Page 332 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2322823223283293303313323333343353363423824328321332 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Is Fractions uncanny X-men any good? Thinking of get the 3 vol complete collections, but only if it is a good self contained story, recently tried to read the uncanny avengers omni but after the first 4 or 5 issues it started jumping around and I lost interest, I usually like fractions work but don't want to buy his X-men stuff if it's all over the place
    Rick Remender did Uncanny Avengers and you were wise to stop after 5 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    If thats the case then surely the Conan Omni should have been discounted from the vote in favour of something else?
    Especially since it was a tie at #38.
    I mentioned that when I saw that Rom had made the list as well, but at the end of the day, the list is just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by evilomar View Post
    I enjoyed Secret Warriors and was hoping they would one day collect Hickman's Shield in oversize format.
    The first volume has been collected as an OHC hasn't it? Or is it just a PHC?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    The first volume has been collected as an OHC hasn't it? Or is it just a PHC?
    It is OHC. With all this discussion about it over the last few posts I pulled out my copy and started reading it last night.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I've just cracked open my Master of Kung Fu, Vol. 1 omnibus (variant - apparently sold out already!). Doug Moench's intro is terrific - I need to find out if he's doing any current writing. The page weight, though it felt a bit thin in my hand, does a very solid job of not showing through from opposite pages when resting on the pages behind it - and, there's a lot of white space to check this out on, because letter pages are included!

The restoration is gorgeous and the first issue (which I've just read) is definitely an all-time classic. It's like this is a giant Masterwork.

PS: My first post recapping #46-50 of the Omnibus survey is up, with tons of new detail and content. More to come!
    I also read the intro/forward and that alone got me excited. I've not dug into the actual contents yet. I sadly had a "page cutting" error that I've emailed IST about. The fact the variant cover is sold out is problematic but perhaps they can still get some more. Hoping Marvel has some in a warehouse somewhere that IST can get me a replacement copy.
    MoKF-1.jpg MoKF-2.jpg
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    What didn't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnnykid View Post
    What didn't you like about it?
    Unreadable. The whole series was bad and then Axis was just horribly dumb.
    That's said I finished Black Science last night and can't say enough good things about it!

That's said I finished Black Science last night and can't say enough good things about it!
    I tough Uncanny Avengers was "average", but Axis was just recycling bad clichés!
    I'ts almost a crime to see this stuff in Omni and Oversized and no Moon Knight, Excalibur, New Mutants, Alpha Flight... Omniboo yet!
    Still I'd put money down on us having a 2nd Uncanny Avengers omni before Excalibur or Alpha! (the others depending on movie & netflix news i think it's a matter of time)

I've read Annihilation and Conquest. I just got Guardians. I was under the impression I should wait until War of Kings before starting Guardians. Is this the case or can I move on and start reading now?
    I think you can read it and will enjoy it but since the Wok omni is coming this year I would just wait, probably it's better that way. But can''t tell for sure since I've still not read Wok and Rok.

For me, his Marvel work is okay to pretty good, but his creator owned titles are great. Deadly Class and Low are my favorites of his current work, and Fear Agent is one of the best series I've read.

Is Fractions uncanny X-men any good? Thinking of get the 3 vol complete collections, but only if it is a good self contained story, recently tried to read the uncanny avengers omni but after the first 4 or 5 issues it started jumping around and I lost interest, I usually like fractions work but don't want to buy his X-men stuff if it's all over the place
    It's not a bad read, but it's also nothing special. And a lot of it is drawn by Greg Land, who is a very divisive artist. A lot of people, including myself if I'm being honest, really don't like his art style.
    Last edited by csista; 06-07-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I've asked about the SHIELD omni a week or so ago but nobody shared opinions about it but I'm still interested especially about the Kirby part of the book, since I'm not a big Kirby fan but the Steranko stuff makes me want to buy it (but if the first half of the book is not that super awesome I will pass on it.)
    I want to read more SA stuff, just ordered ASM v1 omni so if the SHIELD omnibus is considered a great read among other classics like SM, F4 or Doctor Strange (which it shared a title with) I would definitely give it a shot.
    Ive not read the omnibus, but I have the 3 masterworks and worked through the first two, which is all the kirby material I believe. It is definitely silver agey, but I found it very readable, total spy thriller vibe, mixed in with an interesting historical perspective (Chinese bad guy and cop fighting in Chinatown) I think they must have been written around when Kung Fu was getting popular.

