Page 1358 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3588581258130813481354135513561357135813591360136113621368 ... LastLast
Results 20,356 to 20,370 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    If Brubaker Cap is my favorite Cap run, would I like Gruenwald's run? I'm willing to overlook Cap Wolf (that was Gruenwald, right?) and general old-timey writing if it's like above and beyond good or ahead of its time good, like Miller's DD.

My Cap faves have been Bru, then Waid, then Remender.
    This omni is his best work, he has some standard superhero stuff but give Cap some depth, I think the peaks of his run are 310-332, then the Bloodstone Hunt and Streets of Poison, both of those stories are hopefully in Volume 2 given how large Vol 1 is. I do enjoy 333-350 but with more John Walker than Steve Rogers in some of these issues it loses my interest for a bit

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Thanks for letting me know!

I hope I didn't sound like I was trying to start an argument if it was censored; I really was just curious after the bleeped slurs in the New Mutants omnibus.
    Not at all and it was one of the first things I checked when I opened my copy.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

If Brubaker Cap is my favorite Cap run, would I like Gruenwald's run? I'm willing to overlook Cap Wolf (that was Gruenwald, right?) and general old-timey writing if it's like above and beyond good or ahead of its time good, like Miller's DD.

This is always a difficult question to answer. Gruenwald's run is excellent IMO. I would rank it amongst the best, but I should also note that I'm not that big a fan of Brubaker's run past the first 24 issues. Gruenwald's run is very old-timey. The writing isn't ahead of its time as its very much reflective of the era. It's also not as dark as Brubaker's run. The artwork is very much standard 80's fare outside of the brilliant covers by Mike Zeck. As such it may not be to your liking.

For context, I'm a bit old-timey myself. My favourite Cap writers are Steve Englehart, Roger Stern, JM Dematteis and Mark Gruenwald.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    The first half of Gruenwald's run was better than the second half. The first half had Gruenwald rebuild Cap's rogue's gallery and supporting cast. His John Walker Cap story that went through issue 350 is probably the best. I enjoyed the title through the Streets of Poison era that ended around issue 386. After that it felt like Gruenwald had run out of story ideas. That's when the CapWolf story took place.

Gruenwald had a more old school style of writing compared to Brubaker. Brubaker's pacing was closer to the "writing for the trade" style where Gruenwald usually stuck to 1-2 issue stories and 6 part stories during the summer biweekly issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avengers1986 View Post
    This omni is his best work, he has some standard superhero stuff but give Cap some depth, I think the peaks of his run are 310-332, then the Bloodstone Hunt and Streets of Poison, both of those stories are hopefully in Volume 2 given how large Vol 1 is. I do enjoy 333-350 but with more John Walker than Steve Rogers in some of these issues it loses my interest for a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    This is always a difficult question to answer. Gruenwald's run is excellent IMO. I would rank it amongst the best, but I should also note that I'm not that big a fan of Brubaker's run past the first 24 issues. Gruenwald's run is very old-timey. The writing isn't ahead of its time as its very much reflective of the era. It's also not as dark as Brubaker's run. The artwork is very much standard 80's fare outside of the brilliant covers by Mike Zeck. As such it may not be to your liking.

For context, I'm a bit old-timey myself. My favourite Cap writers are Steve Englehart, Roger Stern, JM Dematteis and Mark Gruenwald.
    Thank you for the replies. I'm still on the fence. Will wait to see what things look like during NCM's overview next year.

Astonishing Member

Epic Reprints coming in 2024

February 2024
    Daredevil Vol 4
    Star Wars: Rise of the Sith Vol 1

March 2024
    Spider-Man Vol 5
    Star Wars: Empire Vol 1

April 2024
    X-Men Vol 1
    Star Wars: The New Republic Vol 1

May 2024
    Captain America Vol 3
    Daredevil Vol 18
    Spider-Man Vol 19
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Vol 1

June 2024
    Avengers 1
    X-Men Vol 12

July 2024
    Spider-Man Vol 21
    Fantastic Four Vol 20
    Silver Surfer Vol 3

PLUS THREE EXTRA ANNOUNCEMENTS

Coming in March 2024

Spider-Girl Modern Era Epic Collection Vol 1: Legacy (this is the complete collection volume 1 now rebranded as Modern Era Epic)

Coming in June 2024

Captain America Modern Era Epic Collection Vol 1: The Winter Soldier

Coming in June 2024

New X-Men Modern Era Epic Collection vol 1: E is for Extinction (this is the New X-Men complete collection volume 1 rebranded as Modern Era Epic)
    Last edited by Rincewind; 06-17-2023 at 07:49 AM.

