Page 474 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 374424464470471472473474475476477478484524574974 ... LastLast
Results 7,096 to 7,110 of 20762
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    So if I have the Infinity and Infinity Companion OHC's I only need to buy:

New Avengers Vol 1
    Avengers Vol 1
    Avengers Vol 2
    Avengers: Time runs out

For the complete Hickman run?
    No.
    Avengers 2 OHC is all already in the Infinity OHC. Skip Avengers 2.

Get:
    New Avengers Vol 1 and 2
    Avengers Vol 1 and 3
    Secret Wars

And you'll have everything.

Or you can wait for both omnibuses of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    No.
    Avengers 2 OHC is all already in the Infinity OHC. Skip Avengers 2.

Get:
    New Avengers Vol 1 and 2
    Avengers Vol 1 and 3
    Secret Wars

And you'll have everything.

Or you can wait for both omnibuses of course.
    Oh like my OCD will let me buy Avengers one and three but not two...

What is the paper quality like on the OHC's and recent omnibus editions? The Infinity OHC had really thin paper.

Spectacular Member

What is the paper quality like on the OHC's and recent omnibus editions? The Infinity OHC had really thin paper.
    Better than Infinity, but not much better.

No, just set the two number ones next to each other, then vol. 2 and then 3

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    That may work!

Spectacular Member

That's actually exactly what I did with mine, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Better than Infinity, but not much better.
    And how has the omnibus paper been recently?

OK, can someone explain this Kung Fu **** to me.
    I thought there were going to be four omnibus books. It looks like maybe five.
    Looking at titles on CGN, here's what I see:

DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL 01 HC
    SHANG-CHI MASTER OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL 01 HC
    SHANG-CHI MASTER OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL 02 HC
    SHANG-CHI MASTER OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL 03 HC

It appears there's going to be a Shang-Chi Vol. 4, right?

Also, which books cover the 1-125 issue run that Doug Moench wrote (or at least wrote a bunch of)?

Finally, is this stuff any good? I'm not really looking for a nostalgic read, but actually something decent.

I recall reading some of the final issues - maybe 110-125 - years and years and years ago but, quite frankly, I don't remember if I liked them. I do recall that the cover of issue # 125 was bad ass.

Also, Moench was always known for being a pretty solid writer but some of that Bronze Age stuff is seriously hit or miss. Usually miss.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Amazing Member

Also, which books cover the 1-125 issue run that Doug Moench wrote (or at least wrote a bunch of)?

Finally, is this stuff any good? I'm not really looking for a nostalgic read, but actually something decent.

I recall reading some of the final issues - maybe 110-125 - years and years and years ago but, quite frankly, I don't remember if I liked them. I do recall that the cover of issue # 125 was bad ass.

Also, Moench was always known for being a pretty solid writer but some of that Bronze Age stuff is seriously hit or miss. Usually miss.

I've read the first 20% of Shang-Chi Master of Kung Fu vol 1 and I have enjoyed it for the most part. Basically it is Shang-Chi wandering around foiling Fu Manchu's plots, avoiding being killed and learning what life is like away from his father. I like the art for the most part too. I don't think it is a must read, I'm on the fence about Vol 2, but I don't regret reading it so far. Maybe that isn't the best endorsement, but I think it is a little better than "good" but not "great". FWIW I usually like the bronze age stuff I read.

I think you should shy away from it if you don't want to read cheesy, over-the-top, kung fu stories. I mean it came out in the seventies and eighties, that's when the so called Kung Fu craze happened, thanks to Bruce Lee. The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu Omnibus does have some comics BUT it's a magazine that featured articles about Kung Fu, so that's definitely something you wouldn't want unless you love that era of history. I can't say the stories are that great. The "action," which is kung fu, is great if you're into that sort of thing.
    If you want the comics, get the Shang-Chi Master of Kung Fu Omnibus, the Deadly Hands Magazine is just a Companion piece. The thing as a whole is very niche. So if it doesn't interest you just by knowing it's about Kung Fu then don't get it. On the other hand, I could see this going out of print and the licensing expiring so it'll be difficult to come by again when that happens. Also, he'll most likely appear in the Iron Fist Netflix show so that will drive up the prices once they are out of print. At least that's my prediction...

I hope my point of view helps, after all this is a discussion forum.

Master of Kung Fu is the series that is mostly Moench you are thinking of. Deadly Hands is a magazine Marvel published that is comics, articles and pictures etc.

