Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Has anyone latched on to any information regarding the editing/restoration (if any) of the Captain Britain extended reprint Omnibus? I have the original 2 OHCs and Omnibus but I'm seriously thinking of preordering the extended reprint if Cory Sedlmeier will be editing/overseeing it. The original linework and colouring in some of the earlier issues from the 1970s which appeared in the OHCs were not of the best quality reproduction wise and if there is any improvement and colouring of the later b&w issues (not the Black Knight stories as they are best left b&w IMO), I'm inclined to purchase the "reprint". If I do, I'll still hold onto the originals due to the paper, cover and binding quality and ease of reading.

Has there been any horror related omnibus titles mentioned for release? I would like a Bronze age Ghost rider volume or maybe another collected Horror omnibus..
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Contents of the recently announced Omnibuses:

Thunderbolts Omnibus Vol. 2 (Feb 2022) - collects Thunderbolts (1997) #34-63 & Annual 2000, Avengers (1998) #31-34 & Annual 2000, Thunderbolts: Life Sentences (2001) #1, Thunderbolts: From The Marvel Vaults (2011) #1, Citizen V & The V-Battalion (2001) #1-3, Citizen V & The V-Battalion: The Everlasting (2002) #1-4.

New Warriors Omnibus Vol. 2 (Jan 2022) - collects New Warriors (1990) #27-53 & Annuals #3-4, Night Thrasher: Four Control (1992) #1-4, X-Force (1991) #32-33, Night Thrasher (1993) #1 (A-story only), 11-12, Nova (1994) #6-7, New Warriors Ashcan Edition (1994) #1; material from Marvel Comics Presents (1992) #122 & 159-163, Marvel Holiday Special (1991) #2.
    I was about to bite the bullet on v1 of these, but decided against it because I usually prefer the epic collections for price purposes and it’s more likely to get completed.. Announcing v2 of both of these just made me splurge on v1.... thanks... lol

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Contents of the recently announced Omnibuses:

Thunderbolts Omnibus Vol. 2 (Feb 2022) - collects Thunderbolts (1997) #34-63 & Annual 2000, Avengers (1998) #31-34 & Annual 2000, Thunderbolts: Life Sentences (2001) #1, Thunderbolts: From The Marvel Vaults (2011) #1, Citizen V & The V-Battalion (2001) #1-3, Citizen V & The V-Battalion: The Everlasting (2002) #1-4.

New Warriors Omnibus Vol. 2 (Jan 2022) - collects New Warriors (1990) #27-53 & Annuals #3-4, Night Thrasher: Four Control (1992) #1-4, X-Force (1991) #32-33, Night Thrasher (1993) #1 (A-story only), 11-12, Nova (1994) #6-7, New Warriors Ashcan Edition (1994) #1; material from Marvel Comics Presents (1992) #122 & 159-163, Marvel Holiday Special (1991) #2.
    I had seen Omar's announement about the two Feb '22 Dr.Strange Omnis but this is the first I'm seeing for these two. I clearly missed a video. When were these announced and are they also Feb '22?
    It appears Marvel has mapped a THREE volume set for the 90s New Warriors. Sure hope to see that volume 3 at some point even though the story quality dips I've been told. Due to college and other duties I stopped reading the title at issue #50 back in the day.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith - Is there any good way to collect this in hardcover? Let alone with non-garish colors??

This feels like one of Marvel's most neglected books. In my opinion, it's arguably the most seminal Wolverine story, only competing with Frank Miller's work.
    Marvel should be propping up this book like the classic it is and keeping it in print. This is the Wolverine story you hand to someone who wants to know how he came to be.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith - Is there any good way to collect this in hardcover? Let alone with non-garish colors??

