Page 296 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 1962462862922932942952962972982993003063463967961296 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 20744
    Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    So the material in the Silver Age Cap Omnibus that was just reprinted - is it really notable or essential in any way? Like the silver age Fantastic Four and Spider-Man Omnibuses get a lot of praise. Some say Fantastic Four is the "Great American Novel." Those two titles seem like they're also very important in just a historical context for Marvel and worth working through even if someone isn't a fan of the silver age writing style. But does Cap fit that mold, or is it something that, unless you're a huge fan of the character, you should skip?
    I really enjoyed it, but it's not on the level of Fantastic Four or Spider-man. I don't think it's essential reading for Marvel the way those two are. It's just good Captain America comics with him fighting AIM and Hydra, MODOK etc. Agent 13 gets introduced and starts a classic Cap storyline about her. Lots of great art from Kirby and Steranko. The very beginning is a bit dull as it seems Lee & co weren't quite sure what to do with Cap on his own, away from the Avengers. Then they dabble in telling stories about him and Bucky fighting during the war instead of stories set in the present day of the 1960s, and those stories are dire, but I think there's only about five of them, and after they're over the book starts to get good. If anyone stops reading there, they're missing out!

Overall, Silver Age Cap gets good much quicker than Iron Man and Thor (Thor takes the longest). Fantastic Four and Spider-man start off good. Ant-Man is never exactly good but I still enjoyed his epic collection for what it was. X-Men I can't be objective about enough to evaluate, the characters are too close to me. I haven't read Hulk or Namor or Shield or Avengers or Daredevil or anything else yet, but soon, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by squashmaster View Post
    So it looks like I done held out too long on the IG omni. It's starting to get those ridiculous prices that out of print Marvel omnis tend to get.

So my question is, should I just buy a copy from CheapGNs now for $150, or wait on the inevitable reprint coming in 2018 before the Infinity War movies come out? Is this entirely a personal value call?

I guess "Is its reprint inevitable?" is a better question.
    I'd lay good money on a reprint happening based on AoA just having received one, but I don't advise you wait. If it doesn't happen those prices could double by the time the film comes out. If you really want it, I'd bite the bullet and pony up.

Incredible Member

Nothing is ever guaranteed, and normally I'm against the idea of banking on reprints, but I think Marvel would probably re-print the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus for either Part 1 or 2 of the Infinity War films. But by then, who knows what the paper stock, covers, etc will be like. If you can get Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus now for cover or less, you might as well grab it. Then if a reprint is announced in a few years, you could always flip it before news of the reprint is widely known.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    I love the old MK stuff, but the Charlie Huston + Mike Benson issues were amazing!
    The last TPB "Down South" slows down a bit and the 2 volumes of Vengeance of the Moon Knight and Shadowland change the pace a lot but are still a good read I think.
    (the Bendis volumes are after "shadowland" and are a bit confusing at times but ok... MK is great again in the Warren Ellis volume )

Anyone reading the Lemire issues? They look great but i'm waiting for the TPB.
    I'm very much enjoying the Lemire issues thus far.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I knew marvel couldn't get through 5 volumes without screwing with us...

http://imgur.com/zVad2xE

Damn you marvel lol
    I just want MARVEL to answer one small question.... WHY?

Damn you marvel lol
    Uuughhh....why does Marvel continue to do this?! It's so simple to prevent stuff like this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    Uuughhh....why does Marvel continue to do this?! It's so simple to prevent stuff like this happening.
    With the number of collection specific editors they have mistakes like this are just not acceptable. The spines for the Oz books are even worse, I'll see if I can get a photo.

So it looks like I done held out too long on the IG omni. It's starting to get those ridiculous prices that out of print Marvel omnis tend to get.

So my question is, should I just buy a copy from CheapGNs now for $150, or wait on the inevitable reprint coming in 2018 before the Infinity War movies come out? Is this entirely a personal value call?

I missed out on this too, but I'm not willing to pay the £120+ that the book is going for. I was told by Speedyhen that a reprint is on its way but I'm not sure how accurate their information is.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Damn you marvel lol
    You've GOT to be shitting me!

Amazing Member

To echo Tom Slick, not only are reprints not inevitable, but we might end up with one of the 500 dollar box sets like Marvel did for Civil War and Secret Wars rather than a reprint. AoA got a reprint, but that's not a specific Marvel movie so they're not going to want to promote it with something as lavish as a new box set. The reprint is more "we wish it was our movie but we'll try to make some money off it."

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    So the material in the Silver Age Cap Omnibus that was just reprinted - is it really notable or essential in any way? Like the silver age Fantastic Four and Spider-Man Omnibuses get a lot of praise. Some say Fantastic Four is the "Great American Novel." Those two titles seem like they're also very important in just a historical context for Marvel and worth working through even if someone isn't a fan of the silver age writing style. But does Cap fit that mold, or is it something that, unless you're a huge fan of the character, you should skip?
    2 words: jack kirby
    those two words even if in a small number of issues make not buying a omni difficult for me!

I think there are still many copies of Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus, and my hopes are the movie will get a Infinity War or Infinity Crusade Omnibus (but there's news of a change in the movie title, so...)

Not much you can do, the Infinity Gauntlet series is collector gold and always has been. Even the cheapo $1 reprint of the first issue sells above cover.

Insofar as reprints seem random, this has to be a great candidate for the big movie tie-in. Unless we get Howard The Duck vol 2 instead

Mighty Member

If i read the GotG omni now, would it spoil the WoK omni later? I know theres some overlap, and Thanos imperative is like the conclusion of that cosmic era. Would it be better to wait and just read them jointly?

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

If i read the GotG omni now, would it spoil the WoK omni later? I know theres some overlap, and Thanos imperative is like the conclusion of that cosmic era. Would it be better to wait and just read them jointly?
    To get the full story, yes, you will need to wait.

GotG omnibus will have enough information that you will know what is going on though, it will just make the WoK story redundant, as you will already know the end by the time it drops.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    I think there are still many copies of Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus, and my hopes are the movie will get a Infinity War or Infinity Crusade Omnibus (but there's news of a change in the movie title, so...)
    Yeah, I would have bet against an Infinity Gauntlet reprint due to the fact that Marvel had to send it to clearance (although they did the same with AoA) and the title of the movie being War would have made me assume we'd get Infinity War as an omnibus.

However the name change announcement has thrown that all up in the air
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

You sure done did wait too long, good buddy!

It's funny. This book was pretty hot for a while, then had an OOP scare, then came back with new printings. Marvel must have printed way too many the last go around, because this was one of the bargain priced clearance Omnis a couple months ago. In fact I remember CGN and other places had it for as low as $50-60. Luckily I bought some extra copies dirt cheap to sell later on at those ridiculously high prices to fools who waited too long!

I'm trying to have a little fun here, and honestly, I feel bad for you. I've been on the wrong side of a clearance discount sale before, so I feel your pain. Let this be a lesson to strike while the iron is hot, and all of that next time.

I don't know that anything is inevitable, as far as Marvel's printing rationale goes. They might release the whole shebang as one of those nifty multi-volume slip-cased box sets. Or, complete collections. We really have no idea what they'll do. About the only sure thing was that eventually this book was going to get hot again with the next Avengers movie.