Page 730 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2306306807207267277287297307317327337347407808301230 ... LastLast
Results 10,936 to 10,950 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by coreycwheat View Post
    Classic X-Men, worth it? I have most other X-Men ominibi, just on the fence about this one.
    Jeph York has this to say on the MMW boards:

"For those curious about the layout, each Classic X-Men issue is presented like this:

On facing pages: the cover of the original Uncanny X-Men issue being reprinted/updated, and the cover of the corresponding Classic X-Men issue. (Example: X-Men #94 on the left, Classic X-Men #2 on the right.)

Under the UXM cover is a paragraph summarizing the issue's story, to give context to the new CX story pages that were inserted into it. Then a shorter paragraph talking about the added pages -- where they fit, why they were inserted, what they alter/update, etc. Then a quick description of the CX issue's backup story, and where it fits into UXM continuity.

Turn the page, and you get the CX issue's inside-cover frontispiece. That's followed by the new story pages that were inserted into the UXM issue.

Right after the new story pages, are excerpted **panels** from the CX issue -- any panels that contained a major change to art or dialogue. Those single panels are presented next to the original UXM panels, to better illustrate the change. There are occasional notes explaining why a change was made, but for the most part it's just obvious dialogue tweaks or mistake fixes.

After that comes the CX issue's back-cover pinup, which here serves as a "cover" for the issue's backup story. The backup story follows the pinup -- and that's it! (If the issue contained any other pinups or extras, I ran those after the backup story, but those were rare.)

Wash, rinse and repeat for all of issues #1-44 -- after that, the backups ceased. But wait, there's more! Extras include:

Full-size cover gallery for Classic X-Men #45-110, plus any new pinups that were in the issues.
    Full-size cover gallery for other notable X-Men reprint series, like X-Men: The Early Years.
    Full-size cover/pinup gallery for books that reprinted CX backup stories, like X-Men Rarities, X-Men: Lost Tales, Sabretooth Classic, etc.

Any and all other X-Men reprint books that added new story pages to an original issue are included as well, with the covers and new pages laid out in the same fashion as the CX issues. Those include:

Amazing Adventures #1-14
    Marvel Triple Action #45
    X-Men Classics #1-3

There's also a passel of original art donated by Arthur Adams (a lot of it is tucked between issues as we were running short on space), including pencils for an unused cover to CX #1. And then there's the usual extras - recolored TPB covers, house ad, Claremont's intro from the old Vignettes TPB, etc etc. It's a hell of a package!

(Oh, and speaking of the Vignettes v1 TPB -- we junked the files and re-did the restoration for all those stories. They look a LOT better.)

This book was a massive, massive pain to put together, but I think it came out well -- and I hope you all enjoy it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I'm passing on it until it shows up on a clearance sale.

The Claremont back up stories usually tied into the action of the main UXM issue being reprinted. Having them separate from the original issues diminishes their impact. The backups from other writers are character side stories. It also has the revised pages that were placed in the reprint stories.

Overall, I would say that it is only for X-Men fans who need every story.
    I'm the same way. If it hits the bargain bin at a super cheap price, I'll pick it up. If not . . . not a big deal to me (although I'm glad they're doing something for the die-hards - now maybe we can get vol. 4).

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Jeph York has this to say on the MMW boards:

This book was a massive, massive pain to put together, but I think it came out well -- and I hope you all enjoy it!"
    Great work! Would be nice if they put the same effort into organizing cross-over event collections.
    Last edited by TomSlick; 12-12-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    Thanks for the link!
    Page 130 of the catalog didn't seem to download for me. There's a 9th Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide in the index and I was curious about its contents
    Yeah, same here. No page 130. I checked amazon and the Hachette webpage also but no joy.

Ok, so now that the contents for Hickmans Avengers vol.2 were released, the debate should be: do I buy the Secret Wars OHC or wait for an impending Omni?

(They pulled the same thing some years ago with Uncanny Avengers by not including Axis, which was the real culmination of the storyline that began with #1. From a sales point I get it, but as a fan I'm still amazed that they keep pulling this sort of thing on us)

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    Ok, so now that the contents for Hickmans Avengers vol.2 were released, the debate should be: do I buy the Secret Wars OHC or wait for an impending Omni?

