Page 479 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 379429469475476477478479480481482483489529579979 ... LastLast
Results 7,171 to 7,185 of 20754
    Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I've as many space concerns as any avid collector. I've posted pics of my four fullsize bookshelves that are now overflowing into plastic bins in the closet. I'd gladly give up 30% of my collection if it meant getting high quality books like the IDW New Mutants slipcase I picked up the other month. Thick paper and quality casewrap--its just the opposite philosophy of the Marvel Collected Editions department where cutting corners and raising prices is the name of the game. Hell, I'll never be able to reread all the books I own, so I'd be better off with fewer books of higher quality that'll stand multiple readings.
    Yeah, I imagine that NM slipcase is pretty nice. I'm holding out for the eventual omnis. But at least we agree on the price thing. Thinner paper should equate to lower costs, not the opposite.

Incredible Member

Just bought my first 2 masterworks (Warlock 1 & 2) at a LCS. Why do I do this to myself and my wallet, because of course now I am looking at the Inhumans, Captain Marvel, Defenders....
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two (aside fr. the diff. covers)?:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/087...A2QKXX3A8LM3ZU

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/078...A1XH3YUB6951NO

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    Can anyone tell me the difference between these two (aside fr. the diff. covers)?:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/087...A2QKXX3A8LM3ZU

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/078...A1XH3YUB6951NO
    They have the same contents. I'm not fluent in when each level of remastering was done on the early MWM books, but it's possible the 2003 edition has slightly cleaner linework or colors. You can see on Wikipedia that those early 1989 editions were the first reissues with the Silver Jackets in 2003. However, just to keep things confusing, the 2003 reissues had variants that looked like the 1989 versions!

Let me know if I can clarify further for you.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    They have the same contents. I'm not fluent in when each level of remastering was done on the early MWM books, but it's possible the 2003 edition has slightly cleaner linework or colors. You can see on Wikipedia that those early 1989 editions were the first reissues with the Silver Jackets in 2003. However, just to keep things confusing, the 2003 reissues had variants that looked like the 1989 versions!

Let me know if I can clarify further for you.
    I'm sure those editions have the same remastering as the Barnes and Noble Edition trades from around that same time period.

So, are they essentially the same quality wise (e.g., sewn, paper, and the like)?
    Last edited by DantonR; 11-20-2016 at 06:38 PM.

So, are they essentially the same quality wise (e.g., sewn, paper, and the like)?
    You new to go ask the guys over on the MMW MB. They can probably tell you page by page what's different. From the late 80s to the present there have been several different printings. The originals were glued bindings, and the art restoration and coloring has been redone a few times.

Just need Vols 1 and 8 to complete the series so far. Sure the cover will be different fr. the others but I don't really care about that.

Glued binding though...That gives me pause.

Just need Vols 1 and 8 to complete the series so far. Sure the cover will be different fr. the others but I don't really care about that.

The glued-bindings on the MMW hardcovers are much better quality than a trade paperback or omnibus. Most Uncanny X-Men (Hell, most MMWs) are available in sewn-binding with the exception of volume 5.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Alright you guys convinced me I just ordered it. I've been out of the game for a fee months due to finances but I'm happy I decided to check ist and saw it before I had missed out. Thanks for the help!
    I'll chime in with my opinion, ASM Vol II is probably my favorite Omnibus content wise (with the Brubaker Cap Omnis & Stern Spidey Omnibus a close second). To me, the issues contained in Vol II are the ones that really nailed down the character for me, plus Romita's art is my personal favorite for Spidey! Hope you enjoy it

The original printings from the late 80s were actually quite good. The glued bindings are OK and do not hinder the reading experience. Also the pages are the thick-weight, archival type paper.

The only drawback of the original MMW printings, from a purist standpoint, is that sometimes the colors do not exactly match the original comics' coloring. For example, you might have a panel showing all the background characters colored a flat red in the original comic. In the MMW 1st printings, those figures may be colored green & blue, or something like that. However, in my opinion the MMW 1st printings is in some cases superior to the original comic coloring. I don't mean that like they're using modern coloring techniques like shading or gradients, just that they updated the original colors. Some of the guys over on the MMW MB believe this was some kind of blasphemy and only want the original issues published in their original format, identical to original release. Such minutiae particularly doesn't bother me.

I have two original MMW printings in my collection: The first Hulk volume from 1989 and the first Spidey volume from 1987. The others are all from the "back to press era" from 2003 to present. The only MMW versions you really want to shy away from are the late 1990s "comicraft" era editions with gaudy pop-art style dust jackets. Those feature horrible art restoration and coloring in my opinion. I had a Spidey volume from that era, but sold it because it stuck out like a sore thumb from the others and the artwork was so poorly reconstructed in some cases it was a distraction to the reading experience.

Hope this helps.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Caveat: This is self-promotional, but I've also kept a chunk of it it on topic! (Mods, if there's an issue, I'm happy to edit.)

I'm not sure how many of you read my blog in addition to using the Crushing Comics guides linked in my sig, so you may have not seen that I launched a Patreon campaign for my blog this month to help cover hosting and other expenses it takes to keep my comic guides up and running.

That's a big part of why I've been quieter around these parts lately - the launch has been a big job! I've written over 100k words for it so far (the equivalent of two short paperback books).

As part of my big launch of the campaign I have been blogging full time this month and about half of that has been about comics. Each week I've launched a new comic guide that will be Patrons-only for a month before it goes public paired with blog posts

I'll tackle my last weekly guide on Sunday (right now, Magneto leads in votes from Patrons). That's in addition to recent guides you might not have noticed yet, like Inhumans, Thanos, and a standalone Cable guide).

And, off-topic for us, I've been reading and recapping every book from the original 1990s WildStorm Universe daily. I'm also sharing some behind-the-scenes content on Patreon - specifically, a breakdown of the costs of CK and how (and why) my traffic exploded in 2014.

All of this was inspired in part by how much fun it was to write about Marvel's Most-Wanted Omnibuses for you all back in June. Eventually, my daily comic content will be about Marvel stories and collected editions, but I want to experiment with it a bit before I tackle something close to my heart like The X-Men

I hope some of that stuff is interesting to you, and I'll be sure to announce here when my newest guides change from Patrons-Only to available-to-everyone.
    Last edited by krisis; 11-21-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

All-New Member

Just in case anyone missed out before, IST has more of the Shang-Chi Master of Kung Fu volume 2 DM covers in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by epyon3245234 View Post
    Just in case anyone missed out before, IST has more of the Shang-Chi Master of Kung Fu volume 2 DM covers in stock.
    Save your money! Or if you must burn it, just go out in the yard and light it on fire. You'll be better off than buying that turd.