Page 938 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 4388388889289349359369379389399409419429489881038 ... LastLast
Results 14,056 to 14,070 of 20716
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    Having not read the JMS run on Spidey, I just read that JRJR is the artist. damn

And for those that have read it, is JMS's run one of the best?

Seems like JMS is such a great writer but editorial decisions tarnish what could be masterpieces.
    JMS's run was not one of the best.
    I enjoyed some bits early in his run, Civil War and Back in Black, but Sins Past and the Other just tarnish his legacy on Spidey.
    Editorial mandate? Maybe. But he did write those stories.
    In the end most of this period was retconned or ignored when One More Day came around.

JMS’s run is my favourite Spidey run.

In general it’s seems the general consensus is that it’s good, with a couple of stinking stories in there.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    JMS's run was not one of the best.
    I enjoyed some bits early in his run, Civil War and Back in Black, but Sins Past and the Other just tarnish his legacy on Spidey.
    In the end most of this period was retconned or ignored when One More Day came around.
    I could never get into the Morlun stuff at the beginning of the run either.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avengers1986 View Post
    I could never get into the Morlun stuff at the beginning of the run either.
    The Morlun arc would go on to be pretty fundamental in the Spidey universe, in particular for Spider-Verse.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I think some 15yrs+ removed from Morlun's creation the argument could be successfully made that he and the tropes around him are the most important thing added to the Spider-man universe since Venom.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Anyone theorize on why the JMS ultimate vol 5 is so expensive?
    It just never got reprinted...

For what it’s worth, I really enjoyed the WHOLE of the JMS run, even the ‘controversial’ bit.

The thing is, you can’t hold modern day authors to things that happened 20-30 years ago...

And that’s the point, we can’t demand that everything that happens now is ‘consistent’ with everything that has gone before.

From my point of view, when Norman Osborne died, he died!

But apparently, I have to adjust my point of view, to a different point of view!

I didn’t find the JMS Gwen Stacy story any different.

O.k, something different happened there...

This is super hero comics...

We (They) have to always create new narratives...

To me, Gwen Stacy and Normn Osborne are BOTH dead.

But that doesn’t stop me enjoying new stories.

Hmm...

Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 04-15-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post

I'm talking about when Marvel has other ideas like crossover events that can interfere with (or completely derail) a writer's story-line. I think I read that this happened with Spider-man.

And btw if anyone cares to comment - what happened with JMS's Thor ending? I mean behind the scenes. JMS left the story unresolved?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    I'm talking about when Marvel has other ideas like crossover events that can interfere with (or completely derail) a writer's story-line. I think I read that this happened with Spider-man.

And btw if anyone cares to comment - what happened with JMS's Thor ending? I mean behind the scenes. JMS left the story unresolved?
    It was Siege
    https://www.cbr.com/jms-confirms-thor-exit/
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE OMNIBUS
    Written by MARK GRUENWALD, PETER SANDERSON, MARK LERER, TOM DEFALCO, ELIOT R. BROWN & MORE
    Penciled by VARIOUS
    Cover by JOHN BYRNE
    The original OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE is collected in a single hardcover for the very first time! It’s the fact-filled series that put the entire Marvel Universe into the hands of wide-eyed fans of the 1980s! The OHOTMU featured stunning original art from some of the era’s biggest names and in-depth profiles of Marvel’s greatest heroes and villains — from Abomination to Zzzax and pretty much everyone who was anyone (at the time) in between! Plus: A lengthy section devoted to then-dead and inactive characters — and a whole book of diagrams detailing Marvel’s most iconic weapons, hardware and paraphernalia! With origins, team affiliations, super-power assessments and other vital statistics, this is the ultimate reference tome for the first four decades of Marvel history! Collecting OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE (1983) #1-15.
    576 PGS./Rated T …$75.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92060-9
    Trim size: oversized

SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 2
    Written by ROY THOMAS
    Penciled by JOHN BUSCEMA with NEAL ADAMS, WALTER SIMONSON, DICK GIORDANO, BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH & TIM CONRAD
    Covers by SIMONE BIANCHI & JIM STARLIN
    SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN, the cornerstone of Marvel’s black-and-white magazine line, offered up stories of fiction’s most famous barbarian unencumbered by the Comics Code! With the rules of civilized publishing cast off, SAVAGE SWORD presented ferocious, untamed tales the likes of which Conan himself would approve. Writer Roy Thomas and artistic greats including John Buscema and Neal Adams took full advantage — and the results were a sensation! Multi-part sagas like “The People of the Black Circle” luxuriate in extended tellings, while Buscema’s take on “The Tower of the Elephant” explores the nuance of an all-time Robert E. Howard classic. And it’s topped off with MARVEL COMICS SUPER SPECIAL #2, a tale of vengeance lavished with fully painted colors! Collecting SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN (1974) #13-28 and MARVEL COMICS SUPER SPECIAL #2.
    936 PGS./Mature …$100.00

