Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
So the material in the Silver Age Cap Omnibus that was just reprinted - is it really notable or essential in any way? Like the silver age Fantastic Four and Spider-Man Omnibuses get a lot of praise. Some say Fantastic Four is the "Great American Novel." Those two titles seem like they're also very important in just a historical context for Marvel and worth working through even if someone isn't a fan of the silver age writing style. But does Cap fit that mold, or is it something that, unless you're a huge fan of the character, you should skip?
I really enjoyed it, but it's not on the level of Fantastic Four or Spider-man. I don't think it's essential reading for Marvel the way those two are. It's just good Captain America comics with him fighting AIM and Hydra, MODOK etc. Agent 13 gets introduced and starts a classic Cap storyline about her. Lots of great art from Kirby and Steranko. The very beginning is a bit dull as it seems Lee & co weren't quite sure what to do with Cap on his own, away from the Avengers. Then they dabble in telling stories about him and Bucky fighting during the war instead of stories set in the present day of the 1960s, and those stories are dire, but I think there's only about five of them, and after they're over the book starts to get good. If anyone stops reading there, they're missing out!

Overall, Silver Age Cap gets good much quicker than Iron Man and Thor (Thor takes the longest). Fantastic Four and Spider-man start off good. Ant-Man is never exactly good but I still enjoyed his epic collection for what it was. X-Men I can't be objective about enough to evaluate, the characters are too close to me. I haven't read Hulk or Namor or Shield or Avengers or Daredevil or anything else yet, but soon, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by squashmaster View Post
So it looks like I done held out too long on the IG omni. It's starting to get those ridiculous prices that out of print Marvel omnis tend to get.

So my question is, should I just buy a copy from CheapGNs now for $150, or wait on the inevitable reprint coming in 2018 before the Infinity War movies come out? Is this entirely a personal value call?

I guess "Is its reprint inevitable?" is a better question.
I'd lay good money on a reprint happening based on AoA just having received one, but I don't advise you wait. If it doesn't happen those prices could double by the time the film comes out. If you really want it, I'd bite the bullet and pony up.