Page 141 of 354 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 5304

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thor looks so weird with the classic look but without the hammer .

I wonder if the story is going to end with him finally being able to lift Mjolnir?
    is Aaron writing that???

I can see a couple of L's already.

Heads up to those that are fans of Aaron, or just want to catch up without spending too much, Comixology have Thor God of Thunder Vols 1-4 and the following Thor Vol 1-2 on sale. As well as the single issues of T:GoT.

thor.jpg

I really do not care for Thor's role in Secret Empire.

I really do not care for Thor's role in Secret Empire.
    same.

also, RIP the Queen of Cinders

first appearance and she immediately gets rekted.

wtf lol...
    Last edited by GodThor; 08-02-2017 at 09:37 AM.

great villain indeed.

BANNED

Words from Russel Dauterman:

"This is our big anniversary issue, and I wanted something big to celebrate it. We did the wraparound-foldout cover for THE MIGHTY THOR #1, and I wanted to do something similar here. But, where the #1 cover had all sorts of Asgardian characters, this cover focuses more closely on the various Thors that Jason’s had in his run. I wanted Jane to be the most prominent, leading them into battle. The threat of Mangog has been looming over the book for a little while now, and that’s only going to intensify, so he’s literally looming over our heroes here. And we had to get the Frog of Thunder in there!

Yeah no, simply no, beyond ridiculous, Jane shouldn´t be leading anyone into battle, she´s one of the most inexperienced heroes in the Marvel Universe, and that´s speaking about the earth heroes, let alone asgardians like Thor and Volstagg who have lived thousands of years, Jane is the last one who should lead the other Thors, at this point her character is just ridiculous, the definition of a Mary Sue, I guess feminism gives you more right to lead than having thousands of years of experience in battles.

BANNED

Queen of Cinders, brought to you because Aaron just had to make a female version of Surtur.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    A notable issue that you didn't mention is this thing about "The Mother of Storms" being a deity worshipped by the Frost Giants. Which was used as foreshadowing, before Aaron told the myth (which is itself unreliable). This suggests that the storm is actually an antagonist in the story and is not really what Jane thought it was. So Mjölnir is not really sentient but is instead under the influence of an enemy of Asgard.

It also means anyone upset with Aaron supposedly changing Mjölnir can at least console themselves that it was always meant to be a temporary status quo. And not a rewrite of how Mjölnir works or how worthiness is decided.

It is also worth noting that Aaron is using continuity problems to examine the origin of Mjölnir. There is no single story that explains exactly why Mjölnir was made, or why and when the enchantment was placed upon it. Instead we have conflicting reasons and stories, and Aaron is simply taking advantage of that continuity issue. To suggest we had an established and concrete origin for the hammer before Aaron is just ignoring the facts. The panel you posted highlights that point, as well as foreshadowing Legacy.
    The "Mother of Storms" exists for no other reason than to be a plot device in helping Jane not be the most incompetent hero ever, the sentience of Mjolnir was necessary because not even Aaron is dumb enough to have a woman who had never fought in her life, suddenly perform the role of Thor Odinson in protecting all the realms, Mjolnir has been basically helping her and guiding her along the way, doing all the hard work for her. Also, how convenient that all the years Thor used Mjolnir the "mother storm" was not active, but it awakened just in time when Jane picked it up, how convenient.

As for Mjolnir not having a comic especifically depicting its origin, you have a point there, but it had been mentioned and established many times throughout the 50+ years of Thor history that the hammer was created by Odin as a gift to Thor, but he became too arrogant and full of pride that Odin vanished him to Midgard to teach him humility and placed the worthy enchantmen on Mjolnir.

BANNED

What, there's a fem-Surtur now?

If there's any legitimate reason to keep Thor unworthy, being part of the slaughter of a race of innocents (albeit unknowingly) in today's Avengers issue probably fits the bill.

Of course, aiding and abetting Hydra probably isn't doing him any favors either...

BANNED

If there's any legitimate reason to keep Thor unworthy, being part of the slaughter of a race of innocents (albeit unknowingly) in today's Avengers issue probably fits the bill.

