Page 751 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2516517017417477487497507517527537547557618018511251 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,265 of 20773

Huh. I thought X-Treme X-Men was better received than Revolution. Also, minor nitpick but Joe Casey followed Claremont/Lobdell as writer and Austen then took over from Casey.

Here are the reviews of Claremont's return that I remember reading at the time of publication:

http://web.archive.org/web/200811131...en/reviews.htm
    (X-Men #100-109)

(Uncanny X-Men #381-389)

If that's too timeconsumimg here's an overview of the whole run:

http://web.archive.org/web/200811211...ews/2000a.html

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger77 View Post
    Huh. I thought X-Treme X-Men was better received than Revolution. Also, minor nitpick but Joe Casey followed Claremont/Lobdell as writer and Austen then took over from Casey.

Here are the reviews of Claremont's return that I remember reading at the time of publication:

(X-Men #100-109)

(Uncanny X-Men #381-389)

If that's too timeconsumimg here's an overview of the whole run:

http://web.archive.org/web/200811211...ews/2000a.html
    Thank you for the review links. This helps to put things in perspective but also states that the end of the run was not really good but far from being bad. As these issues are collected in trades already I read them some time ago and was wondering why some contributors penned the whole run because Max Security and Dream's End were readable enough and far from being the desasters that waited down the line after Casey.

It very well could be that X-Treme was better received but as I tried to read the first two trades and tracking down the missing ones in my collection during the last couple of weeks I can only voice my recent impressions here: these were probably together with some parts of Austens run and some bad mini series / crossover issues the X books I had the most trouble reading. The heavy exposition, the pretty nonsensical back and forth in storytelling plus the reviews I read about some of the next trades really make me doubt my collect all X books habit.

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    So could you give us some insides why the stories in the Revolution Volume are supposed to be so bad? I asked the question already two times here and noboy came up with something substantial. Given that it was followed by Austin PLUS the in my opinion worst work of Claremont in X-Treme X-Men I wonder how bad is it in perspective?
    They just don't go anywhere.
    There's a complete status quo change for Revolution and it's immediately changed again less than a year later when Morrison comes in.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by planetxmen View Post
    They just don't go anywhere.
    There's a complete status quo change for Revolution and it's immediately changed again less than a year later when Morrison comes in.
    None of which is Claremont's fault.

In typical Marvel fashion, the editorial is the books worst enemy...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

For digital buyers, Marvel collections are on sale again on Kindle.

Thank you for the review links. This helps to put things in perspective but also states that the end of the run was not really good but far from being bad. As these issues are collected in trades already I read them some time ago and was wondering why some contributors penned the whole run because Max Security and Dream's End were readable enough and far from being the desasters that waited down the line after Casey.

It very well could be that X-Treme was better received but as I tried to read the first two trades and tracking down the missing ones in my collection during the last couple of weeks I can only voice my recent impressions here: these were probably together with some parts of Austens run and some bad mini series / crossover issues the X books I had the most trouble reading. The heavy exposition, the pretty nonsensical back and forth in storytelling plus the reviews I read about some of the next trades really make me doubt my collect all X books habit.
    This has always been Claremont's style though. Personally I think that the quirks I found charming as a kid/teenager became annoying as I got older but also that Claremont became a worse writer after he was fired from X-Men the first time. In the early years he had both strong artists and editors to give him feedback and rein in his excesses; once he lost that he seemed to lose focus. His immediate non-X-Men work such as Aliens vs Predator, Sovereign 7 and WildCATS was very weak too and I finally gave up on him when I read the early Revolution issues.

Also, if you choose to be a X-Books completist you're inevitably going to end up reading some quite terrible comics. I don't think you'll miss much if you skip his post-1991 X-books; while he wrote a lot of them I can't think of any that had any impact on the rest of the line.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger77 View Post
    Garth Ennis: Given that Born was set during Frank's third tour of duty in Vietnam, I knew that I'd eventually want to go back and examine his first and second, just to give us a better impression of the road that took him to Firebase Valley Forge. In this one we'll see how he manages to impress a number of, shall we say, talent-spotters - who are constantly keeping an eye on things from behind the scenes. For what happens next, on his second tour - well, watch this space.

So while it hasn't been announced by Marvel yet Ennis definitely has plans for a second series.

https://www.newsarama.com/35420-fran...e-platoon.html
    Thanks a lot.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I read the Spidey Kraven Epic not so long ago. I was really looking forward to the Last Hunt issues, as it was my first time reading, but it turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax. It seems a wee bit forced and in no way IMHO is the best Spidey story out there as there are much better ones. It has a lot of fans and ranked extremely high on the CBR top stories. I read through the majority of it again the next day and appreciated it much better. A second reading does help but i did find the narration quite strange and quirky. I know I was expecting something quite special.

I think another factor for me was that it came out of left field very suddenly, although I'm not against having this type of story in Spider-Man. I'll most probably pick up the deluxe also for the extra stories and I'm curious as to this "new" Deluxe format.
    I hear ya. When it comes to things being touted as "the best" or being hyped up, I am let down 99% of the time. My expectations always get the best of me. So I can relate on that level, at least.

