Page 353 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 2533033433493503513523533543553563573634034538531353 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,295 of 20754

I'm interested in that Gambit and Rogue book. I don't have any of those previous collections (indeed, I decided not to buy the Gambit Classic Volume 1 digital file when it was on sale recently on Comixology), and I've been on a 90s X-Men kick lately. Might be fun.

This is people's hard earned money. I dont see anything wrong with wanting an opinion from like minded individuals. Especially if you 0 knowledge of the material you're inquiring about. Dont see the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    8 issues? $35? Is that the thing now, or is that a Deadpool tax?
    Deadpool has been doing a lot of those oversized special issues. There's at least one in this (without checking) and I wouldn't be surprised if it contains the translated version of 3.1 as well, otherwise it'd be thrown in a later volume which would make no sense.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by World1 View Post
    This is people's hard earned money. I dont see anything wrong with wanting an opinion from like minded individuals. Especially if you 0 knowledge of the material you're inquiring about. Dont see the big deal.
    I don't think anyone is saying not to seek advice or recommendations, but instead to remember that these are opinions and peoples tastes and opinions are purely subjective. One persons absolute turd could be another's favorite storyline ever. Also I think a main point was if you provide advice to someone elaborate don't just say "it sucks avoid" or "greatest story ever all should read it" provide some background to the opinion, perhaps what makes it terrible/great to you could not matter to another. How do you know if someone is "like minded" if they can't provide arguments for their opinion. Balakin put together a great post about this in the General thread in response to someone asking about which is better Animal Man by Morrison or X-Men by Claremont.

Edit: Sorry it was Pete Wisdom this thread with good points. Balakin had a great example of providing thought to his opinion in that post.
    Last edited by Brewman; 06-22-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Thanks to all who said really nice stuff about my two week series that annotated the Marvel's Most-Wanted Omnibus list with tons of details. Here's a post with the full list that links to all of the posts in the series. Major ultra special shout-out to GrahamGG, who saved me from hours of researching Hulk comics I knew nothing about.

To give it a proper epilogue, yesterday I posted the third-longest single post of all fifteen years of my blog looking at 50 more omnibus-worthy runs that I hope people vote for next year. It includes a lot of more obscure favorites of many folks here. And Dazzler, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I can't agree with you more. I wonder how many people read something, enjoy, but then go online to see that a lot of people hated it so then they change their minds. I know i've done it partially. Sometimes i'll avoid reviews on stuff i've enjoyed, just seeing someone point out flaws that i didn't realize (every book has them) can kind of ruin my enjoyment a little bit.
    While I certainly value opinions of colleagues, peers, and strangers to help me understand what I should sample, I've learned that in the modern world of Marvel sometimes I need to run directly towards the things people say aren't worth reading.

Just in researching my last post about runs deserving an omnibus, I remembered so many titles that have been slept on or even slagged by a general audience that I loved unconditionally.

Shadowland and Fear Itself are the perfect examples of this for me. Both are decent, well-executed stories with plenty of enjoyable parts. Neither of them lived up to their hype or to the accomplishments of prior authors. Half a decade later and if you look up an opinion about them you're likely to hear they were abject failures and skip them altogether! I could go on about other little-read favorites of mine. When it comes down to it, a lot of Marvel's biggest fan favorites are relatively watered down runs compared to some of the better work that goes ignored. I'll just say one more word: Bendis.

At the same time, I've come to really trust the overall critical barometer of people who spend a lot of time participating in this thread. If five people show up and say a run isn't any good I'm not going to completely skip it, but it will have definitely dropped in my prioritization. I think that's largely because the interests and age range of this thread match my own much better than the MMW forums (which skew older) and Amazon reviews (which don't tend to be people as knowledgable as we are).
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    Big deal. Nobody makes a fuss if you don't like the taste of a certain food....(unless its chocolate..you may want to get yourself checked out if you dislike it :P)...I don't know why the mentality changes for artistic tastes. No amount of convincing is going to make me like pineapple lol.
    Go to hell! I hate chocolate! Just kidding. I like chocolate. Go to Heaven instead.