Of course, aiding and abetting Hydra probably isn't doing him any favors either...
    Wait what ?? Marvel just keeps screwing over the character.
    What issue did this happen ??

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Wait what ?? Marvel just keeps screwing over the character.
    What issue did this happen ??
    Issue 10. It came out today. Truth be told it isn't good. They can't just have a hero be a hero anymore.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Just a cool picture I found:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    What, there's a fem-Surtur now?
    yeah, but she gets owned by this new War Thor.

its funny how new Thor's are more competent then the original one.
    Last edited by GodThor; 08-03-2017 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    The "Mother of Storms" exists for no other reason than to be a plot device in helping Jane not be the most incompetent hero ever, the sentience of Mjolnir was necessary because not even Aaron is dumb enough to have a woman who had never fought in her life, suddenly perform the role of Thor Odinson in protecting all the realms, Mjolnir has been basically helping her and guiding her along the way, doing all the hard work for her. Also, how convenient that all the years Thor used Mjolnir the "mother storm" was not active, but it awakened just in time when Jane picked it up, how convenient.
    To make this true you would need to totally ignore the story being told. But I am guessing you are not reading the story. If you were you would be seeing a growing list of clues that suggest the complete opposite. I understand if you have no interest in the story, but you really can't judge this story by only looking at the surface events. You certainly can't tell what a writer is doing and what the message of the story is, if you prejudge the writer as being dumb.

As for Mjolnir not having a comic especifically depicting its origin, you have a point there, but it had been mentioned and established many times throughout the 50+ years of Thor history that the hammer was created by Odin as a gift to Thor, but he became too arrogant and full of pride that Odin vanished him to Midgard to teach him humility and placed the worthy enchantmen on Mjolnir.
    You totally missed my point. Yes we have a long history of details about Mjölnir. Contradictory stories. Some stories that say one thing and others that say completely different things.

Clearly you fall into the "everybody knows" camp, ie the type of reader that looks at the canon and puts together a picture that makes most sense and minimises those things that don't fit the picture. That is a perfectly valid and common approach used by readers and writers over the years. But not all of us do that. Some of us look at canon as a whole, and especially pay attention to all the things that don't add up and contradict each other. Aaron is taking advantage of one of those contradictory areas of canon. 700 issues of contradictions. (Actually many more even if we ignore pre Thor JitM)

You clearly want Mjölnir to mean something specific, but unfortunately it has a history of anything but. When was it made? How was it made? When was the enchantment placed upon it? Why was the enchantment placed upon it? What does weilding it actually grant the weilder? What are the criteria of worthiness? Why was it hidden in a cave? None of these things have simple answers in canon.

Sure, many people ignore the issues and answer these questions with the most simple answers that fit the ideas they most prefer. They ignore the stories that state totally different perspectives. But stories are born out of questions like these, and some of us appreciate stories that ask these questions, and don't give the easy answers.

One problem with seeking the easy answers, is when a writer does somethings unexpected, it is easy to assmume that they have chosen easy but contradicting answers. That clearly they are rewriting things to suit them. I have read Aaron's run more closely than most comics, examining the text carefully and teasing out any little clues I can find. I don't believe Aaron is seeking to give easy answers, or just rewrite anything to suit him. He is being far more subtle than that. He is playing with our expectations, and making us think about some of these questions. He is closely examining what happens if a human that is worthy picks up the hammer, but he is also throwing in red herrings and curveballs. He is playing with our expectations.

Instead of worrying that the person picking up the hammer has zero combat experience, it might be a better idea to ask yourself who that character carrying Mjölnir actually is. What powers, skills, abilities and knowledge does weilding that hammer endow. What virtues does it embody, and how well do any of those things align with our notion of worthiness. How does this person holding the hammer compare and contrast with previous people, aliens, gods and frogs that have lifted it before? Does lifting that stone on a stick change who you are? And what exactly is a god?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-03-2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: My iPad hates the word canon and seems to prefer weapons