Page 739 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2396396897297357367377387397407417427437497898391239 ... LastLast
Results 11,071 to 11,085 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by QComix View Post
    This. That's exactly how I set up my comics room.
    Another vote for half Billies. Line up a bunch against the wall and it gives you that WALL OF BOOKS look. Love them. Used to have an Expedit, but switched to Billies and love them way more.

Or just spend some actual money on something that takes up so much space in a room and buy a quality bookcase that looks good and won't sag.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Or just spend some actual money on something that takes up so much space in a room and buy a quality bookcase that looks good and won't sag.
    My half-width Billys have NOT sagged at all after almost 2 years. They look really good to me and are perfect when you're on a budget

Is the Avengers Standoff OHC any good? Talking about the story. I can get it for cheap but I've never been impressed by either Al Ewing or Gerry Duggan. I see that Waid and Spencer also contributed and they're usually pretty good.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Is the Avengers Standoff OHC any good? Talking about the story. I can get it for cheap but I've never been impressed by either Al Ewing or Gerry Duggan. I see that Waid and Spencer also contributed and they're usually pretty good.
    I really liked the story, and it has great setup for the Secret Empire OHC if you're planning to get it. Personally I tend to avoid those kind of OHCs that include issues from a whole bunch of series due to inevitable double-dipping. I already have the ANAD Avengers OHC and I will buy a Captain America by Nick Spencer Omnibus or Uncanny Avengers Omnibus without hesitation if they are ever announced, which would make a Standoff OHC pretty redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Namely, the half-width Billy. Inexpensive, too!

My half-width Billys have NOT sagged at all after almost 2 years. They look really good to me and are perfect when you're on a budget
    What he said! Mine are much older than that, by the way.

right...they haven't sagged because they're comically narrow, and look ridiculous for any halfway decent sized collection.

I think Standoff is a lot of fun. It's a small, neat crossover that works really well. However, I wouldn't vouch for the OHC. It contains tie-ins for pretty much every book contained. I haven't read them all, but the ones I read were fairly average. The core event is only comprised of five issues (Welcome to Pleasant Hill, Standoff: Alpha, Cap: Sam Wilson #7/8 and Standoff: Omega) and everything else is complimentary. All the tie-ins may bog down the book a little. That said, I did enjoy the main story a lot and looks like a nice book.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Namely, the half-width Billy. Inexpensive, too!

What he said! Mine are much older than that, by the way.
    Before we moved (and before kids) I had those Ikea shelves in my spare bedroom and I loved them. They went wall to wall and housed my entire HC & TPB collection. I put doors on some shelves, and left others open. I really wish I had the space in my current house to do this! It was pretty impressive to show off to friends. Looked like a mini comic book store.

IIRC I put them in around 2009-10 ... somewhere around there. Never had any problem with sagging shelves. I did have one that tried to pull away from the wall over time. No big deal I just re-anchored it to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    I think Standoff is a lot of fun. It's a small, neat crossover that works really well. However, I wouldn't vouch for the OHC. It contains tie-ins for pretty much every book contained. I haven't read them all, but the ones I read were fairly average. The core event is only comprised of five issues (Welcome to Pleasant Hill, Standoff: Alpha, Cap: Sam Wilson #7/8 and Standoff: Omega) and everything else is complimentary. All the tie-ins may bog down the book a little. That said, I did enjoy the main story a lot and looks like a nice book.
    Thanks. The OHC has those core issues in it, so I'll give it a shot. I had planned to eventually read Secret Empire but I was hoping first that Marvel would collect the Captain America run in a nice HC.

Thanks. The OHC has those core issues in it, so I'll give it a shot. I had planned to eventually read Secret Empire but I was hoping first that Marvel would collect the Captain America run in a nice HC.
    I was hoping for some OHCs too, but I think Marvel may go the omnibus route down the line similarly to how they collected Spencer's other title 'Superior Foes of Spider-Man'.

Incredible Member

I see there’s a new Exiles series coming out, I hope it performs well enough to give us an Omnibus or two of the original series.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhamJamie View Post
    I was hoping for some OHCs too, but I think Marvel may go the omnibus route down the line similarly to how they collected Spencer's other title 'Superior Foes of Spider-Man'.
    Sorry, that's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    I see there’s a new Exiles series coming out, I hope it performs well enough to give us an Omnibus or two of the original series.
    Man, that was such a great series, wasn't it?

Incredible Member

Sorry, that's what I meant.

Man, that was such a great series, wasn't it?
    I borrowed the first few trades of it from a friend of mine and I was instantly hooked on it. I really enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. I bought the first couple Ultimate Collections after that. If they did collect it, I think two Omnis would collect everything up to now?

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

TL;DR Verson: Basically, if you are into Marvel events and plan to get Secret Empire, also get Standoff.

Standoff doesn't really read like one big crossover event, even though there is an explicit order to the issues. A lot of the tie-in issues are inessential tagalongs to the mains story in the event issues and Captain America.

Having finally caught up to present, I'll say that Standoff > Civil War II > Secret Empire certainly has a lot of thematic stuff running throughout that pays off well, probably better than any string of events since the lead-up to War of Kings.

While the two Cap series nominally act as connective tissue, so little happens in the Steve Rogers series after the first issue until the final issue prior to Secret Empire that you gain very little from reading it as a prelude. Plus, the Red Skull action in Uncanny Avengers only tangentially makes sense as connected to what's happening with him in Steve Rogers.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!