Page 399 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 299349389395396397398399400401402403409449499899 ... LastLast
Results 5,971 to 5,985 of 20773
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    I see that the original Thunderbolts keeps being published, does the material kinda hold up? I've never read it.
    Id say yes, at least for the first few arcs. It does start to drag after those, but then picks up again after #34 with new writer Fabian Nicieza. It does fall off a bit again when Nicieza seemed to fall in to a holding pattern, but his first few arcs and then his last few are very good.

So basically, it starts very strong under Busiek, drops off a bit, picks up under Nicieza, drops off in the middle of his huge run (34-109!) before getting stronger again from about 88 onwards.

Warren Ellis then comes in from 110 and writes a short run that I think is some of the best stuff, followed by Diggle, whose run I found very strong too through the Dark Reign period.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I see that the original Thunderbolts keeps being published, does the material kinda hold up? I've never read it.
    If you're a fan of "classic" Marvel you'll really enjoy this as it was one of the best books to come out during he Heroes Reborn / Return phase. It isn't the decompressed 6 issues for one story nor is it a done in one book as there is a big story being told. I personally loved it and am holding out for the Omnibus collection.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Id say yes, at least for the first few arcs. It does start to drag after those, but then picks up again after #34 with new writer Fabian Nicieza. It does fall off a bit again when Nicieza seemed to fall in to a holding pattern, but his first few arcs and then his last few are very good.

So basically, it starts very strong under Busiek, drops off a bit, picks up under Nicieza, drops off in the middle of his huge run (34-109!) before getting stronger again from about 88 onwards.

Warren Ellis then comes in from 110 and writes a short run that I think is some of the best stuff, followed by Diggle, whose run I found very strong too through the Dark Reign period.
    Is the drop off around the time of the leaderless Thundetbolts? As this was intentional. I found it really frustrating at the time but it paid off fantastically with the introduction of the new leader.

I have the first 3 classics as well as both volumes of Hawkeye & The T-Bolts...

I have enjoyed them very much and wish they would have released an omnibus instead of re-printing the classics.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

And after that is the fantastic Parker run
    Cyclops was right

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    If you're a fan of "classic" Marvel you'll really enjoy this as it was one of the best books to come out during he Heroes Reborn / Return phase. It isn't the decompressed 6 issues for one story nor is it a done in one book as there is a big story being told. I personally loved it and am holding out for the Omnibus collection.
    RE: Original 90's Thunderbolts
    It has a narrative structure known as the "long form story". Something that in today's era of start/stop/renumber a writer just can't plan for and today's readers are robbed of. Few exceptions exist, I can think of 4: Aaron's Thor, Waid's Daredevil, Spencer's Ant-Man and Allred's Silver Surfer the other 30+ titles end somewhere between 10-18 issues, most at 10-12 and that's just sad.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It has a narrative structure known as the "long form story". Something that in today's era of start/stop/renumber a writer just can't plan for and today's readers are robbed of. Few exceptions exist, I can think of 4: Aaron's Thor, Waid's Daredevil, Spencer's Ant-Man and Allred's Silver Surfer the other 30+ titles end somewhere between 10-18 issues, most at 10-12 and that's just sad.
    Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers runs were both about 35~40 issues each, which could easily be considered a single 75~ issue series.

Amazing Member

Anyone pick up the Spider-Man by Todd McFarlane Omnibus? How is the build/quality?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Harvey View Post
    Anyone pick up the Spider-Man by Todd McFarlane Omnibus? How is the build/quality?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pmaxySekOc

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnnykid View Post
    Thanks so much!

Fantastic Member

I appreciate the responses regarding Thunderbolts. Banter and soap opera? Count me in for characterization and drama!

Amazing Member

I appreciate the responses regarding Thunderbolts. Banter and soap opera? Count me in for characterization and drama!
    I guess that was my problem. It didn't make me care about the characters. They just seemed whiny. It was page after page of the "why am I so sad" and "whats wrong with me" I felt the same way about West Coast Avengers towards the middle of the omnibus. The Tigra love struggles just seemed to go on and on and I just didn't care anymore. And it always seemed like they were yelling at each other for no reason. I thought the beginning and even the end were much more enjoyable.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnnykid View Post
    Hmmm....thicker than i thought it would be. Haven't said that about a marvel book in a while

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    And after that is the fantastic Parker run
    Yes, with Luke Cage running the show
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Yeah it is a shame that there aren't longer runs, I love the 40-100 issue runs that have a defined start middle and finish, it is why I am really looking forward to (finally) reading my Phillips and Brubaker books and can't wait for the likes Chew, Manhattans Project and The massive to end so IO can read them in one go. What got me back into the big meaty books was reading Bone; what a great series.