Page 942 of 988 FirstFirst ... 442842892932938939940941942943944945946952 ... LastLast
Results 14,116 to 14,130 of 14814

Just ordered ''Ultimate Comics Avengers by Mark Millar Omnibus'' and ''New X-Men Omnibus''
    Bad bad boy with a bad bad girl in a bad bad world.

Favorite Characters:
    1-Batman, 2- Wolverine 3-Nightwing, 4-Darkness, 5- Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Just ordered ''Ultimate Comics Avengers by Mark Millar Omnibus'' and ''New X-Men Omnibus''
    Nice! I own both of those books. New X-Men is one of my personal favorites.

Millar's Ultimate Avengers is not a particularly great series, but I have a soft spot for all things UU. I also picked it up for $25, which was a hard deal to pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    Nice! I own both of those books. New X-Men is one of my personal favorites.

Millar's Ultimate Avengers is not a particularly great series, but I have a soft spot for all things UU. I also picked it up for $25, which was a hard deal to pass on.
    I have a soft spot for all things Ultimate Universe as well. Too bad they didn't collect X-Men as Omnibuses :/ and Spider-Man Omnibus, vol. 2 didn't release :/ I would be all over both.
    Bad bad boy with a bad bad girl in a bad bad world.

Favorite Characters:
    1-Batman, 2- Wolverine 3-Nightwing, 4-Darkness, 5- Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I have a soft spot for all things Ultimate Universe as well. Too bad they didn't collect X-Men as Omnibuses :/ and Spider-Man Omnibus, vol. 2 didn't release :/ I would be all over both.
    Yeah, the UU was a major part of getting me into comics! It definitely has its ups and downs but there's so much to love. One of these days I'd like to re-read (most of) the whole UU from start to finish. I do like that it's self-contained enough that such a thing is possible within a reasonable timeframe.

I'm also fortunate enough to have the entirety of USM collected in oversized hardcover (including a sealed Miles Omni which I just scored yesterday for under cover price!), but more Omni's would definitely be nice! If the Vol. 1 USM Omni ever gets reprinted, I definitely plan on upgrading. I would also have liked if Hickman's Ultimates run was collected in oversized format. I have the two small hardcovers, but it's the one other run with those characters that nearly lives up to Millar and Hitch and it would have been great to have them in the same format.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Someone please convince me to buy volumes 3 and 4 of Avengers omnis.

I don't have 1 and 2 and don't know if those will get (or have had) reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post

If you can handle paperback the Epics may make a better alternative for The Avengers.

Who is the author?
    That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again.

Incredible Member

In my opinion I am fine mixing formats. If I wanted and collected Omnis, I would rather have epics for the first 2 Omni material and Omnibus' starting at 3 rather than getting all Epics just because I missed out on the first 2 omnis. I am reading Omni 4 at the moment and it is worth the oversized are for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Who is the author?
    Looks like mostly Roy Thomas and Steve Englehart.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    If you can handle paperback the Epics may make a better alternative for The Avengers.
    Why do you say that? I'm willing to go the Epic route, just wondering why.

Edit: I don't have many Epic Collections at all. Is it easy to collect chronological works? Seems like omnibus is so easy to collect volumes without missing any material. How do you go about deciding which Epics to collect?

Edit 2: Ok after some research I see they have volume numbers on the back of the Epics. But it doesn't say the volume # on descriptions for any website(?). I think I understand that Epic collection are mostly made for collecting a whole story in one book.
    Last edited by j0nnyboy; 04-28-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Epics are designed to collect the majority of an entire title. So for Avengers, I think we can expect to see epic collections cover issues 1 through 375 (at minimum) with no gaps. Furthermore, its not just the main run but any other comics that may be relevant as well (crossover issues, limited series, etc). Aside from the obvious thick hard cover vs thinner paperback, the primary differences between omnis and epics appear to be the release frequency and the release order. So avengers omnis are in the early 100s through 4 volumes, going in order. The epics started later I think but have covered more ground already (I think again). But they are not being released in order. Theyve released some from the 60s, some from the 70s, some from the 80s, and some from the 90s, but not all from any decade. But theyll get there eventually, likely sooner than later, at least compared to Omnis (I think).
    Tell me, are you an Avenger now? The brand is not what it once was - Mr. Sinister, Uncanny X-Men (2019) #19

I don't have volume 1 or 2 either, but I do have 3 and 4
    I got into focusing on just collected editions a few years ago.
    I quickly realized that (for me) it was just about building a personal library
    and the reading and that some times a omnibus works and other times
    a soft cover trade works and so I balance both.
    I am not worried about ever getting volume 1 and 2 of the Avengers omnibus (I will if they ever get reprinted)
    but I can wait. For me (and to more directly answer your question) I am a stickler for keeping everything
    of a run in the same format, so with Avengers Silver Age in Bronze it will be Omnibuses and something like
    Hickman's Fantastic Four it will be trade (because I just got volume One in 2018).

