Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    My favorite part of the old What If? series was going into a comic shop and looking at the covers. I’d often think “hey! That’s a pretty cool idea!” and that would be that. I bought a few, but I rarely felt the execution matched the concept. Some, sure, but not something I personally would be interested in a collected format.
    I haven't read all that many "What If" comics, but from those I have read I completely agree: great concept, but the execution is often rather lackluster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    I haven't read all that many "What If" comics, but from those I have read I completely agree: great concept, but the execution is often rather lackluster.
    The recurring theme is that there is rarely ever a happy ending. They are always kinda dark and end on downers. But still decent one-shots.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

I've never been a What If fan either

Incredible Member

Damn it Marvel!!! No one cares about Alien or Predator or Cloak & Dagger or What If omnis! Give us Aaron Thor and more X-men omnis!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Alien, Predator as well as Cloak&Dagger I'm down for even if my wallet is not.
    I already have C&D v1, you extrapolated too far good sir.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Damn it Marvel!!! No one cares about Alien or Predator or Cloak & Dagger or What If omnis! Give us Aaron Thor and more X-men omnis!
    I would love to see Thor Omnibus vol.4 as well as a new printing of Silver Age X-Men.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Alien, Predator as well as Cloak&Dagger I'm down for even if my wallet is not.
    I already have C&D v1, you extrapolated too far good sir.
    Really? What is the attraction with Alien and Predator omnis, for you? Just curious. Even if you're a fan of the movies, are the comics collected here known for being anything noteworthy?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I would love to see Thor Omnibus vol.4 as well as a new printing of Silver Age X-Men.
    Thor for me began with the Simonson run, then nothing till Jurgens, then JMS, then Aaron. Is there anything pre-Simonson that's decent?

This may have been answered, but why is the What If? volume 1 lacking issue 16?

Spectacular Member

I think I heard it mentioned in a Near Mint Condition video. Issue 16 features Shang Chi and Marvel no longer has the rights to that character. That's why they churned out the volumes of the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu omnibus a few years back before they lost the rights.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    This may have been answered, but why is the What If? volume 1 lacking issue 16?
    Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    I think I heard it mentioned in a Near Mint Condition video. Issue 16 features Shang Chiand Marvel no longer has the rights to that character. That's why they churned out the volumes of the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu omnibus a few years back before they lost the rights.
    You mean Fu Manchu and not Shang-Chi. Shang-Chi is a Marvel property.

Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 02-13-2021 at 01:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I'm another one who doesn't care for the What If series. Not only did they often end darkly as mentioned but the fact that they are not in continuity causes me to shy away from them.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Really? What is the attraction with Alien and Predator omnis, for you? Just curious. Even if you're a fan of the movies, are the comics collected here known for being anything noteworthy?
    I enjoy monster books. I enjoy sci-fi. I have both Monsterbus volumes from the 50s, that is "pulpy" style fun. I love my Man-Thing and Werewolf by Night Omnis as well.
    Noteworthy? If you mean lasting impact on the franchise then no but of note to me they are fun. I have the DH "Library-esque" volumes they put out and this would be a paper quality upgrade.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The new Omnibus in December 2021:

What If?: The Original Marvel Series Omnibus Vol. 2 (3 covers) - collects What If? (1977) #23-47
    I'm hoping they include the 1988 What If one shot. This one always gets forgotten. Really hope they don't orphan this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    You mean Fu Manchu and not Shang-Chi. Shang-Chi is a Marvel property.

FYI, This issue was included in Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu omnibus vol 3. Glad Marvel included it when they had the reprint license.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I enjoy monster books. I enjoy sci-fi. I have both Monsterbus volumes from the 50s, that is "pulpy" style fun. I love my Man-Thing and Werewolf by Night Omnis as well.
    Noteworthy? If you mean lasting impact on the franchise then no but of note to me they are fun. I have the DH "Library-esque" volumes they put out and this would be a paper quality upgrade.
    Right on. Hope you enjoy them!!