I really asked around, read reviews, and even waited 2 weeks after release, before I pulled the trigger on MOKFU. Like I said, I don't HATE it, but I don't really like it all that much based on what I've read so far. Apparently it gets better further into the series (aka content in the 2nd Omnibus). But based on what I've ready so far, I'm going to hold off on the 2nd volume for a while and definitely avoid the DHOKF Omnibus.

I've enjoyed lots of things based on other's recommendations before: Y the Last Man, Powers, Watchmen, Preacher, John's GL, Morrison's JLA, Ultimate Spidey, Walking Dead, some of Slott's Spidey, Fraction's X-Men run, and more. But there's also a ton I haven't: Anything non-JLA or All Star Superman by Morrison, pretty much anything post-1987 by Frank Miller, anything by Jason Aaron, etc.

Like you said tastes are subjective. But don't let that stop anyone from asking for other's opinions. You might find something you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    8 issues? $35? Is that the thing now, or is that a Deadpool tax?
    Bah! Back in my day you could get a copy of New Mutants #98 for a whole dollar!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Thanks to all who said really nice stuff about my two week series that annotated the Marvel's Most-Wanted Omnibus list with tons of details. Here's a post with the full list that links to all of the posts in the series. Major ultra special shout-out to GrahamGG, who saved me from hours of researching Hulk comics I knew nothing about.
    Whee! Anytime! Everybody has their thing. Sports trivia, history, etc. Mine's obscure Hulk info from back in the day.

Very awesome Krisis! I have spent hours going through your reading lists and organizing my own collection. Very thankful !!!

Spectacular Member

image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Bah! Back in my day you could get a copy of New Mutants #98 for a whole dollar!
    Haha. 10 char.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    and that's why people should
    a.) when they ask if they will like something maybe specify what books they usually like so we can compare your taste to the book you are asking about
    b.) the people who answer maybe elaborate on their opinion and not just say "it's a turd, avoid like plague".
    I let grahamgg's previous post speak for me.

Quote Originally Posted by World1 View Post
    There's nothing wrong. Just like there's nothing wrong if you don't want to elaborate. If you want to say it sucks and that's how you feel do so. If someone wants to follow up with you about it, they can.

I've read a ****-ton of Marvel and DC comics in my life, so I'm pretty picky when it comes to the writing.

To give it a proper epilogue, yesterday I posted the third-longest single post of all fifteen years of my blog looking at 50 more omnibus-worthy runs that I hope people vote for next year.
    Wow, dude. Above & beyond. This is incredible stuff.

Books that would be must-buys, and I'd love to see, for me from this list:
    - Black Panther
    - Mutant X
    - Dr. Strange Sorcerer Supreme
    - Uncanny by Fraction and Bru

Probably pile:
    - Thor by Jurgens
    - Uncanny by Gillen

To give it a proper epilogue, yesterday I posted the third-longest single post of all fifteen years of my blog looking at 50 more omnibus-worthy runs that I hope people vote for next year. It includes a lot of more obscure favorites of many folks here. And Dazzler, of course..
    Thanks a lot! My english is so/so, but I'm having a great time with your selection!

Glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks Moon Knight by Huston, Benson, & Hurwitz (2006 – 2011) feels incomplete without Vengeance of the Moon Knight and Shadowland.
    Moon Knight is one of the few Marvel books i bought softcover (all the TPBs) and I loved the run. Vengeance and Shadowland are a differenth rythm (and not as dark) but they make "closure".
    I'd double dip on any MK Omnibus !

The 1st team of X-Factor and the 90's Peter David run were requested in the survey (and we already agree 90's by Peter David Government Team should be added with the J. M. DeMatteis volumes) but you say the other volumes on the series should be collected (including the Mutant X "sequel" )?
    I'm very curious now! I only know the stories from 90's releases (in portuguese) up to the mystique stories...