Is The Ultimates omnibus by Miller worth the buy?

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Is The Ultimates omnibus by Miller worth the buy?
    It comes across very dated thanks to the pop culture references of the time. That said I loved the series and the oversized Hitch artwork is well worth the price.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    It comes across very dated thanks to the pop culture references of the time. That said I loved the series and the oversized Hitch artwork is well worth the price.
    I've never read it, so I thought I would give it a try. Do you need to know anything before?

Epic Reprints coming in 2024

February 2024
    Daredevil Vol 4
    Star Wars: Rise of the Sith Vol 1

March 2024
    Spider-Man Vol 5
    Star Wars: Empire Vol 1

April 2024
    X-Men Vol 1
    Star Wars: The New Republic Vol 1

May 2024
    Captain America Vol 3
    Daredevil Vol 18
    Spider-Man Vol 19
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Vol 1

June 2024
    Daredevil Vol 19
    X-Men Vol 12

July 2024
    Spider-Man Vol 21
    Fantastic Four Vol 20
    Silver Surfer Vol 3

PLUS THREE EXTRA ANNOUNCEMENTS

Coming in March 2024

Spider-Girl Modern Era Epic Collection Vol 1: Legacy (this is the complete collection volume 1 now rebranded as Modern Era Epic)

Coming in June 2024

Captain America Modern Era Epic Collection Vol 1: The Winter Soldier

Coming in June 2024

New X-Men Modern Era Epic Collection vol 1: E is for Extinction (this is the New X-Men complete collection volume 1 rebranded as Modern Era Epic)
    I think it is Avengers vol.1 that's getting a reprint instead of Daredevil vol.19.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I've never read it, so I thought I would give it a try. Do you need to know anything before?
    You don't need to know anything going before reading it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post
    I think it is Avengers vol.1 that's getting a reprint instead of Daredevil vol.19.
    Good catch. Edited the post to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    You don't need to know anything going before reading it.
    Ok, thanks.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Ultimates might be Bryan Hitch’s best work and I think it’s must read, would we have the MCU without Millar and Hitch’s Ultimates?

Honestly, with asking for a comparison to Brubaker's Cap run, I'd give that a hard no.....There are a few issues here or there which are fun (some of the John Walker stuff, in particular), but most of Gruenwald's run is basic 80s fare. Kind of goofy, and not structured very well. A hardcore fan of Brubaker probably wouldn't be into this.

As flawed as the DeMatteis/Zeck run is, I'd say the few gems in that one are far superior to Gruenwald's run. But I wouldn't suggest the full DeMatteis run, either.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Coming in March 2024

CAPTAIN AMERICA VOLUME 4

Collecting: Captain America (1968) #193-214, Captain America Annual (1971) #3-4, Marvel Treasury Special: Captain America's Bicentennial Battles (1976), material from F.O.O.M. (1973) #11

and coming in June 2024

CAPTAIN AMERICA BY MARK GRUENWALD VOLUME 1

collecting: Captain America (1968) #307-350; Captain America Annual (1971) #8; Marvel Fanfare (182) #29; Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #278; Iron Man (1968) #228; material from Marvel Fanfare (1982) #26, 31-32

CA volume 4 is rebranding the CA by Jack Kirby omnibus that came out a few years ago and was reprinted in 2021. The CA by Gruenwald looks like it is following the epic mapping by including the Scrourge subplot crossovers and the non Gruenwald Captain America story in Marvel Fanfare.
    I was wondering how they would present/number the next Cap Omnibuses after the Kirby Omnibus. That's really good of Marvel to those of us who bought the 1st or 2nd printings of the Kirby Omni to not go ahead and produce a Vol. 4 that would incorporate what came after Kirby. I already have a mishmash of those SA Cap spines - old style for Vol. 1 and 2, new Vol. 3 and then the Kirby 1st printing. I'll just run with it.

With regards the Grunewald Omnibus, great news and this will be another standard cover choice for me.