Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    The biggest issue for me with the DeFalco run on Thor is that it was such a change is storytelling style from the Simonson run. Simonson had an epic style storyline that focused on Norse myth, jettisoned the Earth identity of Don Blake, made changes to the classic Thor look, and developed many long standing Asgardian characters. The DeFalco run is done in an older Silver Age style storytelling style. DeFalco worked closely with Ron Frenz in a "Marvel Style" where Frenz was a co plotter and DeFalco scripted after the art was done. The DeFalco run returned to the more traditional character look, the Asgardian characters acted more like their pre Simonson characterization, and the stories were set more on Earth and focused on the human characters and supporting cast.

If you don't have a problem with the change from Simonson's style to DeFalco's style and you enjoy Silver Age style comics, then you will enjoy this run. It's definitely better than the Clone Saga. The creative team worked closely together with little change as it went on. The plot is straight forward with all the story elements being developed and resolved. Don't worry about it being "very 90s" since it was done in almost a retro style for the time.
    Agree with everything above. Anytime a new /new to title writer follows such an iconic run, they already have a strike or two against them, to no fault of their own. And like Rincewind said, DeFalco took the character backwards to focus more on earth, retro style, and older characterizations and looks of characters. It wasn't horrible, and I'm sure there were a few folks out there at the time that were happy to get away from the grand Norse myth of Simonson and focus on Thor being your average super hero on earth again. I LOVED Simonson. I was reading it at the time as a young teen. It wasn't SUPER jarring going from Simonson to DeFalco IMO, if I remember it right. IIRC it was decent, nothing groundbreaking, but not bad. I'll be getting this Epic for sure.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Spectacular Member

The starting point for any Thor run should be the first 5 Thor Epic Collections. Also, worth getting the Tales of Asgard book; Kirby's art gets a new dimension with the modern colouring.

Mighty Member

Thanks Rincewind and Rimmer. I think I'll stay away from that run for now unless I become obsessed with Thor - I definitely enjoy Asgard and it's politics more than some other aspects, and humans being in the other Realms (e.g. Roz Solomon) more than I enjoyed the "Thor on Earth interacting with humans" aspect. Very helpful advice!
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    And it's massively duplicative with his previous Thanos OHC
    I don't see why they didn't just add Cate's 13-issue run on Guardians, making it a more normal sized omnibus?

BANNED

Question about the Ultimates Omnibus. I know the hardcover edition that collected both volumes had a bonus section that had commentary from Hitch and Millar as well as various easter eggs, does the Omnibus include that bonus material?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Sinescu View Post
    Hi folks, just wanted to pop in for a minute to take care of a few nagging questions.... I'd just sold a full run of Invaders assuming there was an omni out that would collect the run. And I'm wrong. Has this been talked about in either omni or MW format? I really should've checked before I sold the set.
    There isn't an omnibus, but the original series was collected in two Complete Collections.

Invaders Classic Complete Collection v1 (Collects Giant-Size Invaders #1; Invaders (1975) #1-22, Annual #1; Marvel Premiere (1972) #29-30; Avengers (1963) #71)
    Invaders Classic Complete Collection v2 (Collects Invaders (1975) #23, 25-41, Invaders (1993) #1-4, Giant-Size Invaders #2, What If? (1977) #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Sinescu View Post
    Also, was wondering if there was any interest in or rumors of a Doctor Doom omni (a "Doomnibus"). I see the upcoming Loki omni and there's the clumisily-titled Venomnibus, seems like the bad Doc should have something as well. I've really been wanting to find something fairly inclusive of his most essential evil deeds, but he has so many appearances scattered all over. Barring any omni talk, would love to get some recommendations about any great Doom storylines.

I'd definitely buy a Doom omnibus. There is a Marvel Masterworks Rarities, which has Doctor Doom stories from Marvel Super-Heroes #20, Astonishing Tales #1-8

I'd definitely recommend the OGN Triumph and Torment by Stern and Mignola. I also enjoyed the OGN Emperor Doom. The Iron Man Doomquest arcs, which have been collected in the Premiere hardcover format. Books of Doom by Brubaker and Rivera is an excellent update / retelling / expansion.

You can check out more recommendations and appearances in the Doom Appreciation thread here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2021
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-25-2021 at 10:03 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLutz View Post
    Question about the Ultimates Omnibus. I know the hardcover edition that collected both volumes had a bonus section that had commentary from Hitch and Millar as well as various easter eggs, does the Omnibus include that bonus material?
    Yep it includes the commentary from Millar and Hitch.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Yep it includes the commentary from Millar and Hitch.
    Nice!

Thanks.

Spectacular Member

Anyone know about the Cap and Spidey omnis that we’re supposed to drop today? Still refreshing IST...

They just went up at 3:22 bought and paid... really looking forward to not using them for new releases anymore...
    Last edited by Phd. Strange; 01-26-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phd. Strange View Post
    Anyone know about the Cap and Spidey omnis that we’re supposed to drop today? Still refreshing IST...
    Ive never seen IST NOT update the new releases at 3pm on a Tuesday - which is what is happening today.
    Perhaps there's thousand of us slamming that refresh button haha
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Ive never seen IST NOT update the new releases at 3pm on a Tuesday - which is what is happening today.
    I just saw them.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Happened a couple other times recently to me. I forget what day it was but the books didn’t go up until like 3:10. Was the day that Cates GOtG HC was supposed to come out but never dropped...

It was more like 3:20 today new releases were available for purchase.I picked up Bru Cap and MoS vol.2
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Will there be new reprints of these silver age omnibus books: X-men, Hulk and Thor? The resale prices on these volumes are sky high and I'm sure that there are a great many people waiting.
    Hail Hydra!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Will there be new reprints of these silver age omnibus books: X-men, Hulk and Thor? The resale prices on these volumes are sky high and I'm sure that there are a great many people waiting.
    I think Thor v1 reprint was announced at some point maybe I am misremembering