Page 285 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1852352752812822832842852862872882892953353857851285 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 20773
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrJed View Post
    What's the issue with Spiderverse? I was planned on reading the OHC after Superior SM OHC vol 3 - is that the right move?
    There's no issue. Some people were upset everything wasn't in chronological order, but it reads just fine the way it is.

Spectacular Member

I read the Champions Masterworks HC this week-end and I was really surprised that it was an easy enjoyable read (in comparison to titles published a little earlier and roughly the same time).

Now I am interested if the Champions were simply ahead of their time or if there are other books which have the same mood?

Another issue would be the Avengers at this time (here probably I have to ask Krisis again to comment ... thanks for your insight!): I also read the Coming of the Beast and it is my understanding that he stays on the team (and sometimes joins the X-Men (DPS)) somewhere around #200thing.

Which would you say are the storylines which are Mutant heavy during this period of the Avengers (and if there are some notable ones also which story lines come to mind later in the Avengers book)?

I read somewhere that "Nights of Wondagore" features a SW and QS origin story but the trade is oop it seems and somewhat pricey. Are there more stories I should try to get if I want to follow Beast's Avengers time more closely? What about the Epics such as Final Threat and Under Siege / Judgement Day for the later period?

Thank you in advance!

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    How is Stern Spiderman omnibus? Those covers look great and I have 2 or 3 of those comics. They were great reads back when.
    For me, Stern's Spidey is THE definitive Spider-Man run from my childhood. I read all of it up to that point, and Stern's run IMO wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel in regards to the character, it just kept the character evolving at what seemed like a perfect pace. I think he really captured the vibe that Romita Sr and Stan did with their run vs the sort of hollowness (IMO) that McFarland and those after him did, which ultimately made me stop reading the title until well after The Clone Saga.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    I read the Champions Masterworks HC this week-end and I was really surprised that it was an easy enjoyable read (in comparison to titles published a little earlier and roughly the same time).

Now I am interested if the Champions were simply ahead of their time or if there are other books which have the same mood?

Another issue would be the Avengers at this time (here probably I have to ask Krisis again to comment ... thanks for your insight!): I also read the Coming of the Beast and it is my understanding that he stays on the team (and sometimes joins the X-Men (DPS)) somewhere around #200thing.

Which would you say are the storylines which are Mutant heavy during this period of the Avengers (and if there are some notable ones also which story lines come to mind later in the Avengers book)?

I read somewhere that "Nights of Wondagore" features a SW and QS origin story but the trade is oop it seems and somewhat pricey. Are there more stories I should try to get if I want to follow Beast's Avengers time more closely? What about the Epics such as Final Threat and Under Siege / Judgement Day for the later period?

Thank you in advance!
    If you are intrigued by Nights of Wundagore, rather than paying too much for an OOP TPB, you might consider the recently released Marvel Universe by John Byrne omnibus. It includes AVENGERS (1963) #164-166 and #181-191, which encompasses all the issues from that trade and then some. Plus, you'd get a gorgeous oversize version of Byrne's five issues of The Champions and all the rest.

Amazing Member

Production quality of recent OHCs:

I received the Captain America White OHC and I am really disgusted about the thin paper stock of this book (it is printed in USA). The pages are really, really wavy. After I received my first copy I thought the problem was that the comic got a little bit wet, because the package was wet too.
    I checked the recently released Giant-Size Little Marvels: AVX (printed in China) and the pages are flat.
    So I sent the Cap book back and got a new copy. But as before the pages are extremely wavy. So the pages are that thin that they are wavy!!!
    I think that the paper stock of the comics printed in the US is too thin and the paper stock of the comics printed in China is not good but ok (e.g. Civil War OHC 2nd edition, Thor by Aaron OHC).

