Page 227 of 354 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 5304

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    It's the inherent problem with the superhero genre. I prefer continuous storytelling and evolution, personally, it's why I left. I understand why the big two keep the characters stuck without evolving them (the whole IP reasoning). I personally don't need to re-examine the origins of any particular character, but that's just me. I don't begrudge anyone who sticks around.
    I would see this as artificially building a false dichotomy between addressing the premise of a character and evolving the character. It is possible to do both simultaneously. I believe Aaron is doing just that, addressing a fundamental and revisited underpinning of Thor while doing so in a way that has not been done before. To claim all Aaron is doing is revisiting old ground would be to ignore the facts, or to simplify the facts to the point of absurdity, that this particular question has been asked before. It hasn't.

The mighty Thor #701...
    Wow, Aaron's atheism is really showing... Despite it going against how the gods have been portrayed as heroic and fighting for man and saving people. I really enjoyed the parts with Karnilla and Balder, disappointed in how the war of realms was barely shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    The mighty Thor #701...
    Wow, Aaron's atheism is really showing... Despite it going against how the gods have been portrayed as heroic and fighting for man and saving people. I really enjoyed the parts with Karnilla and Balder, disappointed in how the war of realms was barely shown.
    Bear in mind who the whole issue is narrated in the voice of. Seems unlikely Aaron would choose that character as the mouthpiece for his own views. I really don't see atheism here, I see a continuation of the ongoing question, are the gods of the MU worthy.

The mighty Thor #701...
    Did they get to reunite in the afterlife ?

Astonishing Member

The mighty Thor #701...

That was my initial reaction too

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Bear in mind who the whole issue is narrated in the voice of. Seems unlikely Aaron would choose that character as the mouthpiece for his own views. I really don't see atheism here, I see a continuation of the ongoing question, are the gods of the MU worthy.
    I might have missed the voice of the narrative?

As for the worthyness question, I just wish he'd get round to some conclusion one way or the other so we can move the narrative along

Imo it's decompressed beyond any fun or interest now

I suppose I'm just board with his story now, might skip it for a while till there at least a move from this worthyness examination or a new creative gives the book some fresh legs, coz for me it feels very same ish with each issue

Which I'll admit is probably unfair on my part

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    As for the worthyness question, I just wish he'd get round to some conclusion one way or the other so we can move the narrative along
    That is the narrative. It isn't a question of moving it along, that is the whole story, and it will continue to be so until Aaron finishes. It isn't even a question as such. This does seem to divide people that read Aaron.

The story is not the thing being withheld. When there was a mystery as to who Thor was that wasn't what the story was about, that was just a withheld piece of information. This isn't a story about whether Odinson will ever be worthy again (he will), or why he isn't worthy (we know why and always kind of did), or even how he will become worthy (we have enough clues to know the general gist of that). The story is what is going on along the way. The story is about examining Thor as an idea, a deity and a hero. The examination is the whole point. If you don't like that then it really is time to stop reading, because that is what Aaron does. That is his process. To carefully examine everything through analogy and tease out the nuances through context and comparisons. If you don't engage with that as an approach then you won't enjoy the book.

It is a bit like criticising Moore for deconstructing things, and wishing he would just be done with it so we could get to the story. For Moore and Aaron by different means, the deconstruction is the story. When that is over the story is finished.

spoilers:
    The narrator was Malekith. Both highly unreliable and biased.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-15-2017 at 12:58 PM.

*double posting*

There is no nuisance, subtlety or examination here. Mentioning Moore and Aaron in the same breath is just confusing and silly.

And so this story finally completes the circle of Odins character assassination. Mangog's race was originally a blood thirsty and completely destructive people that tore through the Universe and Odin destroyed them for the sake of creation.

And here it implies that maybe Odin just destroyed them for speaking out of turn, who knows, because Odin is such a terrible bastard....Smh. Garbage. Gods, particularly male ones = bad, mortals, particularly female ones = good. That is as about as nuinaced as all of this has been.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That is the narrative. It isn't a question of moving it along, that is the whole story, and it will continue to be so until Aaron finishes. It isn't even a question as such. This does seem to divide people that read Aaron.

The story is not the thing being withheld. When there was a mystery as to who Thor was that wasn't what the story was about, that was just a withheld piece of information. This isn't a story about whether Odinson will ever be worthy again (he will), or why he isn't worthy (we know why and always kind of did), or even how he will become worthy (we have enough clues to know the general gist of that). The story is what is going on along the way. The story is about examining Thor as an idea, a deity and a hero. The examination is the whole point. If you don't like that then it really is time to stop reading, because that is what Aaron does. That is his process. To carefully examine everything through analogy and tease out the nuances through context and comparisons. If you don't engage with that as an approach then you won't enjoy the book.

It is a bit like criticising Moore for deconstructing things, and wishing he would just be done with it so we could get to the story. For Moore and Aaron by different means, the deconstruction is the story. When that is over the story is finished.

spoilers:
    The narrator was Malekith. Both highly unreliable and biased.
    end of spoilers
    Thanks for such a considered response

The narrator does change things - I hadn't noticed that

I think your right about the story

think I need to give the book a break until there's some shift coz I can't recall the last issue I really liked

Since I like thor, Odin and jane so much I think I'll give it a breather to avoid my perspective getting too toxic

Appreciate your perspective and comments - always helpful

I don't even understand why people like Jane. All her positive character traits are copy and pasted from Thor's, even the ill and vulnerable mortal form. There is no originality. He took Thor's positive aspects and filled them with negative faults and transferred them to Jane. And all these new fans spring up and mention all these things they like about her and I'm just confused because I can point to a dozen other better written stories that have the real Thor behaving the same.

Smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    I don't even understand why people like Jane. All her positive character traits are copy and pasted from Thor's, even the ill and vulnerable mortal form. There is no originality. He took Thor's positive aspects and filled them with negative faults and transferred them to Jane. And all these new fans spring up and mention all these things they like about her and I'm just confused because I can point to a dozen other better written stories that have the real Thor behaving the same.

Smh.
    That exactly how I feel that most Jane positive character traits are just copy and pasted from Thor and I yet see exactly what makes Jane so worthy began with she just written be so like perfect mary sue while same time Aaron written Thor and Odin with nothing but negative faults just make Jane look good.

There is no nuisance, subtlety or examination here. Mentioning Moore and Aaron in the same breath is just confusing and silly.

And so this story finally completes the circle of Odins character assassination. Mangog's race was originally a blood thirsty and completely destructive people that tore through the Universe and Odin destroyed them for the sake of creation.

And here it implies that maybe Odin just destroyed them for speaking out of turn, who knows, because Odin is such a terrible bastard....Smh. Garbage. Gods, particularly male ones = bad, mortals, particularly female ones = good. That is as about as nuinaced as all of this has been.
    just wait when they reveal that Odin wanted to enslave all mortals in the Universe.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Why so much salt in this thread about Jane? Do people really think Thor Odinson will forever be Unworthy? I mean Ragnarok totally uppended that part of his mythos for the better in my opinion, he truly is a God and no one can take that away from him. If Aaron goes down that route I would be totally happy with it. Thor isn't the God of Hammer's after all.

Furthermore, Jane's awesome because she's different and vulnerable in her mortal form and I trust Aaron writing a compelling end to Jane's dilemma as to stay as The Mighty Thor or slowly succumb to cancer.

Let's applaud actual story and character development, I know you don't have to like it but an actual status quo change in comics is so rare.

Also Mangog is amazing.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, Odin has been abused for quite a while now. It just gets uglier and uglier.