Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    No hyperbole on my part in saying that Davis's second run on Excalibur (where he was also the writer), was one of of the best superhero runs of all time. Thing that were set up long ago, not just earlier in Excalibur, but back in his Captain Britain run, were payed off beautifully.

Agreed.....Dr Hank needs to check that out. Davis tied together all those open-ended storylines Claremont left when he departed from the series. It was as if it was all pre-planned, but Davis has actually stated Claremont didn't discuss any of those storylines with him, so Davis tied them together, himself, in that 2nd run. Great stuff, probably Davis's best work.

Incredible Member

I've never read Excalibur. It always seemed to have characters that I wasn't into (Cap Britain, who's only ever appealed to me under Cornell's run) or involved with the main books (except for crossovers, I suppose). BUT I do love Davis. Big fan of his X-Men run and the Twelve and All that.

So are folks saying that this Excalibur omni doesn't contain the "good" run? Which issues are the second Davis run anyway? Also, Ellis wrote the book too at some point, right? How does that hold up?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I've never read Excalibur. It always seemed to have characters that I wasn't into (Cap Britain, who's only ever appealed to me under Cornell's run) or involved with the main books (except for crossovers, I suppose). BUT I do love Davis. Big fan of his X-Men run and the Twelve and All that.

So are folks saying that this Excalibur omni doesn't contain the "good" run? Which issues are the second Davis run anyway? Also, Ellis wrote the book too at some point, right? How does that hold up?
    People consider the “good” Excalibur runs to be the initial Claremont/Davis run (though most seem to think the Cross-Time Caper went on way too long), which is what this omni collects; and then the later Davis solo run. (Some people will also go to bat for the Ellis run.)

No, the Omni definitely contains one of the 2 "good" runs - the complete first run with Claremont writing and Davis on most of the art (special + issues 1 through 24), then there's some throw away issues, not all of them bad, then Alan Davis came back as both artist and writer with issue 42 and stuck with it (along with some fill-in artists) up to issue 67, which was his last issue. The Omnibus has everything up to issue 34, so it'll have that first run, but missing Davis's return run - which should be in a 2nd volume, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    People consider the “good” Excalibur runs to be the initial Claremont/Davis run (though most seem to think the Cross-Time Caper went on way too long), which is what this omni collects; and then the later Davis solo run. (Some people will also go to bat for the Ellis run.)
    No, the Omni definitely contains one of the 2 "good" runs - the complete first run with Claremont writing and Davis on most of the art (special + issues 1 through 24), then there's some throw away issues, not all of them bad, then Alan Davis came back as both artist and writer with issue 42 and stuck with it (along with some fill-in artists) up to issue 67, which was his last issue. The Omnibus has everything up to issue 34, so it'll have that first run, but missing Davis's return run - which should be in a 2nd volume, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
    Thanks for replying. Is the second run in any epic collections, perhaps?

Thanks for replying. Is the second run in any epic collections, perhaps?
    Not epics (yet), but there's a 3-volume "Excalibur Visionaries: Alan Davis" paperback editions, similar to epics, that contains his entire 2nd run from issue #42 up to #67.

Spectacular Member

Not epics (yet), but there's a 3-volume "Excalibur Visionaries: Alan Davis" paperback editions, similar to epics, that contains his entire 2nd run from issue #42 up to #67.
    If you don't mind mixing TPB lines, the portion of Davis' second run contained in the first and second Visionaries volumes has been collected in Excalibur Epic v4, Curiouser and Curiouser, released in February this year. Then you need only hunt down Visionaries v3 to complete it (or await the fifth Epic). Hope this helps!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    If you don't mind mixing TPB lines, the portion of Davis' second run contained in the first and second Visionaries volumes has been collected in Excalibur Epic v4, Curiouser and Curiouser, released in February this year. Then you need only hunt down Visionaries v3 to complete it (or await the fifth Epic). Hope this helps!
    Thanks!

Is this 2nd run readable on its own, without the omnibus or Moore's Cap Britain?

Thanks!

Is this 2nd run readable on its own, without the omnibus or Moore's Cap Britain?

You don't need Moore's Captain Britain, but it'll be more enriching to have read Davis's second run after the first Excalibur omnibus since a lot of Claremont's loose threads get resolved in Davis's second run......The main problem with the Excalibur omnibus is the non-Davis issues are trash, so the omnibus consists of 1/4 trash, 3/4 quality stuff.