Besides these 3 i'd buy for sure: New X-Men Academy + Ghost Rider: Danny Ketch + Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction & Ed Brubaker + UXM by Kieron Gillen + Punisher by Greg Rucka

also very curious with: Dazzler and Captain Marvel by Peter David, but if Marvel doesn't Omnify the Hulk by PD what are the chances of the Captain Marvel when most of us think Mar-Vell or Carol?

1 miss: no X-Men: Legacy by Mike Carey Omnibus?
    (would it crossover with Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction & Ed Brubaker ?)

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I appreciate the feedback, I didn't get the DHOKF but I still want it, and I was hoping it was an acclaimed run, especially because Moench had a Batman run that was pretty well liked.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oberatixx View Post
    Just curious, has anyone purchased the John Byrne omnibus? Was wondering if it's worth picking up. I'm not familiar with the material he's worked on so I'm on the fence.
    Here's a picture of the issues included...

image.jpg

When clearing my PM inbox, I saw my votes on that omnibus page. I laughed because of how few books I voted for made it onto the list. I assume because my tastes are weird lol.

Books I voted for that didn't make the cut:

1- New X-Men by DeFilippis and Weir (New Mutants 1-13; New X-Men 1-19; New X-Men Academy X Yearbook)
    3- Excalibur by Warren Ellis (contents of Excalibur Visionaries: Warren Ellis Volumes 1-3)
    5- Ms. Marvel (original series; essentially the contents of the MMWs or of Essential Ms. Marvel)
    7- X-23 by Marjorie Liu (X-23 Vol 3 1-21 and relevant crossover issues)
    8- Cable (essentially the contents of Cable Classic Volumes 1-3)
    9- Nightcrawler (both miniseries and both maxiseries; about 32 issues)

Did anyone else have anything they voted for that didn't make the cut? I'm curious to see how wide-ranging our tastes are.

EDIT: I'm very happy that items 1, 5, 7, and 8 on the above list are on krisis's blog post!
    Last edited by Taral-DLOS; 06-23-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

To give it a proper epilogue, yesterday I posted the third-longest single post of all fifteen years of my blog looking at 50 more omnibus-worthy runs that I hope people vote for next year. It includes a lot of more obscure favorites of many folks here. And Dazzler, of course.
    Great blog post again.

The ones I've also thought of and would be instant buys from me:
    Ant-Man/Giant Man (the fact you lead with this one thrilled me a bit I confess since it's not alphabetical)
    Black Panther '66 - '69
    Luke Cage '72-'78
    Nova '76-'79
    Spider-woman (those MMW gotta be getting us to one of these, right?!)
    Savage She-Hulk
    Cloak & Dagger '85-'88 (YESYESYESYESYESYES)
    Doctor Strange '88-'91 ( a few years ago I found a full run of this series, 90+issues, in bags/boards in $.50 boxes at a convention, snapped them all up)
    Ghost Rider Danny Ketch (hopefully those fuller,thicker TPB's are possibly building to an Omni?)
    Captain America by Mark Waid
    Black Widow '99-'11 (you put in some issues I'd forgotten about, well done!)
    Moon Knight '06-'11 (I really want those recent Epics of the Moench era Omni'd first but I'll take this if it shows)
    Daredevil the Shadowland era (I agree, like the 90's Clone Saga, this gets a bad rap in too many circles)
    Punisher by Rucka (I like the idea of putting Trial in there as well. What about Nightmare the 5 issue mini? too much, disjointed?)
    Superior Spider-man
    Black Widow by Edmondson

Ones I'd not thought of but would heavily consider:
    Namor '61-'69
    Invaders
    Ka-Zar the Savage
    Secret Avengers
    X-23
    Ms.Marvel by Brian Reed '06-'10

I really enjoy your blog and efforts!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime