Page 193 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 931431831891901911921931941951961972032432936931193 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    The Complete Claremont X-Men

But, seriously, the one that sticks out to me is a Marvel Cosmic Saga box set, which could finally make coherent all of the stories that lead up to War of Kings and get them into one place.
    Agreed. All the OHCs that already exist, plus Secret Invasion: Inhumans, Road to War Of Kings, and all the contents of the Abnett/Lanning Guardians Of The Galaxy omnibus. That would be a hell of a set.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Can't win em all. Enjoy that Thor book, Aaron's Thor deserves all the praise it gets IMO. Volume 1 is good except for 2 panels (yes that specific), but I really liked what he does in Volume 2.
    I've been breaking my brain over what panels you mean. Pics?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

The Complete Claremont X-Men

But, seriously, the one that sticks out to me is a Marvel Cosmic Saga box set, which could finally make coherent all of the stories that lead up to War of Kings and get them into one place.
    A Marvel Cosmic box set would be awesome! I like that we have 3 Omnibuses worth of material to cover most of the recent material, but getting it all in one place would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    why do I have the feeling it's about the space sharks? people seem to hate them for same reason. Can't understand why. It's sharks...IN SPACE!!!!

Spectacular Member MatchstickJohnny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I think all of the stories in the New Avengers omnibus are really good. There's no giant space stories or cities being destroyed it has great characterisation and plenty of action. It's also a gathering of the art talent that made up that period. From about 2001 until 2010 Marvel had a lot of great stuff going on, it should be remembered as a high point of the company in a few years, and nearly every artist involved is in the omnibus.
    Bendis' New Avengers was good.
    Last edited by MatchstickJohnny; 03-23-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Assuming you mean OSH to be OHC, the answer is 2-3 OHCs per Omnibus, and sometimes there is extra material in the Omnibus not represented in the OHCs.

There aren't a ton of series which graduate from OHC to Omni, but Bendis has the magic touch so he's our primary example - the New Avengers Omnibus is 3 OHCs plus some extra material, and Bendis Daredevil Omnis were 2.5 OHCs each.

That means an Omnibus tends to be 4-6 original collections, whether that first collection was a Premiere Hardcover or a TPB. For example, the Hickman Fantastic Four Omnis were 6 and 5 original collections, respectively, while Uncanny X-Force was 7!

Really, it comes down to page counts more than issue counts, and we've seen Marvel Omnibuses top out around 1300 pages. With modern issue lengths at ~20 pages and a cover, they could potentially fit 60 issues! In reality, high 40s have been the limit we've seen so far.

(I suppose this means I should update the Omnibus guide, eh? The formatting is just SUCH a pain. I really need to turn it into a database.)
    HA! OSH ! I am a dope.
    Last edited by MatchstickJohnny; 03-23-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest.
    I passed on these when they were published in comic format. I will read them someday.
    Last edited by MatchstickJohnny; 03-23-2016 at 01:10 PM.

The problem I see with a cosmic marvel box set is that there are still more stories to tell in the cosmos, It's not like they're done making them. Your box set might quickly become "incomplete" as the shape of cosmic marvel changes, which isn't going to happen with a neatly wrapped up event like civil war or battle worlds.

Also, "cosmic marvel" is more of an informal idea than a brand, so it might be hard for marvel to market such a product
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 03-06-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    The shark, and the whole weird baby crying monologue bit.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    why do I have the feeling it's about the space sharks? people seem to hate them for same reason. Can't understand why. It's sharks...IN SPACE!!!!
    I was mostly ok with them until they were used in the way they wound up being used.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Spectacular Member

Omnibuses are beautiful and were the inspiration for the original iteration of this thread, but they are also massive and don't travel well. Plus, in recent years their build quality has slightly declined - they're still awesome, but that cooled some folks' opinions on them. They are the perfect book for a bookshelf collector who has time to sit and read at length at home (and who can find a comfortable position to read them in! )
    +1
    I bought less and less because of the quality. And lately Marvel outpriced itself. Over 100 Euros is far from beeing a bargain. 3 years ago it was 60 euros. Meaning: I could have bought almost 2 Omnis back then. And that with thicker paper and faux leather HC. Noawayds, cheap thin paper, increased prices, low quality doesn't crie out "buy me".

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    The problem I see with a cosmic marvel box set is that there are still more stories to tell in the cosmos, It's not like they're done making them. Your box set might quickly become "incomplete" as the shape of cosmic marvel changes, which isn't going to happen with a neatly wrapped up event like civil war or battle worlds.

Also, "cosmic marvel" is more of an informal idea than a brand, so it might be hard for marvel to market such a product
    For a Cosmic box, I specifically meant the road to and from War of Kings. This is plausible for the future, since it's super Inhuman-centric and MCU is headed there too. It references results of the Annihilation stuff but the Annihilators/Thanos thread is untouched until it's all over. It could include:

Silent War & Secret Invasion: Inhumans
    Uncanny X-Men: Rise & Fall of the Shi’ar Empire
    X-Men: Emperor Vulcan & X-Men: Kingbreaker
    War of Kings
    War of Kings: Warriors
    WoK Tie-Ins including issues of GotG & Nova
    Realm of Kings PHC
    RoK Tie-Ins PHC

That ticks tons of boxes - it has X-Men, Inhumans, and Guardians, it's a massive and cohesive single story that emerges from multiple threads, and it collects something that hasn't been coherently collected before.

I could even see Kree/Skrull War or some other classic material as an additional Prologue.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

For a Cosmic box, I specifically meant the road to and from War of Kings. This is plausible for the future, since it's super Inhuman-centric and MCU is headed there too. It references results of the Annihilation stuff but the Annihilators/Thanos thread is untouched until it's all over. It could include:

War of Kings
    Realm of Kings PHC
    RoK Tie-Ins PHC

That ticks tons of boxes - it has X-Men, Inhumans, and Guardians, it's a massive and cohesive single story that emerges from multiple threads, and it collects something that hasn't been coherently collected before.

I could even see Kree/Skrull War or some other classic material as an additional Prologue.
    I'd buy this. Maybe with Deadly Genesis too? Or would that too too far removed from the Cosmic stage?
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Maybe we've figured this out and I've missed it - if so, I need a reminder.

Spider-Man by Todd McFarlane Omnibus collects SPIDER-MAN (1990) 1-14, 16; X-FORCE (1991) 4 SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL 1-6

What is that Spider-Man/Deadpool book? McFarlane has never written or pencilled a book with Deadpool in the title. I can't even find any Spider-Man mini-series he was responsible for. Is this maybe just covers he's drawing for the new Spider-Man/Deadpool book? I'm confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    I'd buy this. Maybe with Deadly Genesis too? Or would that too too far removed from the Cosmic stage?
    I'd totally add it, but seeing as they just reprinted it in the 40th anniversary book AND it's mostly an X-Men story, I thought it could be left out.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

War of Kings
    Realm of Kings PHC
    RoK Tie-Ins PHC

All of this just sounds cool. I read the Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire about a year ago. Got the OHC for about $5 in a bargain bin. Total blind buy and blind read, but since Brubaker wrote it, I thought what the heck. That said, it was fantastic and I previously knew nothing about the storyline, etc.

So, where does all this fall in with the two Annihilation omnibus books that have been released? Are these after and if so, is there a "bridge" of stories to get to them?