Page 184 of 354 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 5304

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    The very idea that this is an argument that can be won conclusively by pointing to pages and panels in old books is somewhat flawed. I equally do this, but usually to prove a narrow point, not an entire thesis. Indeed any argument that took-in the whole history of Thor, as a counterpoint to Aaron, would actually be work that deserved payment or at least an established blog that allowed the person doing such work some recognition. It would be a huge undertaking precisely because Aaron's run is now quite considerably long, and the history referenced and drawn upon stretches back over many decades. I have been tempted to do this myself, as a form of annotation of the comics, but I recognise how much work it would require. Probably comparable to writing the run in the first place, and certainly many more words.
    Even if your thesis is wide-ranging (in fact, especially if it is wide-ranging!) you should be able to provide a few solid examples to back up your point, otherwise it's tosh. By saying that I have read so much Thor, my knowledge being so vast and insightful, that I cannot possibly boil down my argument to a mere paragraph or two, and that indeed it would require me to take the time to write a whole book to do justice to my theory, time which I haven't got as I am so important... that's just a way of talking myrself up while trying to excuse the lack of anything substantial to the proposed argument. Long-winded esoteric babbling with little in the way of solid facts or even definable theories is exactly what Yes, Minister used to parody so well with Sir Humphrey Appleby's brilliantly complicated and intentionally incomprehensible explanations - they were not intended to clarify, on the contrary they were intended to conceal any real facts, to bamboozle and confuse; "bafflegab", in other words. If you can't (or won't) back up your theory with anything then there is probably something wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Even if your thesis is wide-ranging (in fact, especially if it is wide-ranging!) you should be able to provide a few solid examples to back up your point, otherwise it's tosh. By saying that I have read so much Thor, my knowledge being so vast and insightful, that I cannot possibly boil down my argument to a mere paragraph or two, and that indeed it would require me to take the time to write a whole book to do justice to my theory, time which I haven't got as I am so important... that's just a way of talking myrself up while trying to excuse the lack of anything substantial to the proposed argument. Long-winded esoteric babbling with little in the way of solid facts or even definable theories is exactly what Yes, Minister used to parody so well with Sir Humphrey Appleby's brilliantly complicated and intentionally incomprehensible explanations - they were not intended to clarify, on the contrary they were intended to conceal any real facts, to bamboozle and confuse; "bafflegab", in other words. If you can't (or won't) back up your theory with anything then there is probably something wrong with it.
    You are putting an awful lot of words in my mouth that I would never say. In general, not wanting to get involved in a negative argument about one of my favourite books currently on the stands is surely understandable? I don't feel the need to prove how wonderful I find it. However over the last few years I have provided numerous commentaries, thoughts, reflections and indeed arguments about it. I am not naive enough to believe they would convert somebody that doesn't like it. I would like to think my own thoughts and writing on the book have at least made some people reflect upon it and perhaps sway the noncommittal. Some of the feedback makes me feel I have had a little success with this aim.

You are putting an awful lot of words in my mouth that I would never say.
    Fair enough. I did not meant to imply that you had actually said "I have read so much Thor, my knowledge being so vast and insightful, that I cannot possibly boil down my argument to a mere paragraph or two, and that indeed it would require me to take the time to write a whole book to do justice to my theory, time which I haven't got as I am so important... ", but I felt that is where the argument was leading. It was a little glib. Apologies.

In general, not wanting to get involved in a negative argument about one of my favourite books currently on the stands is surely understandable?
    No-one has said otherwise (that I have seen).

I don't feel the need to prove how wonderful I find it.
    Why should anyone here ask you to prove how much you like the book? No-one here to my knowledge has asked you to prove such a thing. Why would they? Why are you implying that any of us want you to do something so ridiculous?

This is exactly the kind of thing that bugs me: you have quoted my post, then underneath it you defend yourself against ridiculous demands I haven't made, that I don't think anyone has made. You just seem to intentionally cloud the issue. What has what you are talking about got to do with what I was saying?

However over the last few years I have provided numerous commentaries, thoughts, reflections and indeed arguments about it. I am not naive enough to believe they would convert somebody that doesn't like it. I would like to think my own thoughts and writing on the book have at least made some people reflect upon it and perhaps sway the noncommittal. Some of the feedback makes me feel I have had a little success with this aim.
    Posting thoughts is always interesting and I don't think anyone here is looking to stop that. Proposed arguments will be challenged by people who don't agree with them however, and while people are civil about it that isn't a bad thing, imo. Discussing points of view are what the boards are about.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Spoilers.