Also, since you liked Davis's X-Men run, you'll definitely like his work on Excalibur.......You might also want to check out ClanDestine (Marvel, Davis's work on ClanDestine is in a fully collected hardcover), if you haven't read that, along with The Nail & Another Nail (Which are from DC). Also, Superboy's Legion.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: DAREDEVIL VOL. 15 HC
    Written by FRANK MILLER & ROGER McKENZIE with MICHAEL FLEISHER, DAVID MICHELINIE
    & RALPH MACCHIO
    Penciled by FRANK MILLER with STEVE DITKO & PAUL GULACY
    Cover by FRANK MILLER
    One of the most influential runs in not just Marvel history, but all of comics history begins with the arrival of Frank Miller as the creative force behind DAREDEVIL! Miller remade the mythos of the Man Without Fear, first illustrating Roger McKenzie’s scripts with art partner Klaus Janson, then taking over as both writer and artist. Miller grinds the grit of New York City’s streets into every page, blending super heroics with the dark tone of noir crime thrillers. DD squares off against Doctor Octopus, the Hulk, Gladiator and the psychotic side of Bullseye before Miller introduces a new icon: the assassin Elektra! And her tempestuous relationship with Matt Murdock will form the unforgettable backdrop to DD’s war against the Kingpin! Collecting DAREDEVIL (1964) #159-172 and material from BIZARRE ADVENTURES #25.
    368 PGS./Rated T …$75.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92927-5
    Trim size: 7 x 10
    MARVEL MASTERWORKS: DAREDEVIL VOL. 15 HC — VARIANT EDITION VOL. 307 (DM ONLY)
    368 PGS./Rated T …$75.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92928-2

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE UNCANNY X-MEN VOL. 13 HC
    Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT & ANN NOCENTI with BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH
    Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR. & ARTHUR ADAMS with BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH, RICK LEONARDI
    & JUNE BRIGMAN
    Cover by RICK LEONARDI
    Chris Claremont and John Romita Jr. are joined by a host of all-star illustrators for a groundbreaking X-Men Masterworks! It’s all in the family for Cyclops as his son Nathan Summers — later known as Cable — is born, and his “Days of Future Past” daughter Rachel comes to terms with her Phoenix Force powers! Storm duels Cyclops for team leadership as the threat of the Beyonder looms, Nightcrawler takes a solo turn in an adventure beautifully drawn by June Brigman, and Barry Windsor-Smith crafts a brutal Wolverine tale. And a showdown between Wolverine and Phoenix presages war with the Hellfire Club and Nimrod! Plus: Ann Nocenti and Arthur Adams’ quintessentially ’80s limited series introducing the dimension-spanning adventurer and future X-Man Longshot is restored for the Masterworks! Collecting UNCANNY X-MEN (1981) #201-209, LONGSHOT #1-6 and material from MARVEL FANFARE (1982) #33.
    496 PGS./Rated T …$100.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92945-9
    MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE UNCANNY X-MEN VOL. 13 HC — VARIANT EDITION VOL. 308 (DM ONLY)
    496 PGS./Rated T …$100.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92946-6

SPIDER-GWEN OMNIBUS
    Written by JASON LATOUR, HANNAH BLUMENREICH, TOM TAYLOR, ROBBIE THOMPSON, DENNIS HOPELESS
    & BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    Penciled by ROBBI RODRIGUEZ, CHRIS VISIONS, BENGAL, HANNAH BLUMENREICH, OLIVIA MARGRAF, MARCIO TAKARA, VANESA R. DEL REY, TANA FORD, JOELLE JONES, NICO LEON, SARA PICHELLI & MORE
    COVERS BY ROBBI RODRIGUEZ & NICK BRADSHAW
    Out of the Spider-Verse, Gwen Stacy swings into action as the Spider-Woman of Earth-65 — a neighborhood like no other! Gwen balances super hero life with being the daughter of a cop — and playing drums in up-and-coming band, the Mary Janes! And you won’t believe her reality’s versions of the Lizard, the Osborns, Matt Murdock, Captain America, Frank Castle and more! The dimension-hopping Gwen joins a team-up of Spider-Women, and sparks fly when she meets Miles Morales! But troubles mount up at home, where she becomes S.H.I.E.L.D.’s most wanted — and problems with her powers lead to the introduction of Earth-65’s Venom! Experience Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez’s complete, world-building run! Collecting EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2, SPIDER-GWEN (2015A) #1-5, SPIDER-GWEN (2015B) #1-34, SPIDER-GWEN ANNUAL #1, ALL-NEW WOLVERINE ANNUAL #1, SPIDER-WOMEN ALPHA and OMEGA, SILK (2015B) #7-8, SPIDER-WOMAN (2015) #6-7 and SPIDER-MAN (2016) #12-14.
    1224 PGS./Rated T+ …$125.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93038-7
    Trim size: 7-1/4 x 10-7/8

