Page 874 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 3747748248648708718728738748758768778788849249741374 ... LastLast
Results 13,096 to 13,110 of 20742
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Any thoughts on the Heroes Reborn Thor Omnibus by Dan Jurgens? I love Romita's art and I am a huge Thor fan but have skipped this whole run.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Any thoughts on the Heroes Reborn Thor Omnibus by Dan Jurgens? I love Romita's art and I am a huge Thor fan but have skipped this whole run.
    I can't comment on the book itself, since I don't have the omni, but I do have the singles and the original trades. While it starts out as pretty standard fare - good, not great - it gets much better in the back half. The final arc isn't written by Jurgens himself, but it wraps up his plots nicely. Overall it's probably one of my favorite Thor runs.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrain89 View Post
    So I've been wanting to read Hickman's run on The Avengers for a few months now. Obviously Infinity and Secret Wars are already collected in TPBs as is the rest of the run but what are the odds of the run being collected in larger TPBs. I mean I'll buy them as is but I'd rather have the option of buying fewer books, you know what I mean? Thanks!

And yes, I will also be checking out his Fantastic Four run as well.
    I would say the odds are HIGH we will get a 'complete collection' of his Avengers run. But, since we already had PHCs, small TPBs, OHCs, and now two omnis, it'll probably be a year or so before they do it. This seems to be Marvel's plan nowadays for BIG runs. Release them as usual as small trades and HCs as they come out, and if they're really popular get them in OHCs and/or omnibuses sooner or later, and then down the road release them in a series of larger complete collection trades. This Avengers run will be loosely similar to Bendis' complete collection trades, in that it will take like 5-6 of them, I would assume. And it'll not include Infinity nor Secret Wars, because they're available elsewhere. they did that with the Bendis ones, even though Civil War and especially Secret Invasion and Siege were so damn central to those stories, they didn't include them in the complete collection trades.

With Hickman, where Infinity folded into his Avengers series' so intertwined, I suppose they might do it differently, but they could just include New and std. Avengers stories and have splash pages review everything you missed from Infinity issues- depends how they want to do it.

But yes, it's my opinion these will see the light of day, but it might be a year or so. Be patient, feels like everything will get released eventually, and possibly in the format you want it in, if you wait long enough. ;-)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Default Marvel Collected Editions Sales - August 2018

The complete estimated comic book sales figures for August 2018 are in (please note this list only details those comics sold to North American Comics Shops as reported by Diamond). I’ve listed below the Marvel OHC/Omnibus/MMW’s as well as the larger TPB collections such as the Epic and Complete lines that made the list, detailing the position, title and estimated sales. I haven’t included any reentries.

18. Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection Vol. 18 : Venom - 2,486
    42. Fantastic Four Epic Collection Vol. 18: The Coming of Galactus - 1,633
    49. Punisher Max by Garth Ennis Omnibus Vol. 2 - 1,523
    56. Venom: Along Came a Spider TPB - 1,431
    63. Spider-Man Kraven’s Last Hunt Deluxe Edition OHC - 1,303
    73. Fantastic Four by Hickman: The Complete Collection Vol. 1 - 1,206
    81. Marvel Two In One Epic Collection Vol. 1: Cry Monster - 1,122
    89. X-Men Revolution by Chris Claremont Omnibus - 1,058
    92. Marvel Masterworks Incredible Hulk HC Vol. 12 - 1,031
    95. Superior Spider-Man: The Complete Collection Vol. 2 - 1,017
    103. Fantastic Four Behold Galactus OHC - 986
    118. X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga Omnibus - 903
    121. Captain Marvel: Carol Danvers - The Ms. Marvel Years Vol. 2 TPB - 882
    125. Marvel Legacy TPB - 839
    136. Defenders Epic Collection Vol. 8: The New Defenders - 804
    149. Deadpool By Posehn & Duggan: The Complete Collection Vol. 4 - 751
    150. Cloak and Dagger: Predator and Prey TPB - 749
    158. The Human Torch and The Thing Strange Tales: The Complete Collection - 719
    195. Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 1 (2nd Printing) - 604
    197. Jack Kirby Marvel Heroes & Monsters Artist Ed HC (IDW) - 601
    200. Heroes Reborn: Fantastic Four TPB (New Printing) - 586
    208. Hulk by Mark Waid and Gerry Duggan: The Complete Collection - 552
    212. Avengers Arena: The Complete Collection - 547
    213. The Thing and The Human Torch by Dan Slott TPB - 541
    219. Deadpool By Daniel Way Omnibus Vol. 2 - 533
    248. Fantastic Four: World’s Greatest Comics Magazine TPB - 484
    249. Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol. 1 (4th Printing) - 482
    311. Guardians of the Galaxy OHC Vol. 5 - 396
    355. New Warriors: Darkness & Light TPB - 359
    366. Deadpool: The World’s Greatest OHC Vol. 5 - 349

DC's Omnibus figures:
    Seven Soldiers by Grant Morrison Omnibus - 1,126; New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 3 - 673; Batman 66 Omnibus - 514; Batman Brave & The Bold Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 2 - 391

Astonishing Member

I'm glad the Epic collections for Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and Marvel 2 in 1 are selling well. Defenders Epic seems low to me. I really want them to finish the original series and collect the Busiek/Larsen series after that.

But New Warriors hurts. I really want to see the original series and spin offs collected in full.

Extraordinary Member

I like the run, and it's fun to read from beginning to end because it shows how much Marvel changed during this period. Originally it was part of the "Heroes Return" launch that included Busiek's Avengers, so it's very festive, very old-school, but with some things changed (mainly Thor getting a new alter ego).