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VOL. 21 HC
    Written by DENNIS O’NEIL with MICHAEL FLEISHER, MIKE W. BARR, BILL MANTLO, J.M. DEMATTEIS, MARK GRUENWALD & ROGER STERN
    Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR. & FRANK MILLER with LUKE MCDONNELL, BOB MCLEOD, WIN MORTIMER, ALAN KUPPERBERG & BOB HALL
    Cover by FRANK MILLER
    New York City has always been a defining element in Spider-Man’s world, but it’s going to drive him crazy — if it doesn’t kill him first. From an NYC Marathon assassination plot to Peter Parker’s paper-thin apartment walls, and from a merged Hydro-Man/Sandman menace to running into his ex-girlfriend’s new beau, Biff Rifkin, the City That Never Sleeps just won’t give Spidey a break! And the hits keep coming when Peter Parker is accused of causing a prison break — and thrown in the slammer himself! Also featuring Moon Knight, a team-up with Sub-Mariner against the Frightful Four and the Aunt May solo “adventure” you demanded! And it’s all topped off with an iconic Dennis O’Neil/Frank Miller Annual pitting Spider-Man and the Punisher against Doc Ock! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #213-223 and ANNUAL #15.
    312 PGS./Rated T …$75.00

TIMELY’S GREATEST: THE GOLDEN AGE SIMON & KIRBY OMNIBUS
    Written by JOE SIMON & JACK KIRBY with MARTIN A. BURNSTEIN & STAN LEE
    Penciled by JOE SIMON & JACK KIRBY with LOUIS CAZENEUVE, AUGUST FROEHLICH, REED CRANDALL, AL AVISON & AL GABRIELE
    Covers by JOE SIMON & JACK KIRBY
    Marvel proudly presents TIMELY’S GREATEST, a series of once-in-a-lifetime volumes featuring the best stories of the Golden Age, when Marvel was known as Timely Comics! Joe Simon and Jack Kirby entered the comic-book field separately and undoubtedly would have made major impacts on their own — but when their talents came together, it wasn’t an impact, it was an earthquake. The Simon & Kirby team immediately became synonymous with innovative storytelling, powerful artwork and hit characters. They would birth some of the 1940s’ most enduring creations, including the embodiment of a nation’s fighting spirit: Captain America! This Omnibus collects Simon & Kirby’s Timely Comics stories and covers, from the Vision to the Fiery Mask — and the rare Red Raven! Collecting material from DARING MYSTERY COMICS #1-3 and #6-8, RED RAVEN COMICS #1, MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS #12-25, HUMAN TORCH COMICS #2, CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1-10, ALL-WINNERS COMICS (1941) #1-2, USA COMICS #1-3, YOUNG ALLIES COMICS #1 and MYSTIC COMICS (1941) #7.
    840 PGS./Rated T …$150.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-91934-4

VENOM BY DONNY CATES VOL. 1 OHC
    Written by DONNY CATES
    Penciled by RYAN STEGMAN & IBAN COELLO
    Cover by RYAN STEGMAN
    Rising star Donny Cates and blockbuster artist Ryan Stegman transform the world of Venom! An ancient and primordial evil has surfaced beneath the streets of New York. With it, something equally disturbing has been awakened in Venom, that most wicked of web-slingers! The symbiote may still be a lethal protector of innocents in New York, but this never-before-seen threat may force Venom to relinquish everything it holds dear — including its human host, Eddie Brock! Eddie and the symbiote summon the strength to defend New York against the most powerful foe they’ve ever faced, but one more thing stands in their way: Miles Morales, the newest Spider-Man! And relations between Eddie and the symbiote become ever more strained when new questions about the creature and its otherworldly origins come to light! Collecting VENOM (2018) #1-12.
    280 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-91967-2

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    After buying the Alpha Flight omnibus when it came out, I decided to sell it, as I felt bad it had been sitting on my shelf for so long unread.

Of course, the time has come where I want to jump in. Luckily it can still be found at a discount, but my preferred avenue for purchase, IST, is sold out. I suspect it will be OOP at some point this year.

Anyone else sell off any books and come to regret it down the line?
    I just finished reading my copy. Art was great, story was so-so. Got into it more in the later issues. It was fun. Don't regret buying it, if only for the Byrne art.

DAVID MAZZUCCHELLI'S DAREDEVIL BORN AGAIN ARTISAN EDITION

Frank Miller (w) • David Mazzucchelli (a & c)
    DAVID MAZZUCCHELLI’S DAREDEVIL BORN AGAIN was released in the much-lauded ARTIST’S EDITION format in 2012. It soon became the best-selling Artist’s Edition of all-time and was universally acclaimed. In 2013 the book received the prestigious EISNER AWARD for BEST ARCHIVAL PROJECT—COMIC BOOKS, as well as a HARVEY AWARD the same year. It soon sold out and has been the single most requested AE book to date for IDW to reissue.

So it is only fitting that IDW launch its new MARVEL series of ARTISAN EDITIONS with this award-winning classic! Just as the original release, DAVID MAZZUCCHELLI’S DAREDEVIL BORN AGAIN ARTISAN EDITION features the same scans—entirely from the original art—each painstakingly done by David Mazzucchelli himself to ensure the finest quality possible.

If ever a book deserved to be in this format it is Daredevil Born Again. Frank Miller, at the peak of his powers, crafted a story that remains—in an extraordinary career—one of his finest pieces of writing. And David Mazzucchelli does a stellar tour de force job as his collaborator, providing a nuanced and pitch-perfect turn as artist.

Is there any book more in need of being read and studied—and in this format—than DAREDEVIL BORN AGAIN?!
    TPB • B&W • $49.99 • 216 pages • 8” x 12” • ISBN: 978-1-68405-596-8

Bullet points:
    Advance solicited for September release!