Thanks for the responses about the Kung Fu stuff.
    So glad I didn't get the very first one that's more magazine than comic.
    I'm a little on the fence but perhaps I'll grab the first Shang-Chi and give it a shot. I figure I can at least get close to breaking even on Ebay if I don't like it.
    One thing about the Bronze Age that I did like was that Marvel wasn't afraid to experiment. The execution might not have worked all that great, but they gave it a shot.
    Lot of odd stuff when you think about it. Ghost Rider, Son of Satan, the Champions (at a time when the Avengers and Defenders were big), Moon Knight (multi-personality vigilante who dresses in all white), etc.

Thanks for the responses about the Kung Fu stuff.
    So glad I didn't get the very first one that's more magazine than comic.
    I'm a little on the fence but perhaps I'll grab the first Shang-Chi and give it a shot. I figure I can at least get close to breaking even on Ebay if I don't like it.
    One thing about the Bronze Age that I did like was that Marvel wasn't afraid to experiment. The execution might not have worked all that great, but they gave it a shot.
    Lot of odd stuff when you think about it. Ghost Rider, Son of Satan, the Champions (at a time when the Avengers and Defenders were big), Moon Knight (multi-personality vigilante who dresses in all white), etc.
    Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu Omnibus Vol 1 was, no lie, the worst Marvel volume I've ever bought in my life. And I picked up some clunkers like Avengers The Crossing and Secret Wars II. I bought MOKFU on a whim, having never read any of the material before. The original series ended just about the time I was first picking up single issues off the racks as a kid back in the 80s, so I knew who the character was, I'd just never been exposed to it or read any of it before. I read all the hype and hyperbole over on the MMW MB about how great and all time classic of a series it was (a hidden gem!) and I bought the vol 1 Omnibus. I figured what the heck, I can always flip it later on on eBay after supply dries up if I don't like it. Besides, it's a one time printing now that Marvel has the rights back! It MUST BE GREAT, right? Well, long story short, I hated it. I tried so hard to like it but it was just terrible. AND I TRIED. Garbage.

I posted a review of it on these boards when I first got it last spring but don't feel like digging it up again. In summary: I made it thru about the first 1/3 of the Omnibus before I gave up. Basically, Shang Chi goes around screaming about how FU MANCHU is his FATHER ever third breath and I got so sick of it I just stopped reading it. It's bad bronze age comics. I'd give it a 3/10 or worse.

I can read a lot of old stuff and appreciate it for what it is. And I like all kinds of comics. Silver Age Spidey & FF are cheesy. Silver Age Hulk is all over the place while they try to develop the character. Silver Age X-Men is bad in spots, but at least the creative energy is there. Bronze Age Marvel has its high points like the Spidey drug issues, some of the Conan stuff, and Avengers is pretty good in spots. Over at DC, the 70s had some good Superman & Batman stuff. But MOKFU was just utter junk. Save yourself the $60. If you're Jonesing for some Bronze Age stuff, pick up the Englehart/Marshall Rogers Batman HC. Or the upcoming Spidey vol 3. The worst issues in any of those runs will be light years ahead of the Shang Chi stuff.

Apparently a lot of readers felt the same way, because there were huge #s for the 1st month's sale of the MOKU v1 Omnibus, but the v2 dropped waaayyy off. Granted, they always sell more of a first volume, than successive editions, but this thing was the biggest letdown I've ever read in the Marvel Omnibus line of books in my opinion. Other folks like it, I get it, and good for them. It's just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    I'm looking to pick up some MMW volumes.

Can anyone comment on

-the quality of Englehart's run on Captain America?
    -Len Wein's run on Incredible Hulk (you know, the issues around where Wolverine makes his appearance).

Thanks
    Generally this era of Hulk is pretty much one-and-done single issues with various subplots carrying on from issue to issue, but nothing you wouldn't get caught up to speed on at the beginning of each issue. There are better runs through the years but it's OK, not great. Let's see ... the Hulk battles Wolverine, the Shaper of Worlds, Gremlin, and Glorian show up, Hulk battles Abomination & Doc Samson, Jarella dies (SPOILER ALERT!) and so forth.

Personally, I'd recommend going with Mantlo or PAD's run over anything Wein or Roy Thomas did.

Spectacular Member

Like grahamgg, I enjoy many eras of flawed comics, but I thought MoKF was only okay, "good" at its best. I read through issue 50 and I don't know if I'll have the stamina to pick it up again. I enjoyed it to an extent; it's a fast-paced read, and it DOES get a lot more serious if you make it farther in than grahamgg did. Mostly I think the Gulacy art kept me reading, and there doesn't seem to be much of him after issue 50.