaron seems to have chosen to do is have Freyja represent the All-Mother and de-emphasise the three-in-one element. Personally I always felt the triple aspect goddess was something that didn't quite sit well with Norse myth or the MU, but I am slightly prejudiced against comparative mythology and any hint of nineteenth century mythologising. Not every goddess is a three part goddess.

It would be perfectly possible for any of the three to act on behalf of the other two at some point, so we may continue to see echoes of them. But I suspect Aaron's endgame will be shared power between All-Mother and All-Father, and the tripartite goddess may have detracted from that.
    Correct, and also they were never fully utilized in any series they showed up in. Aaron has given Freyja more characterization then any writer has ever. I do hope we get a end game with her, I also wonder if Aaron is disregarding Loki Agent of Asgard wholesale. I say this because Freyja did die fighting King Loki and is never referenced after her return after Secret Wars, but Aaron references his own pre Secret Wars development.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Indeed this run straddles the period between classic and modern Thor for me. A very modern comic with grand themes and a fascinating exploration of Thor.
    Oh man I have difficulty reading Thor pre JMS, it feels so archaic compared to how Thor is written now.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Oh man I have difficulty reading Thor pre JMS, it feels so archaic compared to how Thor is written now.
    Well if it is any consolation I found Jurgens a struggle for quite a few issues. He seems to take a while to find his feet, or even recognise the status quo of the characters he uses, but he slowly develops a very modern set of themes. I was told to persevere on these very forums and I would encourage you to do so too.

In general I prefer modern Thor, and very early Thor to anything inbetween. But modern Thor definitely began with Jurgens.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I've enjoyed what I've read of Simonson/DeFalco Thor, but I understand that classic comics are not everyone's cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've enjoyed what I've read of Simonson/DeFalco Thor, but I understand that classic comics are not everyone's cup of tea.
    Yeah, I understand the appeal it's just not for me. I have read some of JRJR's run the art was amazing but it didn't hook me.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Thanks! I've read this one before, but it may be time for a reread. I've read all of the Lee/Kirby stuff and a good portion of Simonson's run and enjoyed those too.

I might be the only one but IW is meh from the trailer.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I didn't notice Mantis when I saw the trailer before. I love that.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I might be the only one but IW is meh from the trailer.
    Leaves me a little cold, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I didn't notice Mantis when I saw the trailer before. I love that.
    Actually, Mantis was the first Guardian I noticed, if only because I was wondering why she's even there .

and damn, Thor looks lame af in the movie.

Cap(whoever was that) > Proxima Midnight
    Last edited by GodThor; 11-29-2017 at 04:36 PM.