Then there's a Thanos story that is also old-school but with a lot more carnage than the Silver Age would have allowed, much like the Avengers "Ultron Unlimited."

Then after Joe Quesada takes over as editor-in-chief, the run slowly begins to darken and become more modern. Most of this happens in the second Heroes Return omnibus coming out later this year. First the coloring becomes more realistic, then the thought balloons disappear, and eventually the Asgardians stop talking in "thee" and "thou" Stan Lee speak. The last years of the run, which are often considered the best (they're certainly the darkest) tell a big sweeping story about abuse of power that is very much the kind of thing you expect from comics in the post-9/11 era.

But throughout the whole run Jurgens continues to return to certain themes and the characters he created for the run like Jake Olson and Tarene, so there is a unity to the run, it's just that we see the huge changes in Marvel comics playing themselves out against the backdrop of the run.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Thanks so much for the thoughts on Jurgen's Thor run. I didn't think I was a Jurgens fan, but his recent Superman stuff has been on the money. Does Romita do all the art? I think there was a new cosmic pantheon of villains? I liked heroes reborn Iron Man, but I don't think I have reread it. I of course loved Busiek Perez Avengers.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks so much for the thoughts on Jurgen's Thor run. I didn't think I was a Jurgens fan, but his recent Superman stuff has been on the money. Does Romita do all the art? I think there was a new cosmic pantheon of villains? I liked heroes reborn Iron Man, but I don't think I have reread it. I of course loved Busiek Perez Avengers.
    No, Romita left after 25 issues. They then did a few issues with Erik Larsen and then Andy Kubert takes over for a while, then there are a bunch of rotating artists. So Romita does most of the art in the first omnbus and then after that it's kind of a free-for-all.

The main arc of the first year of the run is about the "Dark Gods," who are a bunch of new characters who are basically the evil equivalent of the Asgardians. After that the villains are more standard. The Thanos story is a team-up between Thanos and the Thor villain Mangog, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense but Romita enjoys drawing them.

Anyone have any idea of how much time has been passing between releases of Amazing Spider-Man Epics?

I just finished Goblin's Last Stand (volume 7) and really want to continue reading, but have no options as the next volume in the line is 15.

Has there been any solicited after this latest release of Venom (volume 18)?

Or better yet, when are we getting the 4th Omnibus

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Or better yet, when are we getting the 4th Omnibus
    I don't have my Magic-8 ball in front of me, but I would say after Avengers breaking the "4th volume barrier", that this is a 100%, guaranteed LOCK. It's just WHEN, not IF.
    They have so much done via MMWs they could crank out several more omnis if they liked.

*this is where other titles can run into trouble - Like Uncanny can't release omnibus 4 until they get through a couple more MMWs, so that's a few years away, although I would say that title's a lock for a 4th omni as well.

Back to main question, with so much of Spidey MMW'd and so much of it OOP for a long time, they could easily continue on from Goblin's Last Stand and not have to worry about stealing volume from other in-print titles. So ideally there'll be something else earlier coming soon on the horizon.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I don't have my Magic-8 ball in front of me, but I would say after Avengers breaking the "4th volume barrier", that this is a 100%, guaranteed LOCK. It's just WHEN, not IF.
    They have so much done via MMWs they could crank out several more omnis if they liked.

*this is where other titles can run into trouble - Like Uncanny can't release omnibus 4 until they get through a couple more MMWs, so that's a few years away, although I would say that title's a lock for a 4th omni as well.

Back to main question, with so much of Spidey MMW'd and so much of it OOP for a long time, they could easily continue on from Goblin's Last Stand and not have to worry about stealing volume from other in-print titles. So ideally there'll be something else earlier coming soon on the horizon.
    Thanks for the insight! With the next Spider-Man movie releasing next year, hopefully we will see the 4th omni solicited sooner rather than later.

Incredible Member

Wow, looks like Hickman's Avengers omnibus went the way of Remender Uncanny X-Force. Looks like it sold out and shot up in price quite quickly.

Hell, if anyone wants to buy mine, I'm in the bay area, and will gladly sell it to you if you want to pick it up. Here's hoping both it and X-Force get a reprint though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Thanks for the insight! With the next Spider-Man movie releasing next year, hopefully we will see the 4th omni solicited sooner rather than later.
    Lets be greedy........
    I want Amazing Spider-Man omnibus vol.4
    and Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Omnibus vol.1
    and than a few more before things get hairy with crossovers and
    Web Of Spider-Man dropped in later.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Lets be greedy........
    Yes, Spidey is like X-Men, where you go so far and then it's gets pretty bonkers with non-stop crossovers and arcs spanning several titles, etc... But that's still a few years off.

Slightly off-topic, I wonder the following for Captain America:

They could release Omnibus 3 now, and that would take it up to the Kirby omnibus material. Perfect / clean break.
    But, once they get the next MMW or two done, will they release the newly minted MMWs as "omnibus 4", thereby replacing the old "kirby Cap" omnibus? My gut says yes, for several reasons, including volume regularity, but mostly due to newly (or soon to be) restored files. So for those who already have the Kirby Cap omni, it will be up to them to "upgrade" and flip the old omni, keep both, etc... But who knows, Marvel might not reissue a new version at all. First we need vol 3, I suppose...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Lets be greedy........
    Now that they started PPtSSM as a Masterwork I wouldn't hold my breath for an omni anytime soon. Count me in for ASM 4 though!!
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?