see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Yeah that's a weird one.

Previously I would have said that it was more FF-centric, and important to their story, but the way Slott recently brushed it under the rug made me think it was an X-office mandate. Fast forward and it's seemingly been abandoned on both sides, so who knows what happened behind the scenes... *shrug*
    True, but in recently in the Hellfire Gala there is a scene with the FF and the X-Men that seems to indicate it may still come to pass

Mighty Member

Since it's the topic of the moment: I have all 16 of the Dawn of X tpbs and am about to start reading through the whole thing from HOXPOX (re-read) through X of Swords - where is a good spot to read the X-Men/FF series? Any other related series worth reading in there?
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Since it's the topic of the moment: I have all 16 of the Dawn of X tpbs and am about to start reading through the whole thing from HOXPOX (re-read) through X of Swords - where is a good spot to read the X-Men/FF series? Any other related series worth reading in there?
    As far as I remember, Franklin doesn't appear in any of the other X-books, and his story is basically confined to the mini and subsequent issues of Fantastic Four. You could probably read the mini anytime between Dawn of X Vol. 1 and X of Swords and be fine...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    As far as I remember, Franklin doesn't appear in any of the other X-books, and his story is basically confined to the mini and subsequent issues of Fantastic Four. You could probably read the mini anytime between Dawn of X Vol. 1 and X of Swords and be fine...?
    I think I can manage that, thanks!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Basing it on Kitty's costume, I would say it probably fits in between volume 1 and volume 2; however, it is pretty self contained

Is anyone here going to buy the Spider-Gwen omni? Can you read it without any knowledge? And can you read it as a stand alone or do you need more with it?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Is anyone here going to buy the Spider-Gwen omni? Can you read it without any knowledge? And can you read it as a stand alone or do you need more with it?
    I've read all the material in it. She participates in Spider-verse after the first issue, which gets mentioned, but the main story is self-contained.

I've read all the material in it. She participates in Spider-verse after the first issue, which gets mentioned, but the main story is self-contained.
    Thanks. I'll read the first issues online. If I like it I'll go for the omnibus.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I was wondering does anybody know why X-Men & Fantastic Four by Zdarsky wasn't included in the Dawn of X tpbs?

It seems pretty integral to the overall story, but it is separate.
    Currently all the x-titles include Jonathan Hickman in the credits as Head of X, but X-Men/fantastic four didn't, so it was probably created apart from Hickman's plans.

It's also true that latest marauders (I think) references that miniseries, which makes it even more confusing. Anyway the miniseries was not very interesting in my opinion, which is sad because I really like Franklin as a character

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

When she first came out with the other Gwen_____ spoof/riff characters I figured she would go away. The joke over.
    However, here we are and Marvel has kept her and given this alt-u Gwen purpose in 616. Are these stories good or starts jokey and turns serious near the end? Serious meaning it becomes clear the writers are taking her and evolving her.
    OR
    Would it be ones opinion the characters trajectory was never spoof-ish and I misread this characters intentions from editorial from the start?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    When she first came out with the other Gwen_____ spoof/riff characters I figured she would go away. The joke over.
    However, here we are and Marvel has kept her and given this alt-u Gwen purpose in 616. Are these stories good or starts jokey and turns serious near the end? Serious meaning it becomes clear the writers are taking her and evolving her.
    OR
    Would it be ones opinion the characters trajectory was never spoof-ish and I misread this characters intentions from editorial from the start?
    Spider-Gwen is played straight and serious, like Miles Morales. It's not Gwenpool or Squirrel Girl, for example.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I personally didn't take to Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider. I found it a bit if a slog to get through and the art and word balloons were not my cup of tea. Saying that, I know there are some fans out there and I would say it caters more for teenagers but I guess some older readers may take to it. In some ways, it's another rendition of Ultimate Spider-Man but with Gwen in the starring role.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Spider-Gwen is played straight and serious, like Miles Morales. It's not Gwenpool or Squirrel Girl, for example.
    Thank goodness for that... while I can take Gwenpool in small doses, I actively avoid Squirrel Girl like the plague. Her character was great in New Avengers with her as Cage/Jones's babysitter but once her own title started... oof.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    So, you would advice to go for it?

Incredible Member

So, you would advice to go for it?
    Yes. It's a great, self contained AU story. Grabbing it for half off or whatever IST is gonna have it for would be money well spent. It's not gonna change your life, but it's solid storytelling.