Page 372 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2723223623683693703713723733743753763824224728721372 ... LastLast
Results 5,566 to 5,580 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Marvel has released a surfer epic every dec since 2014, do you think they'll do another this year?
    I hope so. I'm hoping for some Ron Marz issues, like maybe The Herald Ordeal ~crosses fingers~

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Regarding the Amazon fish, one thing of note is this listing:

Avengers: The Initiative - The Complete Collection Vol. 2 (released on 3/28/17).

There is no volume 1 for this listed, so that tells me there are more fish forthcoming. Else that listing is wrong, which wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.
    And yeah, I'll probably get that book, too - it's Slott, and the Initiative was a really good series, although like many series of this nature, no one really picked up any of those characters when the series was over...

And count me in on the Epics vs. Omnibuses these days. Easier to read, cheaper, come out more often, etc... I have switched my thoughts on this as of late. I used to be somewhat of a snob when it came to TPB, thinking, "it HAS to be HC, and ideally oversized, because TPBs are flimsy and fall apart, and all that..." but I look over the Epics I have that I've read a few times, they're like brand new. I guess I take real good care of my stuff, so the "TPBs will look tatterred and fall apart" argument I gave myself doesn't hold up. Now, would I rather have EPIC-like books but in HC, or better yet OHC? You betcha, but in the end, I think I'm heading to the Epic-style books more and more these days.

I'm not saying you're wrong, or I'm right, just saying this is what I'm doing. And I'm REALLY trying to get over my collector's OCD when it comes to my bookshelf, and let the HCs and OHCs/omnibuses and TPBs all cohabit-ate together.
    I think I'm making some progress... :-)
    I recently came to the same conclusion. In fact I think I prefer TPB to omnibus. I like to finish a book when I start it and 25 or maybe even 50 issues of a series is more than I want to read at a given time. I've really been enjoying the DC releases. They are about 12 issues (for 19.99 or less, so about $11 from IST) and I can read them at the pool or before I go to sleep in bed. Like you I found that I take really good care of my TPBs and they look brand new when I finish read them.

I still prefer the OHC to the 4-5 issue TPB but that is mostly because I don't like the tiny TPB and I do like to get around 10-12 issues of something in at a time. The oversized art is nice and the OHC from Marvel are still my preferred format.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Marvel has released a surfer epic every dec since 2014, do you think they'll do another this year?
    While this isn't a foolproof indicator, it hasn't appeared yet on Amazon despite there being further Epics scheduled past that point. Uncanny X-Men is in the December spot.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

The New Mutants epic announcement isn't welcome because it pushes back an omnibus by at least a year or because we all wanted this material back in print in paperback. It's welcome because it means we might get a volume with issues 74-85 next, which is the last gap that has never been reprinted, and at this point how else were we ever going to get that if not in a comprehensive reprint program like the epic line?

Same with X-Factor, we could have gotten the #41-59 volume next, which would have wrapped up the "original 5" era after the volume 1 that was so cruelly snatched from us. Excalibur is trickier but there's no way anything past the initial run gets an omnibus, so an epic announcement is really exciting because how else would we ever get it all? Even the previous reprints, the Classics, skipped a few issues!

Whether or not I re-buy volumes for the Epic branding when I already have them in paperback, I don't know. I guess it'll depend on if there's anything new collected and if I want to show sales support badly enough to do it. But even if I do, we're talking about just a few bucks to upgrade once I offload the previous volumes, so it's hardly a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Climate controlled house in Canada with much less humidity than most parts of the world. Had the book for over a year, still looks like this. The pages are wavy all throughout.

Attachment 37618
    This is probably much less a factory issue than a shipping issue. Stuff coming from China on a boat have much more potential for problems.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Do we know what's in the New Mutants and Excalibur epics?

Quote Originally Posted by WTHIOTina View Post
    Do we know what's in the New Mutants and Excalibur epics?
    Yes, actually! About 480-520 pages worth of comics, give or take!

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    I hope so. I'm hoping for some Ron Marz issues, like maybe The Herald Ordeal ~crosses fingers~
    I hope they finish Englehart's run first. Another volume would cover that.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Yes, actually! About 480-520 pages worth of comics, give or take!
    Haha - you got jokes :P
    Do we know WHAT SPECIFIC issues are included?

