Page 962 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 46286291295295895996096196296396496596697210121062 ... LastLast
Results 14,416 to 14,430 of 20754

Miller took Daredevil from B-list too A-list
    And was good enough for D C to allow him
    To up date there Super A-list Batman into
    Super God list

Mighty Member

I'd say Miller first, then move on to Bendis if you like that. I mean, it's Frank Miller probably at his peak (take that how you want; you are not required to like Frank Miller's work) with more or less carte blanche to do what he wants with DD.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    To: Everyone who would like to weigh in

Is the Bendis DD the absolutely essential DD, or is Miller? As someone who hasn;t read a lot of Daredevil I'd like to know what the most important / best DD material is.
    I think Miller done a lot of great work but I've read Bendis and Brubaker's runs first and some parts of the Miller run was just a bit silly to me after those. I wasn't too keen on the art either. I guess you need the historical context to really appreciate it (not that I haven't read plenty of material from that era).
    Still, so many people (new and old readers) love it I wouldn't not recommend it.

To me tho, Bendis is the essential DD. Love that series (also the follow up from Brubaker).

You can just start Bendis' without reading Miller's but I wouldn't recommend getting into Brubaker without the Bendis run.
    Still, you can't really go wrong with either of them.

Edit: keep forgetting about Born Again and Man without Fear. Those are in the Miller companion omnibus and IMHO they are superior stories to his main run. The Elektra part and his origin is very rushed in the main run and MAn without fear does a much better job flashing that out (it's been a few years since I've read them though).

I would consider both essential Daredevil.

I consider Miller to be the foundation to what modern Daredevil has become, while Bendis gave us the quintessential modern run.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    To: Everyone who would like to weigh in

Is the Bendis DD the absolutely essential DD, or is Miller? As someone who hasn;t read a lot of Daredevil I'd like to know what the most important / best DD material is.
    IMHO, hands down, Miller's is the far superior one. Yes, it can be slightly dated in certain parts but the artwork, the flow of the panels from page to page and the concepts were revolutionary at the time but also stand the test of time today. His second run with the Born Again storyline is often deemed the best Marvel story ever and/or in the top three.

His initial run is actually my favourite. He created so much in that initial run - Elektra, Stick, the Hand..... Frank Miller drawing with Klaus Janson on inks was the perfect combinstion. David Mazzucchelli on art duties in his second run was also pretty sublime. John Romita JR and Al Williamson illustrating and inking also do a pretty fine job on Man Without Fear. Personally, I reckon it's JRJR'S best work.

Bendis's run is very good with some great ideas. Some say, it's Miller's run mark 2. Bendis has a lot of fans and I can understand why.

I would highly recommend you first read Frank Miller's Daredevil work and following that Bendis and Brubaker. If you can read Kevin Smith’s run between Miller and Bendis, that would be great.

They are both essential.

Ps. I have read every single Daredevil issue from issue #1 (1964) up till Zdarsky’s run and Miller's has remained favourite.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Agree with Raffi. I am not a huge fan of anything Miller has done after the 80s, but he was doing awesome work in that decade. Classic stuff, hands down.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I'm old so I think the Miller stuff is the quintessential Daredevil. (By the way, massive props to Raffi for reading every single comic about a character. I don't think there is a single long time character where I have read every single issue.) The Miller stuff is beyond good. That one issue where he is holding a revolver to Bulleye's head and discussing their relationship is classic. (I wonder if the Dark Knight film makers were channeling it when the Joker meets Two Face in the hospital?) The thing with Frank Miller is, he is one of the best artists to ever touch a super hero book. John Byrne, Walt Simonson, George Perez, Miller is on their level with a pencil. AND he is also one of the best writers ever.

Miller's Daredevil helped change the industry to what it is now. Unlike Gaiman and Alan Moore, Miller revolutionized super hero comics using mainstream characters and, mainstream continuity is most cases. Over the last 30 20 years, every time someone thinks about adapting Daredevil , I guarantee, reference point one is the origin issue, and the rest is the great Frank Miller stuff.

I collected the Bendis issues in floppies and they were really good. The art is moody and full of shadows, Echo is a great villain, and the whole mood of the book is terrific. His dialogue really worked on that book. It didn't feel so self conscious. I eventually stopped buying the single issues because Bendis' run seemed like it would never end and I had to worry about finances. I am tempted to buy the omnibus. But yeah, get the Miller stuff. Everyone else, Brubaker to Bendis are trying to reach that level. Miller was trying to do something no one had ever done before and those other guys are just trying to keep pace.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Thanks everybody for the DD input!

