Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Like SJNeal, I've been ordering from DCBS monthly for a decade. Other than their responsiveness falling apart during COVID, it's been a dream.

You're under no obligation to order every single month. When you order, they're going to ask you to set up a shipping frequency. Weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. When you check out with an order, based on that shipping selection, you'll be charged for one two or three shipments. The way I understand it, you'll receive your shipments at whatever frequency you selected until everything you ordered has been delivered. For example, if you order four omnis with monthly shipping spread across three orders (three shipping charges), and those omnis aren't released in a way that allows them all to go out in three shipments, DCBS is either going to want you to pay an additional shipping charge or they're going to sit on your outstanding items until everything comes in and can go out together.

That might sound complicated, but it's not. If you're making regular IST orders for trades, my recommendation would be to start making one DCBS order a month for everything you want, and going with monthly shipping. Prices on IST will NEVER be lower than the DCBS preorder price, and you get the peace of mind knowing you don't have to fight people for limited stock on release day. It's the "set it and forget it" way to buy your books.
    Thanks for articulating what I've been struggling to explain, doolittle! I blame my covid-addled brain .

I think the DCBS model is tougher to wrap your head around if you're strictly using them for omnis/collections. It makes much more sense if you're a floppy buyer with a regular monthly pull list.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Using DCBS for 10 years? Haha what a nerd.

*checks own IST order history*

oh. oh my. uh
    Actually, my 11 year anniversary is next month! *Stamps nerd card*.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The response from IST in regards to the New Mutants and Excalibur omnibuses.

"Hello,

Neither of these items are available from the distributor any longer so we are currently unable to restock them.

Thank you for your business! We appreciate it!

Thanks,"

Granted, I didn't specify regular or DM cover, but it does appear they're gone. Damn. I've been out of the Omnibus and OHC game for a couple years due to finances and almost everything I had wanted being released anyway. Had no idea it had gotten this bad with short print runs. Going to make sure I order Uncanny Vol. 4 on day one of release now. Ended up ordering from Amazon while I could. Fingers crossed they don't arrive damaged.

Like SJNeal, I've been ordering from DCBS monthly for a decade. Other than their responsiveness falling apart during COVID, it's been a dream.

You're under no obligation to order every single month. When you order, they're going to ask you to set up a shipping frequency. Weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. When you check out with an order, based on that shipping selection, you'll be charged for one two or three shipments. The way I understand it, you'll receive your shipments at whatever frequency you selected until everything you ordered has been delivered. For example, if you order four omnis with monthly shipping spread across three orders (three shipping charges), and those omnis aren't released in a way that allows them all to go out in three shipments, DCBS is either going to want you to pay an additional shipping charge or they're going to sit on your outstanding items until everything comes in and can go out together.

That might sound complicated, but it's not. If you're making regular IST orders for trades, my recommendation would be to start making one DCBS order a month for everything you want, and going with monthly shipping. Prices on IST will NEVER be lower than the DCBS preorder price, and you get the peace of mind knowing you don't have to fight people for limited stock on release day. It's the "set it and forget it" way to buy your books.
    When do you pay for the pre-orders?

Quote Originally Posted by theegreatone View Post
    When do you pay for the pre-orders?
    Upon shipment, not at the time of the order.

Which is nice, because if the publisher cancels a book you're not stuck chasing refunds.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Upon shipment, not at the time of the order.

Which is nice, because if the publisher cancels a book you're not stuck chasing refunds.
    Thanks. Going to look into it.

Thanks for articulating what I've been struggling to explain, doolittle! I blame my covid-addled brain .
    It was my pleasure to help out a pillar of our community here! Hope your Covid case is as much on the mild side as possible.

Amazing Member

All this DCBS talk has me wondering if I should preorder thru them. I checked and the only Omni I’m interested in that’s available for preorder is Star Wars. Based on the 7.50 shipping charge I’d have to buy at least a couple of Omni to start saving money, but the peace of mind could be worth it. I noticed that only DC and Marvel have a “collected” view option. Is there a better way to search for preorders for all publishers and exclude floppies? Is it only Marvel and DC that gets the 50% discount?
    Last edited by JCinOntario; 01-10-2021 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCinOntario View Post
    All this DCBS talk has me wondering if I should preorder thru them.
    You should.

I checked and the only Omni I’m interested in that’s available for preorder is Star Wars. Based on the 7.50 shipping charge I’d have to buy at least a couple of Omni to start saving money, but the peace of mind could be worth it.
    It is.

I noticed that only DC and Marvel have a “collected” view option. Is there a better way to search for preorders for all publishers and exclude floppies? Is it only Marvel and DC that gets the 50% discount?
    Yes, it's usually only the Big Two that get the big discounts. Indy publishers tend to run 30-40% off, I believe. As far as the search function, that's a good question; I preorder all of my monthly floppies as well, so I've never tried to filter.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by JCinOntario View Post
    All this DCBS talk has me wondering if I should preorder thru them. I checked and the only Omni I’m interested in that’s available for preorder is Star Wars. Based on the 7.50 shipping charge I’d have to buy at least a couple of Omni to start saving money, but the peace of mind could be worth it. I noticed that only DC and Marvel have a “collected” view option. Is there a better way to search for preorders for all publishers and exclude floppies? Is it only Marvel and DC that gets the 50% discount?
    When I make my monthly order, after going through the specials for the month, I go through each publisher's books on the preorder tab. I sort descending by price. Outside of some crazy prices for certain variant covers, this puts all the collected editions near the top. Since I mainly order collected editions, but also mix in a floppy or two, I just work down from highest price to lowest while adding books.

Amazing Member

You should.

It is.

Yes, it's usually only the Big Two that get the big discounts. Indy publishers tend to run 30-40% off, I believe. As far as the search function, that's a good question; I preorder all of my monthly floppies as well, so I've never tried to filter.

Thank you.

Amazing Member

When I make my monthly order, after going through the specials for the month, I go through each publisher's books on the preorder tab. I sort descending by price. Outside of some crazy prices for certain variant covers, this puts all the collected editions near the top. Since I mainly order collected editions, but also mix in a floppy or two, I just work down from highest price to lowest while adding books.
    Thank you, yes, sorting by price got me closer to what I’m looking for.

Is it normal for books that have already been released to be on this list? It's a bit confusing. Does it wait for all books to be released and then ships them all at once? Charging you for the books then?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

It looks like there's a Loki Vol. 1 Omnibus on the way including all his first appearances as per Garuda on the Masterworks forum.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

There's a Moon Knight Omnibus with a Finch cover from the 2000s out. Amazon only lists material from the 70s, though.