The stories were enjoyable for sure, more readable than say iron man masterworks vols 1-3 and even vol1 of the fantastic four omnis. Less campy, maybe they were aiming it at a slightly more mature audience. Those are just my observations, if I didn't have the masterworks I'd buy the omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Ive not read the omnibus, but I have the 3 masterworks and worked through the first two, which is all the kirby material I believe. It is definitely silver agey, but I found it very readable, total spy thriller vibe, mixed in with an interesting historical perspective (Chinese bad guy and cop fighting in Chinatown) I think they must have been written around when Kung Fu was getting popular.

The stories were enjoyable for sure, more readable than say iron man masterworks vols 1-3 and even vol1 of the fantastic four omnis. Less campy, maybe they were aiming it at a slightly more mature audience. Those are just my observations, if I didn't have the masterworks I'd buy the omnibus.
    thanks for the opinion, promising so far.

Spectacular Member

I could live with those Master of Kung-Fu errors, especially if I had a DM cover.

Spectacular Member

Sorry to jump on this but did they ever fix that printing error in the 2(?) volume? Been putting off getting these as I wasn't sure it was ever fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Unsure if you meant "first couple" issues or trades, but I read it through until Secret Wars and Soule managed to maintain (and maybe enhance) that same vibe. By the end there were characters I was seriously rooting for or against despite being kind of bored with the plot.
    First couple of issues that Joe Mad penciled. I've always liked his stuff but didn't buy into inhumans after reading his three issues. I got the OHC on a whim and finally sat down and really enjoyed it. Maybe my expectations were as low as they can get, but I also like Stegman and Soule. I'm willing to give the post civil war uncanny and all-new inhumans a try at some point on unlimited.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Holy moly, y'all said a lot of interesting things I want to chime in on in the past 12hrs. Before I dive in: I published the in-depth look at Omnibuses #45-40 from the survey on my blog. Trying to understand what the hell Killraven actually is about nearly did me in at 2am last night

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Have you thrown the calipers at it to see if the paper is better, because to me it does feel a little nicer than we have been getting. I just finished doing my new book inspection on my DM cover copy only to find this waiting for me on the last page of a otherwise nice copy Super bummed! We will see what IST is willing to do for me to keep my dust jacket.
    If my caliper is still calibrated correctly, I'm getting a mix of .07mm and .08mm, which is actually heavier than the .05-.06mm of Uncanny X-Force (the most-recent one I have opened and checked). I'm going to clean them off and put in a new battery, but if this is right the paper is a glossy stock that's equivalent in weight to Epic Collections!

Maybe classic content gets different page weights because of the different ink coverage?

Also, how does a wrapped book get a rip on an internal page! That's such a bummer. My dust jacket was on rather askew, but it wasn't enough trouble to send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    If thats the case then surely the Conan Omni should have been discounted from the vote in favour of something else?
    Especially since it was a tie at #38.
    The criteria for the poll is simply material that Marvel has released - votes typically include licensed content even if it isn't possible for Marvel to attack it. Hey, we just got Deadly Hands of Kung Fu and Master of Kung Fu, which we would have said was impossible last year, so maybe nothing is too much of a long shot!

Quote Originally Posted by evilomar View Post
    I enjoyed Secret Warriors and was hoping they would one day collect Hickman's Shield in oversize format.
    As others have mentioned above, the initial release of Hickman's first SHIELD mini-series was straight to OHC. The issue numbered with an Infinity symbol wasn't in that collection and, yes, there are still two issues left to release!

I agree. The first five issues of Uncanny Avengers was fine, and I actually liked some of what came after, but the end of the first huge story was so clumsy (and changed the perception of the early Twins material) that I discount the series as a whole. I wonder how that could have played out as the next 10-15ish issues of Uncanny X-Force?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I also read the intro/forward and that alone got me excited. I've not dug into the actual contents yet. I sadly had a "page cutting" error that I've emailed IST about. The fact the variant cover is sold out is problematic but perhaps they can still get some more. Hoping Marvel has some in a warehouse somewhere that IST can get me a replacement copy.
    Wow, sounds like a lot of quality control issues with this volume! It's terrible they're all hitting the variant dust jacket, since there is such an initial run on them.

Lesson learned: always open your variant edition omnis when you get them in the mail ... before they all disappear!

I'm in the minority here, but I liked Fraction's run a lot - even with Land on art. Despite the zeitgeist being against him, Fraction actually moved the core concept of X-Men forward through their move to SF and brought them back to fighting some actual villains instead of constant alternate future BS and infighting. Yes, some of the constant focus on Scott/Emma was annoying (bro-ification of Scott, de-clawing of Emma), but that doesn't make it a bad run by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben11345 View Post
    Sorry to jump on this but did they ever fix that printing error in the 2(?) volume? Been putting off getting these as I wasn't sure it was ever fixed.
    Whoa, what printing error in Fraction, Vol. 2?
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!