Page 251 of 354 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261301351 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,765 of 5304

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Im just thinking it through

Odin's opposed and bested cosmic level powers, stalemate galactus as example

Since I've never seen Mangog approach that power level I'm thinking it's maybe that it has a sort of anti god powerset

Powerful to be sure against anyone but most effective vs gods

Punching above his weight so to speak

Otherwise I don't see why it's that big a deal coz it ain't no galactus level threat
    Yes he has indeed become an anti-god symbol, but in a way he always was. And if you take each major appearance canonically there is much to be interpreted and Odin is either being economical with the truth about what happened to Mangog’s race or he was hubristic to believe he was in control of the situation. Hubris is the biggest weakness of the powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by joelr View Post
    Mangogs power does fluxuate.
    The first time Mangog attacked Asgard he was a force of nature. He was smashing through everyone including Thor, he even walked right through Thors strongest tornado.
    But when Mangog arrived at the Twilight sword Odin woke up and defeated Mangog with a wave of his hand.
    Odin just un-did the spell that held a billion-billion (quintillion) beings in one entity.

Maybe Odin can no longer undo that spell. I think the 2nd time Mangog showed up that unbinding spell no longer worked.

But I doubt Odin could create a being who could defeat Thanos. Odin himself might not be able to defeat Thanos. I know they had an epic fight but Thanos wasn't trying to kill or hurt Odin, he just knew they had to fight to Odin's satisfaction so Odin would listen to reason and help Thor who was sick and being held in Thanos energy cube. So Thanos just played along until Odin was worn out. Thanos looked beat up but again, he wasn't trying to hurt Odin. They needed Odin to cure Thor who was becoming a problem with warriors madness plus power stone which equaled a serious problem.

Thanos fought with madness-Thor amped up with the power gem and at one point decided to stop fighting. He realized this Thor could not be beaten because of the gem and he needed Odin to fix this.

In the latest Thanos run it looks like Thanos beat everyone? All pantheons of gods, Galactus, even the Sentry?! who seems more powerful than Thanos. When Thanos gets his heart ripped out he dies. Sentry is not bothered by physical harm. I though I saw a Sentry in the previews to next issue.

Oh and where was the thunder from Thors lightning?? "What were you the god of?"
    I provided my own analysis of each appearance over in the Mighty Thor Appreciation thread, in the lead-up to Mangog’s appearance in this story. Although every appearance has been subtly different and has modified the core concept, the general movement has been an increase of power. He has gradually become a symbol, a foil for gods in general and Odin specifically.

His creation was a dark reflection of worship, instead of being a god wielding the power of worshippers, he was a vessel for the negative will of his own race. Then there is the fact that Odin’s version of events was called into question as soon as Mangog reappeared, because theoretically he should no longer exist after Odin reverses the spell, which begs the question why he is still around. Then there is the question of whether his race are alive or dead. The answer now seems to be that they are dead, but we don’t know what actually happened because they were alive after the first appearance, according to Odin.

In Mangog’s last showing he had become more, a physical manifestation of hatred for deities in general and Asgard in particular. He now seemed to be powered more abstractly which makes him hugely powerful.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-30-2018 at 02:15 AM.

But I doubt Odin could create a being who could defeat Thanos. Odin himself might not be able to defeat Thanos. I know they had an epic fight but Thanos wasn't trying to kill or hurt Odin, he just knew they had to fight to Odin's satisfaction so Odin would listen to reason and help Thor who was sick and being held in Thanos energy cube. So Thanos just played along until Odin was worn out. Thanos looked beat up but again, he wasn't trying to hurt Odin. They needed Odin to cure Thor who was becoming a problem with warriors madness plus power stone which equaled a serious problem.
    I can't buy that for a second. Thanos doesn't play fight. When he wants somebody to listen to him, he beats them senseless first. He tried that with Odin and Odin slapped him silly. If anything Odin looked like the one that wasn't even trying.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    2 more issues to go until the end iirc.

I wonder what will be the next arc.
    Jason mentioned Old King Thor.

BANNED

can't say I am much impressed by the mangog arc as it feels much like the god killer arc expect for the mystery part. I wonder how many god hating villains Jason Arron is going to pull out of his ass or the toybox before he is done. I wonder how many times the gods will cry out after being senselessly butchered in his stories by a uncaring universe and beg for help only for Arron to look down upon them from his throne and say No! you have to die in my stories for cheap shock and thrills.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Jason mentioned Old King Thor.
    Meh

Was hoping to see Odin x Phoenix stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Yes he has indeed become an anti-god symbol, but in a way he always was. And if you take each major appearance canonically there is much to be interpreted and Odin is either being economical with the truth about what happened to Mangog’s race or he was hubristic to believe he was in control of the situation. Hubris is the biggest weakness of the powerful.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking

It's not so much his raw power

more he's god krytonite as it were

It's the only way I can rationalise him slotting the destroyer like he did

Meh

Was hoping to see Odin x Phoenix stuff.
    Why wouldn't it potentially wind up back at Old King Thor?

Why wouldn't it potentially wind up back at Old King Thor?
    sorry, not interested in OG Thor anymore.

Well, the question wasn't really "Are they doing what you are personally interested in?". It was "Why wouldn't they pick up where they left off?"

Well, the question wasn't really "Are they doing what you are personally interested in?". It was "Why wouldn't they pick up where they left off?"
    oh they can but personally, I want Avengers 1,000,000 to be a separate comic.

oh they can but personally, I want Avengers 1,000,000 to be a separate comic.
    Sure. It probably warrants at least a mini, but that will probably need to be entirely separate from whatever will happen in the main title.

Astonishing Member

Whilst they can be nice now and again

I find stories of Thor in the future, or as his future self rather boring, which is generally true for me of most characters

I would skip any longer story about that

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Whilst they can be nice now and again

I find stories of Thor in the future, or as his future self rather boring, which is generally true for me of most characters

I would skip any longer story about that
    oh the stories can be cool.

I can't stand OG Thor anymore.

BANNED

To me it is better to have stories about the comicbook character Thor be in the present.