With "Kraven's Last Hunt", I enjoy the prose and the story beats, but what I truly admire about the story is the artwork. pencils, colord, panel layouts. The scene where Mary Jane first encounters Kraven wearing Peter's suit in rainy New York is rendered beautifully, for one. I've only ever read the story in the standard trim size, which is why I'm so excited to get this.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I hear ya. When it comes to things being touted as "the best" or being hyped up, I am let down 99% of the time. My expectations always get the best of me. So I can relate on that level, at least.

With "Kraven's Last Hunt", I enjoy the prose and the story beats, but what I truly admire about the story is the artwork. pencils, colord, panel layouts. The scene where Mary Jane first encounters Kraven wearing Peter's suit in rainy New York is rendered beautifully, for one. I've only ever read the story in the standard trim size, which is why I'm so excited to get this.
    I really liked Kravens last hunt when I read it recently. But some things have let me down. The Omega Men for example sort of bored me. Everything I heard about it made it seem amazing. I was not amazed. I may reread it sometime to give it another chance. Nothing is going to be loved by everyone. On the other hand, sometimes my high expectations are exceeded. Reading Preacher right now and loving it. I had high hopes as its ranked typically top 5 all time runs type of thing. It has met my expectations and more.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

So could you give us some insides why the stories in the Revolution Volume are supposed to be so bad? I asked the question already two times here and noboy came up with something substantial. Given that it was followed by Austin PLUS the in my opinion worst work of Claremont in X-Treme X-Men I wonder how bad is it in perspective?
    Never said they are bad. I’ve only read them once and they didn’t stick with me.
    But I am takling about general opinion and market value here.

Dark Phoenix, by most, is considered the best and definately a classic storyline for the X-Men. So of course it is considered better and MARVEL can charge more.

Spectacular Member

Hi guys,
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Marvel’s Stephen King omnibuses? I was looking at The Stand and Dark Tower collections

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Marvel’s Stephen King omnibuses? I was looking at The Stand and Dark Tower collections
    Just recently finished the Stand and enjoyed it quite a bit. Just beware this omni seems to have been produced with a poor batch of glue, as it had a reputation for separating at the spine. Mine, in fact, was completely separated upon opening (the block itself is still sewn together) but i bought mine heavily discounted and fully aware of the defect. This type of problem is easily remedied with some patience and a coat of new binding glue, but @ $150 msrp, i can understand the uproar

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Just recently finished the Stand and enjoyed it quite a bit. Just beware this omni seems to have been produced with a poor batch of glue, as it had a reputation for separating at the spine. Mine, in fact, was completely separated upon opening (the block itself is still sewn together) but i bought mine heavily discounted and fully aware of the defect. This type of problem is easily remedied with some patience and a coat of new binding glue, but @ $150 msrp, i can understand the uproar
    Thanks man, that's good to know!
    I haven't read any Stephen King in years, and never got around to reading Stand or Dark Tower. I know the Stand story from the old TV show, but DT is a blind buy for me.
    I will watch out for the spines if I get

It's time to get my rant on. I just received my copy of the Vision hardcover. I'm sure everybody that has it knows where this is going. It was brought up in another thread that it has a glued binding but wasn't too bad. I agree that for glued it's not bad, not too tight and stays open fairly well with little gutter loss. My real beef now is why that likely is. The absolute worst quality tissue thin paper they used. I've never had a problem with the thinner paper they have been using in the omnis and OHC's that I have, at all, but this is pathetic. If anybody remembers the terrible Premiere Hardcovers they put out a few years back with the Marvel Now books, this is that same paper quality. It's about the same as what is used in single issues. The book is certainly good enough that I recommend getting it anyway as I don't expect there will ever be a better edition, just handle and turn pages with caution. It's just so frustrating and disappointing that this is the build quality this book got.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    It's time to get my rant on. I just received my copy of the Vision hardcover. I'm sure everybody that has it knows where this is going. It was brought up in another thread that it has a glued binding but wasn't too bad. I agree that for glued it's not bad, not too tight and stays open fairly well with little gutter loss. My real beef now is why that likely is. The absolute worst quality tissue thin paper they used. I've never had a problem with the thinner paper they have been using in the omnis and OHC's that I have, at all, but this is pathetic. If anybody remembers the terrible Premiere Hardcovers they put out a few years back with the Marvel Now books, this is that same paper quality. It's about the same as what is used in single issues. The book is certainly good enough that I recommend getting it anyway as I don't expect there will ever be a better edition, just handle and turn pages with caution. It's just so frustrating and disappointing that this is the build quality this book got.
    That's unfortunate to hear. Maybe that's why it's retailed at such a "low" price of $40. Inhumans vs. X-Men OHC is $50 at almost 300 pages less. Civil War II and Secret Wars II OHCs also at $50 at around 200 pages less.

It has almost 500 pages, it could have made for a nice slim Omnibus. A nice sewn Omni at $50 would have been cool. Superior Foes Omni is a 100 pages less and retailed at $50.