ARkadelphia, Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I don't have volume 1 or 2 either, but I do have 3 and 4
    I got into focusing on just collected editions a few years ago.
    I quickly realized that (for me) it was just about building a personal library
    and the reading and that some times a omnibus works and other times
    a soft cover trade works and so I balance both.
    I am not worried about ever getting volume 1 and 2 of the Avengers omnibus (I will if they ever get reprinted)
    but I can wait. For me (and to more directly answer your question) I am a stickler for keeping everything
    of a run in the same format, so with Avengers Silver Age in Bronze it will be Omnibuses and something like
    Hickman's Fantastic Four it will be trade (because I just got volume One in 2018).
    Yeah, I think I'll have to find a balance myself between collected editions, because I'm real deep into omnibus collections. I'll use various tpbs (Complete Collections, Epic Collections and regular old trades) to round out what I don't have. Might not be the most uniform looking way but oh well. And there's always an aftermarket with this stuff if I am eventually able to collect everything in one format.

ARkadelphia, Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, I think I'll have to find a balance myself between collected editions, because I'm real deep into omnibus collections. I'll use various tpbs (Complete Collections, Epic Collections and regular old trades) to round out what I don't have. Might not be the most uniform looking way but oh well. And there's always an aftermarket with this stuff if I am eventually able to collect everything in one format.
    Yeah, when older omnibuses go out of print, then you need to really work out what's the best for you. If you HAVE to have all omnibus, then so be it; my advice would be to be patient. There are deals to be had on ebay, local used bookstores, etc... if you're patient. For some books (i.e. Thor omnibus vol 1 as example), that guy's insanely priced, and no way I'm going to pay that money. So until they reprint, IF they reprint it, which they might not, then I go the EPIC collection route.

The issue with Epics is a few of them are going for big $ due to OOP on them as well. Avengers is not the case. You could get the 1st 4-5 Epics and have that run into Avengers Omnibus vol 3, and then get vols 3 + 4, which are still in print and at reasonable prices. And then cruise the internet and perhaps be able to nab vols 1 + 2 eventually for $60-80 each if you're lucky.

Again, if you HAVE to have everything in the same format, (all of us collectors have some form of OCD related to our books, so this is not a bad thing, LOL) I would say be patient and they'll come sooner or later. IMO, there are some books they're just not going to reprint. Books that a few of us clamor over but just aren't that popular - ala Thor vol 1, Iron Man 1 + 2, etc... and 3rd volumes, like for FF and SPidey that are really high priced, I doubt they'd randomly reprint a vol 3; they're more likely to reprint a vol 1 than a 3.

We all just have to realize that collecting omnibuses is a niche market of a niche market (of a niche market), and we've picked a great (but very frustrating!) hobby for ourselves.

As far as the material, When Roy Thomas took over halfway through OMnibus vol 2, I think that's when the Avengers really took off. Less "silly Silver Age" dialogue via Stan, a little more adult stories, better pacing, and most of all great art by John Buscema (my all-time favorite!). I just started reading vol 3 myself and it's great! While the "Kooky quartet" and other things are great from a historical perspective, those first 30-40 issues were a bit of a chore to get through. But this is all MY opinion, and your views may vary, obviously.

I always go for the Omnibus if possible, as oversized HC is my premium spot. But again, if it's just financially silly or unattainable, then the Epics are a good alternative.
    *Unless you want SIlver Age x-men, in which case you're hosed, as vol 1 of the EPic is insanely priced for a thick TPB. They really need to reprint that sucker, as the odds of them reprinting the v1 omnibus is slim-to-none, IMO.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post

The issue with Epics is a few of them are going for big $ due to OOP on them as well.
    Is there a list anywhere like the Omni list for OOP, and in-danger Epics?