This feels like one of Marvel's most neglected books. In my opinion, it's arguably the most seminal Wolverine story, only competing with Frank Miller's work.
    Marvel should be propping up this book like the classic it is and keeping it in print. This is the Wolverine story you hand to someone who wants to know how he came to be.
    Isn't that included in the first Wolverine Omnibus? Or is that an instance of garish colours?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Isn't that included in the first Wolverine Omnibus? Or is that an instance of garish colours?
    Thanks. I was going to mention that option, but I'm pretty sure it has the standard "re-coloring" which does not work well with the modern paper type. I'd call it garish.

I don't know if it's true or whether it's simply a sales tactic, but Cheap Comics are listing the new printing of Wolverine Epic vol. 1 as OOP already. Glad I've begun pre-ordering Epics...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    I don't know if it's true or whether it's simply a sales tactic, but Cheap Comics are listing the new printing of Wolverine Epic vol. 1 as OOP already. Glad I've begun pre-ordering Epics...
    At cheap comics, when it says OOP it means that he cannot get more copies and then the price goes up. Often you can still get it elsewhere.

Incredible Member

re: Wolverine epic v1... is this any good? They're probably not "important" issues as far as Logan's character is concerned. But are they fun to read on a lark, or just another Wolverine-on-a-Tuesday stories?
    I haven't read any pre-Hama Wolverine, and even Hama (for me) doesn't really get going until Kubert comes onboard.

re: Kirby Romance/War omnibus... first off, wayy too expensive for the number of pages. But more importantly, are these any good? I'm not expecting Ennis' Battlefields type war stories. But are these like most all books from the 50s/60s, i.e. super wordy, unsophisticated (by today's standards), very simple stories...?

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    re: Wolverine epic v1... is this any good? They're probably not "important" issues as far as Logan's character is concerned. But are they fun to read on a lark, or just another Wolverine-on-a-Tuesday stories?
    I haven't read any pre-Hama Wolverine, and even Hama (for me) doesn't really get going until Kubert comes onboard.
    You didn't like Hama/Silvestri? Man, that was great.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    You didn't like Hama/Silvestri? Man, that was great.
    Parts but not all. I remember a storyline with Spyral on a motorcycle..? And other "what's Logan's true origin" shenanigans. Isn't this when Albert and Bloodsport or whatever vampire character were introduced too?
    Last edited by newparisian; 05-04-2021 at 10:04 AM.

I was going to skip the Shadowland omnibus. But as a completist I'm now thinking about buying it, to have it with the other Daredevil omnibus. Is it worth it or not?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I was going to skip the Shadowland omnibus. But as a completist I'm now thinking about buying it, to have it with the other Daredevil omnibus. Is it worth it or not?
    Defining yourself as a Completist pretty much answers the question regardless of the varied opinions on the quality of Shadowland...don't you think?

That said I think Shadowland is fun.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    If you're a Daredevil fan/completist, then yes. This is what I replied to a fellow Daredevil collector who was considering picking up the Shadowland crossover trades:

They are a mixed bag, some pretty good, others to a lesser degree. I remember writing about them at one point but can't remember the exact specifics as it was sometime ago and I would have to check through them again. I do remember that some of the one shots are pretty key such as Bullseye and Ghost Rider as well as the Daughters of the Dragon 3 issues (these are all in the Street Heroes trade). Also IIRC The Blood on the Streets was very good. Being a Daredevil completist, I bought all the trades and read through everything as best as I could chronologically. All the crossovers are somehow linked to the main event. The Thunderbolts trade has four issues, but only the first two are Shadowland tie-ins. The Moon Knight trade has three issues and also an older Moon Knight issue where MK teams up with Daredevil not relevant to the event

Being a Daredevil and Omnibus collector, I later picked up the Omnibus. It's not deemed in general to be a very good event but it does have some fans, though not many. I found it pretty ok with some good and bad moments and there is some very good art. If you're not a big Daredevil fan and you don't have a running flow of spare cash, then you would do better spending money on something else. If you have a complete set of Daredevil Omnibuses bar this one, you may regret not picking it up when it later starts going for high prices, or has it already.