Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Dr. Manhattan vs the Silver Surfer

Straight up! Who wins?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Straight up! Who wins?
    Outside of Manhattan's trans-temporal presience (which tends to hinder him as much as it helps, if not more so), Norrin has all of Doc's powers and them some, and Surfer's actual feats are like a million times better.

The Doc probably falls into deep depression when he realizes Norrin will absolutely destroy him, and he won't be able to do anything about it.

I wonder if they actually would fight at all to begin with (the team-up would be mind-melting though!), but if forced, yeah, Surfer wins if he's the aggressor for sure; I can maybe see a scenario where Doc wins if he catches the Surfer unaware and unleashes everything he's got.

Even then, Surfer could no-sell pretty much whatever DM threw at him.

Quote Originally Posted by TimCBrowne View Post
    I wonder if they actually would fight at all to begin with (the team-up would be mind-melting though!), but if forced, yeah, Surfer wins if he's the aggressor for sure; I can maybe see a scenario where Doc wins if he catches the Surfer unaware and unleashes everything he's got.
    If Manhattan and the Surfer ever did a two-man stage show, could you imagine the dialogue?

As for the fight, the Surfer can do everything Manhattan can do and do it faster and on a grander scale. This is one situation where not allowing Manhattan the inherent prep that should come from his precognition really doesn't make any difference.

Doc M's a frustrating character to use in rumbles, presentation wise he's very powerful, intangibility, transmutation, teleportation, ability to alter size, create doubles, rabidly regenerate even from being ripped to molecules, the problem is he's a shark amongst minnows so to speak which means he lacks the feats to really stack up against the characters he should be facing, particularly speed since he has nothing to really go by outside some somewhat vague statements he makes

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

According to Doc M himself, he couldn't stop all the nukes if a full scale nuclear war broke out. And Cosmic Awareness should let Surfer know that tachyons (IIRC) cancel out Doc's presience, and he shouldn't have any problem generating them.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    If Manhattan and the Surfer ever did a two-man stage show, could you imagine the dialogue?
    [Surfer] *looks down* Make that disappear, please.

[Manhattan] I can't.

[Surfer] You cannot? *shocked*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    According to Doc M himself, he couldn't stop all the nukes if a full scale nuclear war broke out.
    Wasn't that only Adrian's depiction?

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

LOL @Sharp - was thinking the same thing. All I can picture is Dr. M coming at him slowly with his member just "there" saying SAAAAAAFFFEEE, I WILL KEEP YOU SAAAFFEEEEE. Surfer is so disgusted he throws in the towel.(ie, Robot Chicken for those who don't get the reference)
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

BANNED

Wasn't Dr. Manhattan able to make multiple versions of himself to do multi-tasking, literally? They/he could attack from multiple fronts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patchmadripoor View Post
    Wasn't Dr. Manhattan able to make multiple versions of himself to do multi-tasking, literally? They/he could attack from multiple fronts.
    Surfer is still fast enough to blitz them all, or he'll just blitz Manhattan before he can create any duplicates.

Quote Originally Posted by Patchmadripoor View Post
    This just goes to, "Difficult and frustrating character to use in Rumbles".

I can't remember how many duplicates he made, how many were shown. Likewise, he makes a vague statement about watching something that moves at light speed but he never actually shows such speed.

At any rate, the Surfer is faster than light and displays similar abilities, not the precognition but most of them. The difference is Manhattan exists in a world of CBPHs and one guy slightly beyond that. The Surfer exists in a universe of Galactus, the Celestials, Reed Richards, Dr. Doom, etc., etc. Dr. Manhattan feels more powerful compared to his surroundings and competition but it's an illusion.

If we'd give Manhattan the feats from the non-canon Before Watchmen series, he'd actually stand a chance.