Page 310 of 354 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 5304

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Or Cullen Bun.
    I'd rather see Cullen Bunn on a Loki book then I would the main Thor book.
    Pak's work on Incredible Hercules was... well, incredible
    Admittedly, he did have Fred Van Lente as a co-writer on that one though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd rather see Cullen Bunn on a Loki book then I would the main Thor book.

Admittedly, he did have Fred Van Lente as a co-writer on that one though.
    Good, get them both

I am only familiar with Bunn's work from Fearless Defenders, but I thought he was great on it.

Were he available I would also like to see George Perez take on Thor's main title.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

@nnelg for many including me Tom Taylor is by far the best X-Writer and is one of the best writers in comics. His AN Wolverine run was phenomenal. He has a bright future.

But as you wilfully took my comment about Jurgens out of context and still want to score points against people that happen to write for Marvel and elevate Chuck Dixon we clearly read comics very differently.

Cullen on Thor would be cool. Cullen on Loki makes all the sense in the world to me. No reason he couldn't write both

Tom Taylor has been exceptional for the x-books, to throw my two cents in there

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    @nnelg for many including me Tom Taylor is by far the best X-Writer and is one of the best writers in comics. His AN Wolverine run was phenomenal. He has a bright future.

But as you wilfully took my comment about Jurgens out of context and still want to score points against people that happen to write for Marvel and elevate Chuck Dixon we clearly read comics very differently.
    Taylor's AN Wolverine is awful and so is X-men Red. Hopefully his bright future is writing characters that I don't like. How did I take your comment about Jurgens out of context? How am I trying to elavate Chuck Dixon? I listed him as an example of who I would prefer to read and one that is better than anyone else Marvel have employed now. He isn't the only former Marvel writer that is much better than the current staff.

with the sliding time line, when did Thor first "re-surface" in the 20th/21st century as Donald Blake? what was going on with Thor right before then?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    with the sliding time line, when did Thor first "re-surface" in the 20th/21st century as Donald Blake? what was going on with Thor right before then?
    Well firstly the sliding timescale is not an exact science and not really official anymore (if it ever was). Even the scale was ‘four or five years’ of comics equalling a year, which again is not exact and makes calculations very vague. There have also been a few recent hints that editors tend to think of the timeline much more compressed now.

The usual estimates tend to use 4 years and Thor would fit into the usual Y1 so that makes approximately 14-15 years ago ie 2003. That seems very long to me given the current editors. Even using 5 years is 11-12 years ago. All-in-all I try not to think about this.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-19-2018 at 01:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Well firstly the sliding timescale is not an exact science and not really official anymore (if it ever was). Even the scale was ‘four or five years’ of comics equalling a year, which again is not exact and makes calculations very vague. There have also been a few recent hints that editors tend to think of the timeline much more compressed now.

The usual estimates tend to use 4 years and Thor would fit into the usual Y1 so that makes approximately 14-15 years ago ie 2003. That seems very long to me given the current editors. Even using 5 years is 11-12 years ago. All-in-all I try not to think about this.
    The basic benchmark is most reliably established by the age of Franklin Richards.

Franklin is older than Valeria, and by all accounts looks to be around 9-11 years old. One may assume then that at present the flight of the Fantastic Four's spacecraft took place about 13-15 years ago, in relative time.

Thor would therefore have appeared maybe 12-14 years ago according to the MU's timescale.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The basic benchmark is most reliably established by the age of Franklin Richards.

Franklin is older than Valeria, and by all accounts looks to be around 9-11 years old. One may assume then that at present the flight of the Fantastic Four's spacecraft took place about 13-15 years ago, in relative time.

Thor would therefore have appeared maybe 12-14 years ago according to the MU's timescale.
    You realise that is the absolute worst benchmark because in canon he keeps himself younger?

Then there is the dilemma over Aaron's Doctor Strange having his accident around five years ago. There is elastic timescales and there is just anomalous! So where possible it may be that Marvel just want to pretend everything happened really recently and where not possible fudge it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-19-2018 at 04:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

You realise that is the absolute worst benchmark because in canon he keeps himself younger?

Then there is the dilemma over Aaron's Doctor Strange having his accident around five years ago. There is elastic timescales and there is just anomalous! So where possible it may be that Marvel just want to pretend everything happened really recently and where not possible fudge it.
    So Franklin is really Peter Pan. I did not know that.

So Franklin is really Peter Pan. I did not know that.
    Not quite that bad, but yes there is a 'don't grow up' element to him, partly encouraged by his parenting and his own fears, which I would love to see addressed and removed in the new series. But that's really drifting things away from Thor.

I always think of old continuity from the early (year one) days of Marvel as nebulously just over ten years ago. Which even in the sliding timescale seems about right. Brevoort once talked about how comics kind of telescope outwards when you are reading them and compress back in when we are not looking. So a story can seem to be told over a course of months but in the timeline it really don't.

In other words we will probably always remain with his statement being true that "“It’s been approximately 13 years since the Fantastic Four first debuted, in Marvel Time.” which he made back in 2014 but probably still holds true.

So when did Blake pick up that hammer? Probably that same year or the following one. So we have to pretend he wasn't written like a prudish guy that was born in the forties. We can assume he was less stigmatised by his leg, but perhaps had some unresolved phycological issues surrounding it in his personal life. Next we just need to establish firmly that even while in limbo in a cave he was genuinely sharing the experiences of the Thor/Blake facsimile and that a character in limbo can't really be killed and we can have him back! (Sorry old drum but I march to it anyway.)

Extraordinary Member

Not quite that bad, but yes there is a 'don't grow up' element to him, partly encouraged by his parenting and his own fears, which I would love to see addressed and removed in the new series. But that's really drifting things away from Thor.

I always think of old continuity from the early (year one) days of Marvel as nebulously just over ten years ago. Which even in the sliding timescale seems about right. Brevoort once talked about how comics kind of telescope outwards when you are reading them and compress back in when we are not looking. So a story can seem to be told over a course of months but in the timeline it really don't.

In other words we will probably always remain with his statement being true that "“It’s been approximately 13 years since the Fantastic Four first debuted, in Marvel Time.” which he made back in 2014 but probably still holds true.

So when did Blake pick up that hammer? Probably that same year or the following one. So we have to pretend he wasn't written like a prudish guy that was born in the forties. We can assume he was less stigmatised by his leg, but perhaps had some unresolved phycological issues surrounding it in his personal life. Next we just need to establish firmly that even while in limbo in a cave he was genuinely sharing the experiences of the Thor/Blake facsimile and that a character in limbo can't really be killed and we can have him back! (Sorry old drum but I march to it anyway.)
    I'll just point out that 13 years is pretty much what I said at the start LOL

BANNED

By now it's been 14 marvel years and 6 marvel months.

Blimey, it's a long time since I saw the Don featured in any Thor story, so maybe it doesn't matter any more.

Mind you..as you know I've been remiss in keeping in touch with the Lord of Thunder.

But, I have (as I said I would in your Jason Aaron) thread, got first couple of trades in Jason Aaron run..read first, and bit of second. Really enjoying them, so ordered a few more from local local library...thanks for that thread, might never have read them otherwise.

BANNED

Instead of Cullen Bunn writing a Loki or Thor series I'd rather he write an Amora & Lorelei limited series with cameo appearances of Loki and Thor.