Yeah lots of great feedback here. I love the Miller run also but that's all the DD I've read (the two omnis). I'm hoping they release the Epics of the issues that follow his initial run so I can pick up from there.

But I'll be picking up the Bendis re-releases next year too.

Astonishing Member

I am collecting the Immortal Hulk comic book in TPB´s and single issues.
    And i am looking forward to the Hulk Omnibus by Peter David and happy for this book,but i think it would be way cool to have all the Bill Mantlo stories and Al Milgron stories in Incredible Hulk collected as well.There are three Bill Mantlo Tpb´s but thats scarce to Mantlo´s run and Al Milgron run not being collected ìs quite disapointing.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Three Omnibuses come to mind: Spider-Man by Roger Stern, Spider-Man's Tangled Web and Daredevil: Shadowland.
    Damn, you’re good!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I'm old so I think the Miller stuff is the quintessential Daredevil. (By the way, massive props to Raffi for reading every single comic about a character. I don't think there is a single long time character where I have read every single issue.) The Miller stuff is beyond good. That one issue where he is holding a revolver to Bulleye's head and discussing their relationship is classic. (I wonder if the Dark Knight film makers were channeling it when the Joker meets Two Face in the hospital?) The thing with Frank Miller is, he is one of the best artists to ever touch a super hero book. John Byrne, Walt Simonson, George Perez, Miller is on their level with a pencil. AND he is also one of the best writers ever.

Miller's Daredevil helped change the industry to what it is now. Unlike Gaiman and Alan Moore, Miller revolutionized super hero comics using mainstream characters and, mainstream continuity is most cases. Over the last 30 20 years, every time someone thinks about adapting Daredevil , I guarantee, reference point one is the origin issue, and the rest is the great Frank Miller stuff.

I collected the Bendis issues in floppies and they were really good. The art is moody and full of shadows, Echo is a great villain, and the whole mood of the book is terrific. His dialogue really worked on that book. It didn't feel so self conscious. I eventually stopped buying the single issues because Bendis' run seemed like it would never end and I had to worry about finances. I am tempted to buy the omnibus. But yeah, get the Miller stuff. Everyone else, Brubaker to Bendis are trying to reach that level. Miller was trying to do something no one had ever done before and those other guys are just trying to keep pace.
    Moreorless agree with everything you said. Great points regarding Miller. Just one question, who are you referring to when you mention Echo? She was kind of the villain in Kevin Smith’s run of Daredevil untill Matt put her right but not during Bendis's run.

Btw, if you are able, definitely pick up the Omnibuses. The oversized treatment is the way to go read for optimal reading satisfaction.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Moreorless agree with everything you said. Great points regarding Miller. Just one question, who are you referring to when you mention Echo? She was kind of the villain in Kevin Smith’s run of Daredevil untill Matt put her right but not during Bendis's run.

Btw, if you are able, definitely pick up the Omnibuses. The oversized treatment is the way to go read for optimal reading satisfaction.
    Oof! My bad! I actually forgot that I picked up the Marvel Nights Run through most of the Bendis run in single issues. That's probably why the Bendis run looks so massive to me in retrospect, I lumped the Smith run on down to Bendis. I had to look on line but Echo showed up during the David Mack part of the run which to my memory, was much more to my liking than the Kevin Smith run. I think the Bendis run is probably most memorable for the big return of the kingpin and the issues with Matt's identity. I would love the Omnibus, the art was Maleev and I bet it's the only way to go. I go back and forth when it comes to replacing my single issues with an Omnibus. I would probably get the Brubker run in Omnibus first just because I know nothing about it and I am just a few issues shy (maybe 15 short) of completing the Bendis run.

Here I was content with my Daredevil Omnibus V.1 and the 2 Miller Omnibus books and now you guys have talked me into buying the Bendis books. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Here I was content with my Daredevil Omnibus V.1 and the 2 Miller Omnibus books and now you guys have talked me into buying the Bendis books. Thanks!
    Get the Brubaker omnis as well while you're at it . It's a direct continuation of Bendis and just as good, if not even better. I really wish they would announce a silver age v2 soon.