Here is a picture of Captain America White OHC:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jaepuck; 04-24-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    How is Stern Spiderman omnibus? Those covers look great and I have 2 or 3 of those comics. They were great reads back when.
    Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I have not read it, but generally in this thread it is the most positively received omni I can recall. The consensus seems to be that if you like Spidey of that era you'll like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Stern's run was my favorite Spidey run ever when I was younger. I have not read them in quite a while so I don't know how well they hold up though.
    The beginning starts out slow as Stern takes over Peter Parker, TSM. But once he his ASM, it's, well, amazing. Probably the best SM run of all time, right up there with JMS before Quesada started meddling in it. Stern wrote a very mature Peter Parker. He joked, but it wasn't the silly, stupid **** a lot of other writers do with him (ahem, Slott). He acted like a grown up and he absolutely kicked ass. The Juggernaut, Hyde, the Hobgoblin - all of it - was just great. There's also the very touching story about a boy who loved SM and got to meet him.

Like another poster said, he didn't need to reinvent the wheel, but he certainly too control of the ball and ran with it.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    There's no issue. Some people were upset everything wasn't in chronological order, but it reads just fine the way it is.
    No kidding. There's some serious whining about that.

Spectacular Member

Is the hardcover of Inhumans by Jenkins & Lee oversized? Amazon has a listing for a 2013 printing and 2015 printing and just wanna make sure I don't end up with a Premiere Hardcover.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    Is the hardcover of Inhumans by Jenkins & Lee oversized? Amazon has a listing for a 2013 printing and 2015 printing and just wanna make sure I don't end up with a Premiere Hardcover.
    Yes, it's oversized. I believe the 2015 printing is a second printing/new edition. AFAIK, there was no PHC.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    If you are intrigued by Nights of Wundagore, rather than paying too much for an OOP TPB, you might consider the recently released Marvel Universe by John Byrne omnibus. It includes AVENGERS (1963) #164-166 and #181-191, which encompasses all the issues from that trade and then some. Plus, you'd get a gorgeous oversize version of Byrne's five issues of The Champions and all the rest.
    Thank you! I totally forgot this one because I normally do not have an interest in these books. This sound quite intriguing and a good way to get the story line. Seems like a go to Omnibus for me.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Back in the 90s I read the Ditko Lee run and thought, "Wow, Spiderman was perfect right away." Then a friend lent me the Hobgoblin saga, the art was Ditko-seque and the story was a page turner. I haven't seen them since but I have the Vulture issue and it's a torn up copy I've always kept. I want to read the run now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaepuck View Post
    Production quality of recent OHCs:

I received the Captain America White OHC and I am really disgusted about the thin paper stock of this book (it is printed in USA). The pages are really, really wavy. After I received my first copy I thought the problem was that the comic got a little bit wet, because the package was wet too.
    I checked the recently released Giant-Size Little Marvels: AVX (printed in China) and the pages are flat.
    So I sent the Cap book back and got a new copy. But as before the pages are extremely wavy. So the pages are that thin that they are wavy!!!
    I think that the paper stock of the comics printed in the US is too thin and the paper stock of the comics printed in China is not good but ok (e.g. Civil War OHC 2nd edition, Thor by Aaron OHC).

Here is a picture of Captain America White OHC:
    Is the binding glued or sewn? Hard to tell from that pic. I ask because DC has recently switched to sewn bindings on all of their OHCs including the thin ones, which made me very happy. I know Marvel does it on their ~260+ page Marvel Now OHCs and I was curious whether they do the same on their thinner ones.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    Is the binding glued or sewn? Hard to tell from that pic. I ask because DC has recently switched to sewn bindings on all of their OHCs including the thin ones, which made me very happy. I know Marvel does it on their ~260+ page Marvel Now OHCs and I was curious whether they do the same on their thinner ones.
    It's glued. Is it really true that the ~260+ page Marvel Now OHCs are sewn? I think all of the OHCs (the bigger ones too) I own are glued with the exception of the Omnis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaepuck View Post
    It's glued. Is it really true that the ~260+ page Marvel Now OHCs are sewn? I think all of the OHCs (the bigger ones too) I own are glued with the exception of the Omnis.
    With the exception of event ohc's all of the marvel ohc's I own are sewn.

Quote Originally Posted by sho nuff View Post
    With the exception of event ohc's all of the marvel ohc's I own are sewn.
    You must own only Marvel OHCs from the last few years, because not long ago they were mostly glued.

Yeah, I don't have a ton and they are all pretty recent.