Page 519 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 194194695095155165175185195205215225235295696191019 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,785 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    You're darn right they're good! I am biased because these are the comics I grew up on, but Uncle Rog is an amazing writer and his Avengers run is one of the best runs on the book. Plus you get Buscema art which is amazing, too.

While there is some focus on the big guns (Cap mostly), Mr Stern really spreads it around. One of the best focuses on the Wasp ever, introduction of Capt Marvel (now called Photon), heavy usage of Black Knight (yay!!), Hercules is in there and written great, etc... Plus the villains are great, too. You get the Masters of Evil storyline which has darn near everyone in it - Zemo, Absorbing Man, Wrecking Crew, a new female Yellowiacket, etc....

Just go buy the hcs or the Epics now, or go read them if you already have them. You won't regret it. Just keep in mind these are 80's comics, so LOTS of dialogue, no 2 page spreads, and etc... so they take longer to get through but they're definitely worth it.
    Stern may have been Marvel's most consistent writer, sometimes he hits them out of the park, but he is always a good read. I cant think of any Stern runs that were not enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Like others mentioned the Beast got blue & furry during his Amazing Adventures series. See: X-Men Masterworks v. 7.

After they left the X-Men, Beast was in Avengers for a while then he and Iceman joined the Champions, then later the Defenders in the early/mid 1980s pre-X-Factor, yes.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    So Alpha Flight Omni does not say "volume 1", this concerns me in the same way other vol.1's haven't been followed up on.
    Dont know Alpha Flight after Byrne! Any good?
    If we're talking non-x-men mutant omniboo I'd rather have Excalibur Omnibus Volumes (up to Alan Davis and Warren Ellis), X-factor 90's & Peter David or New Mutants (i guess well have 1st volume of this one with the movie..)!

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Quick question about how Marvel does their collected editions: from what I've seen, in general, it seems the first collected edition is usually either a TPB or standard trim HC. Then later OHC, and then maybe released in an Omnibus format. Am I correct? Is it pretty likely that everything is collected in some OHC or omnibus format? Or does it just depend on sales?
    Since the beginning of Marvel Now collections in 2013, Marvel's current strategy is to initially release all titles to TPB with the following exceptions:
    - Their biggest titles (typically only those by Bendis or Aaron) first hit a standard-size HC, with a TPB released later
    - Events and multi-title direct crossovers almost always go directly to OHC, with a TPB released later

Marvel's top-selling titles tend to get recollected into OHC volumes almost always containing two TPBs. That has included (but is not limited to) All New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Daredevil, Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Star Wars titles, Thor, Uncanny X-Men. (Note that some of these titles hit hardcover, then TPB, and then OHC.)

Since the debut of Marvel Now collections in early 2013, a small fraction of Marvel's books which reach OHC are then collected into Omnibus format. The only exceptions to this have been books with three TPBs that leapt directly to a complete Omnibus that could have easily been called an OHC (Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Young Avengers).

Note that this pattern has not ALWAYS been the case. Marvel issued initial-release standard HCs for the vast majority of titles around 2010.

Questions?
    Last edited by krisis; 02-01-2017 at 07:06 AM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    Is Byrne's Alpha Flight good? I've read somewhere that it is considered one of Byrne's best work, but I could not even finish his F4 run - I attribute this to F4 rather than Byrne as I'm not into the team that much, outside of Hickman's run.
    My personal take on the Alpha Flight Omnibus is you should get it if you:

(a) like Byrne UXM and FF

*AS WELL AS*

(b) you enjoyed the Giant Size X-Men take on diversifying the team as well as the ensuing domestic inter-team drama

*BUT ALSO*

(c) are willing to enjoy relatively low-stakes adventures compared to X-Men

It's pretty much Avengers Canada by John Byrne. So, if that sounds wildly entertaining to you, go for it
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    First, the idea that Alpha Flight would ever merit a second omnibus is pretty hilarious.

Second, I think it's better to leave off the Vol. 1 and still maybe come back with a second volume eventually than to hopelessly strange Volume Ones on your bookshelf forever never to meet their mates.
    I'm pretty sure it will all come down to sales. If the Byrne volume sells well enough, we'll see the next volume to follow with Mantlo.

There have been enough off the wall releases that I wouldn't rule anything out.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    So Alpha Flight Omni does not say "volume 1", this concerns me in the same way other vol.1's haven't been followed up on.
    First, the idea that Alpha Flight would ever merit a second omnibus is pretty hilarious.

Second, I think it's better to leave off the Vol. 1 and still maybe come back with a second volume eventually than to hopelessly strand Volume Ones on your bookshelf forever never to meet their mates.
    Bill Mantlo writes the next 38 issues. Mr. Mantlo's Hulk run has some prestige to it, he's not a crappy writer. Fist issue he takes over of Alpha Flight, guest stars the Hulk.
    His run would get the title up through issue 66, plus any crossovers they might put in, would give a 40 issue vol.2 Omni.

Krisis I can agree with your second comment but find your first one an unnecessary response.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Don't know Alpha Flight after Byrne! Any good?
    I never read past issue #50 and that was back in the day. I have fond memories of the title anyway, like many I'd buy. A few years ago I did find the whole 130 issue run at a dealer booth for .50 an issue and got them with the intent to read it all. Just haven't yet.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I'm on the fence for the Alpha Flight Omnibus. I was leaning towards not getting it, but it's tempting with 50% off release week discount. I bought the first couple of Classic TPBs several years back and just couldn't get into the characters very much. I was looking forward to it; I really enjoy at-his-peak-1980s Byrne (X-Men, FF, Superman, West Coast Avengers, She-Hulk, etc) but for whatever reason Alpha Flight just didn't interest me all that much. To me, it just seemed ... kinda boring.