This is just getting ridiculous. How many Thors are going to be there? Better start a Thor hammer corps now.

Yeah, I see nothing good here concerning Thor. For me, Marvel has made a huge mess of the character.

Ditto Odin, who was kind of a jerk in his very first appearance, banishing Thor, and contined to be a jerk in the eighties, when he was stealing the power (and life-energy!) of every other Asgardian god to fight the Celestials while channeled into the Destroyer (and wielding the Odinsword).
    The real problem here is that people think Odin and Asgard should be a democracy, where everyone has equal rights and other such nonsense. It's not; Odin exercises authority because he IS authority in Asgard. He is also wisdom but modern writers don't bother writing him with that particular attribute (lacking it themselves, IMHO); they see anything other than democratic principles as tyrannical (which is a false assumption, but common). There was nothing wrong with Odin's actions in fighting the Celestials. He tends to see the Big Picture, Thor rarely does. This is what leads them into so much conflict with one another and was such a successful plot-line throughout the early years of the book. Now, their relationship has been recast as a power struggle with Odin being written as a tyrant and Thor as an underwhelming bully much of the time.

INCREDIBLE HULK #711
    • GREG PAK (W) • GREG LAND (A/C)
    • VARIANT COVER BY MARCO CHECCHETTO
    • Phoenix Variant Cover by DAN MORA
    • RETURN TO PLANET HULK Part 3
    • On the savage planet of Sakaar, the last remaining tribes of a dead society fight for dwindling resources… A sequence of ancient trials known as the Gauntlet is the only way to survive! A champion is called to battle: AMADEUS CHO, THE TOTALLY AWESOME HULK! His opponent is a familiar one… WITNESS THE THUNDERING BARBARIAN!!! The ODINSON!
    • 32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    MIGHTY THOR #702
    • JASON AARON (W) • RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (A/C)
    • Phoenix Variant by Kris Anka
    • THE DEATH OF THE MIGHTY THOR Part 3
    • As the War of the Realms continues to spread, Jane Foster has finally had enough. Will she rally the Asgardians in time to save their home? Or has Odin’s arrogance doomed them all? And as if total war wasn’t enough, there’s also the impending arrival of the unstoppable Mangog. Can even a guest appearance by Hercules avert disaster? Artist Russell Dauterman returns as LEGACY marches toward the Death of the Mighty Thor!
    • 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Oh hey, Thor vs. a Hulk on Sakaar. I'm sure that can't be a coincidence .

But I really don't like calling Thor a "Thundering Barbarian" .

Niffleheim

Honestly there needs to be an Event about Names. The Son of Odin is a Thundering Barbarian but he is not Thor. Just Thor lol!

Fantastic Member

wow that looks terrible NOTHULK versus an emasculating Odinson(NOT THORYET) on the cover to#711..sigh..so when does REAL THOR & Bruce Banner Incredible Hulk come back? 720's? for both? perhaps? this is the bad side of marvel that need to change quickly...

the solicit for THOR#702 say's the" Jane has enough!" so by 702 she's still alive? sigh...when will the REAL Thor return? 710's? 720's?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Spoilers.

This is just getting ridiculous. How many Thors are going to be there? Better start a Thor hammer corps now.
    You do realize that this is one of the primer pages for Avengers, right? It's showing past and present members of the team with no bearing on future stories.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    wow that looks terrible NOTHULK versus an emasculating Odinson(NOT THORYET) on the cover to#711..sigh..so when does REAL THOR & Bruce Banner Incredible Hulk come back? 720's? for both? perhaps? this is the bad side of marvel that need to change quickly...

the solicit for THOR#702 say's the" Jane has enough!" so by 702 she's still alive? sigh...when will the REAL Thor return? 710's? 720's?
    Well, if you want Thor as Thor and Bruce Banner Hulk together there is a digital first series going on right now called "Thor vs. Hulk: Champions of the Universe."

give me a REAL Hulk vs Thor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    give me a REAL Hulk vs Thor.
    Thor vs. Hulk: Champions of the Universe features Banner and Odinson.

#1 came out two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Thor vs. Hulk: Champions of the Universe features Banner and Odinson.

#1 came out two weeks ago.
    It looked okay...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It looked okay...
    Didn't read it myself.

But I just learned that it was written by the same guy that did Princeless, so I might actually get around to checking it out.