(They pulled the same thing some years ago with Uncanny Avengers by not including Axis, which was the real culmination of the storyline that began with #1. From a sales point I get it, but as a fan I'm still amazed that they keep pulling this sort of thing on us)

There is no such thing as an "impending" omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    There is no such thing as an "impending" omnibus.
    Ignore my wishful thinking then But I sincerely hope the reason they kept Secret Wars out of the contents was because they'll eventually put an Omni with the 'complete' event, otherwise they just left a two-volume story in Omnibus format without its proper ending (four-volume, if you count his FF as part of the epic saga he crafted).

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    Ignore my wishful thinking then But I sincerely hope the reason they kept Secret Wars out of the contents was because they'll eventually put an Omni with the 'complete' event, otherwise they just left a two-volume story in Omnibus format without its proper ending (four-volume, if you count his FF as part of the epic saga he crafted).
    Marvel doesn't care.
    They get more money by requiring readers to buy the OHC.
    Will they do an omnibus? You never know. Maybe but it could take years and years.
    Look at Secret Invasion. It's just now getting one. Civil War and House of M got nice OHCs but no omnibus collection. Fear Itself (which was pretty horrible) didn't even get an OHC.
    I'd personally like a SW omni but with Marvel I never expect anything.
    Heck, they had a great chance to collect an Uncanny X-Men vol. 4 and instead we get some X-Men Classics BS that will no doubt find it's way into the bargain bin. Oh well.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Heck, they had a great chance to collect an Uncanny X-Men vol. 4 and instead we get some X-Men Classics BS that will no doubt find it's way into the bargain bin. Oh well.
    I think we will still get an eventual Uncanny X-Men Omni vol. 4; if Marvel's figured one thing out, it's that anything with a big ol' X on the cover is going to sell.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Marvel doesn't care.
    They get more money by requiring readers to buy the OHC.
    Will they do an omnibus? You never know. Maybe but it could take years and years.
    Look at Secret Invasion. It's just now getting one. Civil War and House of M got nice OHCs but no omnibus collection. Fear Itself (which was pretty horrible) didn't even get an OHC.
    I'd personally like a SW omni but with Marvel I never expect anything.
    Volume 4 is waiting on the Masterworks. Annoying, but it makes sense.

Now, the Dark Phoenix and Revolution Omnis are moronic, when they could be reprinting Inferno or making the Massacre/Fall connector book instead.
    Cyclops was right

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I'm passing on it until it shows up on a clearance sale.

The Claremont back up stories usually tied into the action of the main UXM issue being reprinted. Having them separate from the original issues diminishes their impact. The backups from other writers are character side stories. It also has the revised pages that were placed in the reprint stories.

Overall, I would say that it is only for X-Men fans who need every story.
    It seemed like a wait for bargain bin, I don't want to encourage them forgoing actual continuations of Uncanny X-Men omnis, also, thanks to the person who shared the layout of it, seems like an exhaustive process and great they did it, but, not completely necessary buy right away.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think we will still get an eventual Uncanny X-Men Omni vol. 4; if Marvel's figured one thing out, it's that anything with a big ol' X on the cover is going to sell.
    Agreed, but was hoping sooner rather than later

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Volume 4 is waiting on the Masterworks. Annoying, but it makes sense.

Now, the Dark Phoenix and Revolution Omnis are moronic, when they could be reprinting Inferno or making the Massacre/Fall connector book instead.
    See, I don't agree with this. There's plenty of collection that don't have Masterworks. I think that's just a sill rationale. (I'm not accusing you but rather Marvel if it is in fact the reason they wait.)

Yes to your second statement. a DP reprint is annoying.

Fantastic Member

Great work! Would be nice if they put the same effort into organizing cross-over event collections.
    They do. They just don't do personalized books for every buyer with the reading order that buyer wants.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    They do. They just don't do personalized books for every buyer with the reading order that buyer wants.
    Oh the day MARVEL start making it an option to order a print of the book you have put together yourself... MARVEL having a website where you pick your content, format, page size, binding etc.

I would start buying from that immediately :-)

Agreed, but was hoping sooner rather than later

See, I don't agree with this. There's plenty of collection that don't have Masterworks. I think that's just a sill rationale. (I'm not accusing you but rather Marvel if it is in fact the reason they wait.)

Yes to your second statement. a DP reprint is annoying.
    For other omnibuses sure but the classic SA (BA in the case of UXM) numbered omnibuses such as ASM, FF, etc. have always followed on after the Masterworks because they use the same files and are edited by the same person. For example, we didn't get UXM vol. 3 until after UXM MMW vol.9 was released.