X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE OMNIBUS (3rd PRINTING)
    Written by SCOTT LOBDELL, MARK WAID, FABIAN NICIEZA, JEPH LOEB, LARRY HAMA, JOHN FRANCIS MOORE, WARREN ELLIS
    & HOWARD MACKIE
    Penciled by ROGER CRUZ, ANDY KUBERT, STEVE EPTING, CHRIS BACHALO, JOE MADUREIRA, ADAM KUBERT, STEVE SKROCE, KEN LASHLEY, TONY DANIEL, SALVADOR LARROCA & MORE
    Covers by BILLY TAN & JOE MADUREIRA
    ON SALE JUNE 2021
    Charles Xavier is dead — killed in the past during a time-travel accident — and without his dream, the present has become a nightmare! Apocalypse rules with an iron fist, ruthlessly enforcing his “survival of the fittest” creed…but hidden among a downtrodden humankind are Magneto’s ragtag freedom fighters: the X-Men! When Bishop, last survivor of the true Marvel Universe, explains how the world went wrong, these embittered mutants must risk everything — and undertake a dangerous and complex quest — to put things right! Collecting UNCANNY X-MEN (1981) #320-321, X-MEN (1991) #40-41, CABLE (1993) #20, X-MEN ALPHA and OMEGA, AMAZING X-MEN (1995) #1-4, ASTONISHING X-MEN (1995) #1-4, FACTOR X #1-4, GAMBIT & THE X-TERNALS #1-4, GENERATION NEXT #1-4, WEAPON X (1995) #1-4, X-CALIBRE #1-4, X-MAN #1-4, AGE OF APOCALYPSE: THE CHOSEN and X-MEN ASHCAN #2.
    1072 PGS./Rated T …$125.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93002-8

X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE COMPANION OMNIBUS (2nd PRINTING)
    Written by HOWARD MACKIE, SCOTT LOBDELL, RALPH MACCHIO, JOHN FRANCIS MOORE, BRIAN K. VAUGHAN, TERRY KAVANAGH, JUDD WINICK, TONY BEDARD, MARIANO NICIEZA, RICK REMENDER & MORE
    Penciled by TERRY DODSON, IAN CHURCHILL, JOE BENNETT, STEVE EPTING, NICK NAPOLITANO, ROGER CRUZ, LUKE ROSS, TREVOR MCCARTHY, CARLOS PACHECO, JIM CALAFIORE, CHRIS BACHALO, HECTOR GOMEZ, KEVIN HOPGOOD, DAVE WILKINS & MORE
    Covers by ADAM KUBERT & BRYAN HITCH
    ON SALE JUNE 2021
    It’s a return trip to the dark, dystopian Age of Apocalypse! Untold tales of Apocalypse’s rise to power and the beginning of the X-Men’s underground resistance! Blink’s extradimensional exploits! The desperate struggle of Earth’s remaining non-mutant heroes! And after Apocalypse’s defeat, a deeply scarred Earth tries to rebuild…but some of the AoA’s most powerful mutants have escaped into the Marvel Universe! All the orphaned AoA adventures are collected in one oversize volume! Collecting X-MEN CHRONICLES #1-2, TALES FROM THE AGE OF APOCALYPSE #1-2, X-MAN #-1 and #53-54, BLINK #1-4, X-UNIVERSE #1-2, EXILES (2001) #60-61, X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE #1-6 and ONE-SHOT, WHAT IF? (1989) #77 and #81 and WHAT IF? X-MEN: AGE OF APOCALYPSE — plus material from HULK: BROKEN WORLDS #2, X-MAN ANNUAL ’96, OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE: AGE OF APOCALYPSE 2005 and AGE OF APOCALYPSE subplot pages.
    992 PGS./Rated T …$125.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93000-4

Hmmm... I have the Premier Classic HC that collects Longshot 1-6 - I wonder how the Masterworks edition will differ.
    Regardless, I'm holding off until Uncanny Omnibus 5 that should collect that as well.