Still, that being said, I'm kind of on the fence about it just for completeness sake. I mean, the Omnibus is a pretty good deal. You get all their early appearances up thru about 1985 (including guest appearances in Hulk, etc) for $50 bucks on release week, which is a steal.

Spectacular Member

I'm on the fence for the Alpha Flight Omnibus. I was leaning towards not getting it, but it's tempting with 50% off release week discount. I bought the first couple of Classic TPBs several years back and just couldn't get into the characters very much. I was looking forward to it; I really enjoy at-his-peak-1980s Byrne (X-Men, FF, Superman, West Coast Avengers, She-Hulk, etc) but for whatever reason Alpha Flight just didn't interest me all that much. To me, it just seemed ... kinda boring.

Still, that being said, I'm kind of on the fence about it just for completeness sake. I mean, the Omnibus is a pretty good deal. You get all their early appearances up thru about 1985 (including guest appearances in Hulk, etc) for $50 bucks on release week, which is a steal.
    I think you've captured exactly why the price point on this collection is $100 rather than $125. Alpha Flight isn't X-related enough to justify the X-book tax, and it's among the more obscure of Byrne's 1980s Marvel work. The page count for this price point is a rare value for Marvel omnis these days!

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Bill Mantlo writes the next 38 issues. Mr. Mantlo's Hulk run has some prestige to it, he's not a crappy writer. Fist issue he takes over of Alpha Flight, guest stars the Hulk.
    His run would get the title up through issue 66, plus any crossovers they might put in, would give a 40 issue vol.2 Omni.

Krisis I can agree with your second comment but find your first one an unnecessary response.

I never read past issue #50 and that was back in the day. I have fond memories of the title anyway, like many I'd buy. A few years ago I did find the whole 130 issue run at a dealer booth for .50 an issue and got them with the intent to read it all. Just haven't yet.
    It's not like I'm saying the title is awful.

I'm purely basing the comment on the fact that we also have 90s books like X-Force and New Warriors marooned at one volume, as well as modern omnibuses like New Avengers and Wolverine by Aaron.

Three of those series have been through multiple formats, including ones that have extended past their omnibuses. I think we could fairly describe all of them as having relatively high fan interest in certain quarters.

By contrast, Marvel has never comprehensively reprinted the subsequent post-Byrne Alpha Flight issues, it's a niche title with no popular spinoffs or modern revivals, and to the best of my recollection Mantlo has never merited an omnibus outside of his early Rocket work in Guardians Solo. That it's been reprinted AT ALL is likely highly correlated to Byrne, who appears to be one of Marvel's sure sellers of back catalog runs.

And, finally, for the niche-y things Marvel has recently decided to comprehensively reprint (Kung Fu, Monsters), they're suddenly in the habit of proactively announcing that to drum up press and interest. They have not done so with this Omnibus.

By all of those criteria, a second Alpha Flight omnibus would be relatively unlikely. Does Marvel do unlikely things? ALL THE DAMN TIME. Would I love a four-volume set of Alpha Flight omnibuses: YES HOLY CLAREMONT I WOULD. I have EVERY issue of the title.

Honestly, I'd like all omnibuses of everything even tangentially related to X-men. But, I've long since given up on the that goal and would really just prefer Marvel to get aggressive with the Epics, with which they could knock out all of Alpha Flight in 7ish volumes.
    Last edited by krisis; 02-01-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Seems to me that Marvel is trying to either (a) generate some goodwill to their old pals Byrne & Claremont or (b) throw some royalties their way lately with some of the books they're publishing.

In the last year we've gotten or seen solicits for Marvel Universe by Byrne Omnibus, Avengers by Byrne Omnibus, Alpha Flight Omnibus, She Hulk: The Return TPB by Byrne reprints of their classic UXM run in either TPB or Omnibus, and the upcoming Marvel Universe by Claremont Omnibus.

I've watched some of the Claremont interviews online where he mentions that he has a Marvel exclusive contract, they're keeping him happy but they aren't letting him write anything nowadays. So I wonder if Marvel publishing books prominently featuring these two classic creators is some way to keep them happy while make some cash at the same time.

I've watched some of the Claremont interviews online where he mentions that he has a Marvel exclusive contract, they're keeping him happy but they aren't letting him write anything nowadays. So I wonder if Marvel publishing books prominently featuring these two classic creators is some way to keep them happy while make some cash at the same time.
    This is a good thing.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Has anyone read the Dan Jurgens/JRjr Thor trades? The ones with the late 90s/early 00s material.

I've just realized it's the only reprinted Thor I don't own (literally), so that's making me curious about picking them up. But then I saw the prices Marvel slapped on them and I got sticker shock. Really wasn't expecting that for thin, older TPBs released in, like, 2010. Anyway, it's more than I want to spend to blind buy it all, so . . .

Thoughts?

Amazing Member

I know a few people on here have sold off their collections and I am looking for some advice. I have been going the amazon and ebay route, but its kind of tiresome making all the listings and the fees really eat up a lot of the sale price. Has anyone found a good alternative? I have tons that I'm looking to get rid of and its become quite the task.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I know a few people on here have sold off their collections and I am looking for some advice. I have been going the amazon and ebay route, but its kind of tiresome making all the listings and the fees really eat up a lot of the sale price. Has anyone found a good alternative? I have tons that I'm looking to get rid of and its become quite the task.
    There is a group on Facebook you can try, But i don't know what it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    Depends on what your collection looks like. I usually only put OOP books & full collections on eBay. The rest I donate to my local library.

Obviously you aren't going to get as much of a return as you probably want, but you hit the nail on the head. It takes time and effort to list items online to sell. And with fees, shipping costs, buying boxes & bubble wrap, it adds up fast.