Spectacular Member

I'm actually pretty happy to be getting Excalibur and New Mutants as Epics rather than Omnis. This way there is at leasta decent chance of the entire series getting collected eventually. I don't see those ever getting more than one Omni unless they are tied to movies and even then it'd be two or three years between volumes. With Epics there is a much better chance of getting at least one or more volume a year. I'm all about releasing everything up until the late 90's as Epics.

I usually only follow the thread to see the Amazon fishes and when the new Hachette catalog comes out. But early everybody was talking about how some of the Omnibuses can be too big, like Simonson's Thor or Fall of Mutants for instance. Where a OHC is much more enjoyable since you can actually read it and say take it on a car trip for reading.

So what is the cut off on size for everyone?

I know with Marvel's thinner paper the books are getting lighter and thinner. I've seen comparisons between the 1st print of Miller's Daredevil vs 3rd print. So maybe even a reprint of Simonson's Thor would be manageable. The ground between 1.5 and 2 inches is the cloudy part. Claremont's X-Men vol1 is manageable, but vol 2 too big.
    it's all in the reflexes

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThePorkChopEx View Post

I know with Marvel's thinner paper the books are getting lighter and thinner. I've seen comparisons between the 1st print of Miller's Daredevil vs 3rd print. So maybe even a reprint of Simonson's Thor would be manageable. The ground between 1.5 and 2 inches is the cloudy part. Claremont's X-Men vol1 is manageable, but vol 2 too big.
    I'd say in the neighborhood of 500 pages is pushing max. capacity for an OHC where reading comfort is concerned (I have Infinity in mind here, or Spider-Verse e.g.).

I've been trying to track down UXM Masterworks for the reason you cite above. Further, Time Runs Out's release will officially mark the end of my regular Marvel purchases (aside from the occasional Masterwork and Epic). Everything released over the better part of last year has felt like a big comedown after Secret Wars. And w/ the House of Ideas already recycling the idea of Civil War, things do not look promising.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by WTHIOTina View Post
    Haha - you got jokes :P
    Do we know WHAT SPECIFIC issues are included?
    Both are volume ones. Both are roughly the first two classics of each, give or take a few issues. Based on the listed creators, Excalibur will have their MCP arc added plus some pre-Excalibur Captain Britain material. New Mutants still includes UXM #167 and seems to have Magik's mini-series added as well as prior appearances by some of the team from Marvel Team-Up.

Nothing is set until we see the solicits come out.
    Last edited by krisis; 07-07-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Wow. I received my Sal Buscema Hulk Artist Select Series HC from IDW today and IT IS INCREDIBLE!!!! I ordered it last weekend when IDW had their online sale and got it for only $75 ($100 cover price)!

I received copy 224/999 and it comes signed and numbered, in a slipcase with cloth wrapping (similar to the old style prestige hardcover library type books), dust jacket and with some clear color guides for a splash page of a Hulk issue from this volume. Simply amazing, IDW!

The physical size of the book is larger (taller) than a traditional Marvel Omnibus HC, but smaller than the Adamantium size HC books. All in all, this book is perfect. The restoration (to my eyes) appears at the MMW quality and the paper weight feels nice and "thick" in your hands. Kind of like the old resume paper from back in the day.

I highly recommend the IDW artist select series books, if anyone is interested. I've got the Hulk Buscema & Trimpe volumes and am seriously considering the Bill Sikewnwerwiaiufdsaifzxkljzch volume of New Mutants coming later this fall. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePorkChopEx View Post
    I usually only follow the thread to see the Amazon fishes and when the new Hachette catalog comes out. But early everybody was talking about how some of the Omnibuses can be too big, like Simonson's Thor or Fall of Mutants for instance. Where a OHC is much more enjoyable since you can actually read it and say take it on a car trip for reading.

I would say around 700 pages. Like the WCA omnibus especially or a bit above 800 like F4 V2. But the most comfortable is around 3-400pgs for me.
    Still getting some of the bigger ones but I'm getting concerned about them with the new cheaper build.